Appealing For Traffic Summons By MBPJ

Of late, Malaysian drivers have been reading much regarding the issue of saman ekor by the police authorities.

Close co-operation between the police department and the Road Transport Department has led to the blacklisting of drivers who have failed to pay up their summons. In the event a driver has failed to settle his summons, be it an ordinary summons or a “saman ekor”, a blacklisted driver cannot renew his driving license. Neither can a driver attempt to secure his road tax for the vehicle he is driving. In short, the driver cannot drive at all.

Some people are of the opinion that the police authorities should not issue a saman ekor to drivers. They say it is not fair.

In a summons issued to a driver, a driver is given a period of 30 days to settle his summons with the authorities, be it the police, J.P.J. or even the local authorities.

Normally, after the one month duration for an offender to settle his summons has elapsed, to be fair to the authorities, no option is yet taken upon the offender. Letters of warnings are initially sent out to offenders to kindly remind them to settle the outstanding summons.

In fact, quite a few warning letters are sent out to offenders. Only as a final resort will a relevant authority, which has been unable to collect the outstanding summons for quite some time will finally resort to issuing its LAST warning letter to offenders who have chosen to ignore those letters.

I should know what I am talking about. A few years ago, I received a pink coloured warning letter from the Legal Adviser of the Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya (MBPJ), threatening to haul me to court for non payment of a few parking tickets long outstanding. Only a visit to the MBPJ authorities in Petaling Jaya finally settled the issued.

Inspite the above, PBPJ officers were more than understanding. They were good enough to listen to my appeal. In hearing that I was a pensioned person and that the car was registered under my name but driven and used by my son, they quickly responded by allowing me to pay the outstanding summons at a reduced rate.

An officer of the department even went on to advise me that in future, should I receive a parking summons, say for RM50, one could even send a sum of RM30 to the authorities concerned. And believe it or not, MBPJ will normally “close on eye” and accept the summons as having been paid. Up to today, I still have the receipts that were paid for the summons settled for fines in my personal files.

By | 2012-09-21T20:25:21+08:00 December 17th, 2010|Driving In Malaysia|6 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Silver Nil Talahib December 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm - Reply

    Im a foreigner married to a local and my wife bought a car for me to use while staying here… Im using a Philippines international driving license and i want to know if there’s a time limit for me to drive and if i can renew my international license here in malaysia specifically in sabah…

    and in addition i will be working in one of the colleges here in sabah…. me and my wife decided to settle down here… but im still holding a multiple visit pass which is valid for 2 years but renewable… so i needed a car and a license…thank you..

    • Cikgu Yap December 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm - Reply

      Foreign driving licenses can be used in Malaysia for a reasonable period of time.

  2. Maz December 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm - Reply

    Hi there,

    I am Malaysian and now live in Canada. I have driven a car in many other countries but never had a real license. I need to get a Malaysian Drivers license so I can drive in Canada as it is very hard to get a license here. Any idea how I can do this? or if I come back to Malaysia for a short time what can I do? Thank you!!!

    • Cikgu Yap December 21, 2010 at 3:58 pm - Reply

      You have to be good either in BM or English to pass the Highway Code. You’ll need at least 45 – 50 days if you want to test for a license here.

  3. Ai Weai August 18, 2012 at 9:49 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu, Suami saya accident with a motorcycle at last few days. my husband out from a junction to main road together parallel with another van on our right side, sebelum keluar we saw that no more vehicle from right of the main road, so when the van keluar, we also follow. suddently we heard a horn sound of motor.. then suddently the van drive fast to cross the road… oh ohh after the van go we only see a motor from right come to us…. we even step on petrol also cannot skip it.. finally the motor crash our back right side…. the motor very fast… the rider hurd his leg… rescue worker said the bone of calf might be broke… when the trafiic come and see and advise us no need report… since we see this accident to injure the rider.. so we decided to report… at police station ding dong ding dong.. at last we know that rider no license! the sarjan ask us with for the judgement from him… after 3 days the sarjan told might get compound and charge us RM4000 to RM10000. OH MY GOD…. so expensive!!! cikgu, adakah summon so expensive! view on the accident.. is it all our fault?

    • Cikgu Yap August 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm - Reply

      Since you are involved in an accident with another party, you might be charged under Section 43 (RTO) by the Courts. It’s true, the fine can vary from RM4000 – RM10,000, unfortunately.

Leave A Comment