How to Get a Malaysian Car & Motorcycle Driving License

This article was written back in 11th April 2009 when I first started writing tips on how to obtain a Malaysian driving license.

The idea is to help driving students to secure their driving license in the shortest time possible.

With the passage of time, many changes have occurred in the Malaysian driving school industry.

As such in 2017, a revision to this entire article is required.

To apply for a Malaysian driving license, these are the criteria you need to know.

The Age Limit For Different Class License In Malaysia

First, you have to know the age limits to get a driving license in Malaysia.

Malaysian who have attained the age of 16 can obtain a B2 (motorcycle).

To obtain a D (car) license, you would have to be 17 years old and above.

Those wanting to get an E (lorry) and H (tractor) licenses must be 21 years or above.

Those who want to get the above three classes of license must first of all pass the Highway Code test.

The Highway Code exam is conducted in either English or Bahasa Malaysia.

To learn the 10 tips to pass the Highway Code test, CLICK HERE.

The Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (JPJ) also conducts test in oral for those are not too proficient in the above two languages.

For those in the above category, do seek the assistance of a good driving instructor or a reputable driving institute near you.

For Class B2 & B Full License Students

Having passed the Highway Code, those who are interested to get a motorcycle licence, an “L” or the Probationary Driver’s License (PDL) can be taken out at any branch of the JPJ.

The PDL will allow you to begin learning how to ride a motorcycle at any driving institute you’ve registered with.

Under the new JPJ regulations of learning motorcycle, only “driving institutes” have the required personnel (SPIM) holders to train you on how to ride a bike.

The institute will provide amenities such as new motorbikes, luminous motorcycle vests, helmets and most important of all the motorcycle circuits or litar required to conduct training for the learning of motorcycle handling.

For your information, the institute to which I am presently attached to has a Superbike (501 cc and above) and also a 3 wheeled motorcycle to train handicapped or OKU riders too.

Learning of all classes of motorcycles requires the “thumb-printing” process of all the potential learners, that is the students as well as the instructors.

With the thumb-printing process, driving institutes can now log the exact hours of learning your have done in the training circuit with your PDL.

Suffice to say, all driving institutes in Malaysia are fully computerised as far as motorcycle learning is concerned.

When you have fulfill the training requirement, a student has to undergo a QTI or pra-ujian conducted by the institute’s internal testers before the real motorcycle test by JPJ officials.

For Class D (Car) License Students

For Class D license students who have passed their Highway Code test, you can get a PDL license enabling you to start taking up driving lessons with a driving instructor.

Unlike many years ago, where driving instructors conduct training of students in housing estates, town centres or the vicinity of kampungs, nowadays, the driving lessons take place in the locality of the driving institutes premises itself.

This is not only safer and more convenient, modern driving institutes today have better amenities such as toilet, canteens, surau or prayer rooms and parking facilities for motorcycles, cars, tractors and lorries.

Institutes of today also possess ascending or “going up the slope” facilities, roundabouts and special areas to conduct the Rutin Pemeriksaan Kenderaan (RPK).

RPK is the new learning requirement which has been implemented by JPJ.

Class D License Training Syllabus

Driving Institute

If you are planning to get a class D driving license, the following are the syllabus which you have to go through:

a) 01 or KPP 7 Hours theory course.

b) 02 or 5 1/2 hours course where candidates are taught the Rutin Pemeriksaan Kenderaan (RPK) and Rutin Sebelum Memandu (RSM).

c) 03 course where a total of 15 to 16 hours practical lessons is conducted for learning of going uphill, side parking, 3 point turn maneuver, S turn and Z turn are all executed.

The entire process of learning how to drive has to be conducted in the vicinity of the driving institute.

Similar to motorcycle students, cars students has to go through the Qualifying Test (QTI) or pra ujian test with the institute’s internal testers before the real driving test by JPJ officials.

These days, one should take note that not everyone can instruct you on the road for driving lessons.

Gone are the days where your father, uncle or husband who has the experience can teach you the mechanics of driving.

Today, the issuance of driving know-how is bestowed only to instructors engaged by driving schools or driving institutes.

Nowadays, the Perodua Kancils are slowly being edged out and the bigger and more versatile Perodua Axia car is being used for driving lessons instead.

Depending of your standard of driving, a student needs to take up classes of up to 16 hours of driving.

A course by a good and reputable instructor will help you to become a safe and careful driver on the road.

For Class E (Lorry) and H (Tractor) Students

For class E (lorry) and H (tractor) students, those who have pass the Highway Code can take out their PDL also.

You should enroll with a driving institutes that has a tractor, lorry or trailer together with a competent instructor to teach you.

In this article, I have covered the process to get a Malaysian driving license for motorcycle (B2 / B Full), D (Car) and E (Lorry) and H (Tractor).

I hope what I have shared is helpful to you.

Good luck and welcome to a world of driving experience.

By | 2019-04-30T14:49:29+08:00 April 11th, 2009|Driving License|356 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Sue Yin April 13, 2009 at 5:04 am - Reply

    dear Uncle, I must say that I must have you to thank for me being able to drive. Well, tell you the truth, my heart always SANK when I saw you coming… HAHA yeah I was that SCAREDDDD of you really. and sis was toooo… anyway, frm the bottom of my heart, here’s a word of thank Q that I’ve not said to you before…

    and WOW, you’re so HAPPENING, with your own blog :-)

    • admin April 13, 2009 at 5:14 am - Reply

      Dear Sue,

      Thanks for your comment on our blog. I’ll pass the message to my dad.

      What do you think of our blog? I’ll be the one moderating it. My dad just write his thoughts on paper and I type it out.


      • Jason April 17, 2010 at 11:13 am - Reply

        hi there
        need some help here.
        I have been driving for more them 15years now with a D licence.
        Now im planning to get a full B licence,
        how do i obtain a L licence to sit for B test?
        Do i still need to go through all the course or just go to JPJ to ask for L licence?

        • Cikgu Yap April 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm - Reply

          The topic of B Full license has been cover. Please read the following article ==> Securing Motorcycle B Full Super Bikes License

          • Chand Davinor April 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

            Good Morning! Uncle Yap,
            I am a foreigner and I have a problem. May I register in your school? Can please advice me of your school.
            Thank you in Advance.


          • Cikgu Yap April 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm

            Where is your location?

  2. Sue Yin April 13, 2009 at 5:41 am - Reply

    Yup, I think it’s just great that you set this up for him… Good way to spend his time…My full support to it!! :-)

    and KUDOS to you tooo! do keep the articles coming!

  3. shoba April 19, 2009 at 1:44 am - Reply

    Hi can you please give your contact details. I stay in Shah Alam near Bukit Saga and I need to learn to drive and if your dad lives around this place I can use his tutoring.

    • admin April 19, 2009 at 4:37 am - Reply

      Hi Shoba,

      Thank you for visiting our blog.

      Please include your contact details and we will get back to you ASAP.


  4. Ibrahim May 12, 2009 at 12:19 pm - Reply

    Hi, my name is ibrahim. I am a foreigner. I want to learn Driving in your school,can I get aliecence?iam a student

    • admin May 12, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply

      Hello Ibrahim,

      Thank you for visiting our blog. I will contact you via email.


  5. Le Dang Tai May 25, 2009 at 9:07 am - Reply

    I need you help. Does anyone know to change driving license in Malaysia?


    • admin May 26, 2009 at 2:24 am - Reply

      Hi Tai,

      Thank you for visiting our blog. I’m assuming when you mention “change driving license”, you meant to renew your driving license. In this case you can visit MyEG portal at You can get your license renewed online.


  6. Melissa July 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm - Reply

    Hi, I found your blog very useful! Precise without being complicated. I spent awhile on the JPJ website without learning much about how to obtain a driving license.. Thanks aloot!

  7. Jia Yun August 27, 2009 at 8:09 am - Reply


    I have 2 questions to ask. I am 16 this year, and if I plan to take my driving exam during the first half of next year, I can take my undang test already right? I heard from one of my friends that the undang certificate is valid for only one year.

    My second question is that, let’s say I am taking my undang test this year, and I passed it already. When am I allowed to start my driving lessons? Am I allowed to start learning before my birthday and take the practical exam right after my birthday? Or do I have to wait till after my birthday to start lessons?

    I would appreciate very much if you can reply to my e-mail. Thank you for your attention, have a nice day! :)

    • admin August 27, 2009 at 3:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Jia Yun,

      At 16, you can take the Highway Code Exam. Your undang-undang result is valid for 1 year.

      You can start your driving lesson only when you’re 17.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  8. cK September 4, 2009 at 3:58 am - Reply


    I’ve a question about licenses. Currently i’ve D class license for many years but not B2/B class license. So to obtain B2/B license what are the procedure/lesson/exam that i need to take?

    BTW, i owe a bike and i’ve ride that bike for 2 years using L license way back then before i took my D class license.


    • admin September 5, 2009 at 5:40 am - Reply

      Dear cK,

      You are exempted from the Highway Code. However, you have to attend the 6 Hour Theory course. When you’ve done that, take out a new L.D.L. (Learner’s Driver’s License).

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  9. Ricky Low September 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm - Reply

    Hello! Excuse me, I am hearing impaired singaporean and would like to know about driving license. Can I apply for driving license course? But I pass Basic Theory Test paper with me and expiry date:n.a. I can take or not.

    Thank you

    • admin September 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm - Reply

      Dear Ricky Low,

      Here are some of my suggestions for you:

      1) Because of your hearing impaired, get a hearing aid.

      2) You can get the Malaysia driving license in Johore.

      3) Is your Basic Theory Test Malaysia or Singapore paper?

      4) You have to pass the Malaysia Highway Code.

      5) Suggest reading ==> The Importance of Hearing To Drivers

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  10. Ricky Low September 5, 2009 at 6:40 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr Yap,

    Yes, of cos! I wearing my hearing aid. Basic Theory Test