Operating A School Bus or Bas Sekolah In Malaysia

Some parents send their children to school. Others cycle to school. Still there are others who walk to school daily. There is a small group of pupils however who go to school by bus. Maybe you may wish to be a “school bus” driver. Like any other jobs, you should possess a few qualities to be a good school bus driver.

One, you have to like the idea of getting up early. Because as you know, school starts quite early. With the present day jam and what not, you have to be an early bird. Besides this, one should also like children. If you have no “rapport” with them, then you’re going to have problems controlling them. You must also have a good rapport with the students’ parents themselves as well.

If you choose to own a medium-sized “bas sekolah” or “school bus”, a Toyota or Datsun would be ideal.

The above, they ferry some 20 – 25 students. Permit to operate a school bus lies with the L.P.K.P. or Lembaga Pelesenan Kenderaan Perdagangan.

To operate a small school bus, you first would require a bus. You also must posses at least a “D” driving license to be able to drive the vehicle. You should also get a P.S.V. (Public Service Vehicle) badge.

The bus you own, being a public service vehicle like taxis, for example, must be in good condition. It should therefore be sent for examination once in 6 months. Puspakom will be the relevant authorities responsible for the vehicle’s inspection.

Your vehicle should ideally be air-conditioned. Malaysian students and their parents as well are a rather “choosy” lot. They want the best for their children. They do not mind paying more.

As mentioned earlier, your school bus being service orientated, should posses the basic amenities such as first aid box and safety items such as fire extinguishers.

One other item normally overlooked by most other school buses is the “triangular red-coloured warning sign” or the “tanda amaran segi tiga”. Ensure that these 2 items are in your vehicle’s possession.

Before I forget, there is one other thing that needs to be mentioned. The insurance for the bus and the school children is meant to ferry or carry.

Being an entrepreneur interested in this business, you would have little problem dealing with issue. Should you have any other problems facing you, do feel free to drop this blog a line, and yours sincerely would be ever ready to assist.

By | 2012-09-22T10:47:37+08:00 September 2nd, 2009|Public Service Vehicle|51 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Carol June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm - Reply

    Hi, I am keen to to know more as I am thinking of opening a business in this. I don’t intend to drive the bus but will look for bus driver. Is that possible? Also, where can I buy a school bus?

    • Cikgu Yap June 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm - Reply

      Should you possess the capital to buy a bus, by all means you can operate such a business. You can always get a good driver, train him up and carry on with your business. You are advised to get bus drivers in your area and talk to them about this school bus business.

  2. Joseph Tan September 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm - Reply

    Thanks for Your sharing.

    1) What are the penalty on owner of private-vehicle who illegal school ferry school children?
    2) There are so many of them, yet, the school children are not protected by insurance, am I correct?

    • Cikgu Yap September 27, 2011 at 10:38 pm - Reply

      Using private vehicle to be school bus is not encouraged. It has no insurance coverage. If caught by the authorities, the fine is very high. Your vehicle can also be confiscated.

  3. Hari October 9, 2011 at 10:30 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,
    Great article here. Thanks for sharing this.

    May I know, other than LPKP, and Puspakom, are there any other procedures for registration?

    For info, I’m planning to convert a van into a mini school bus. Any special requirements? And is it compulsory to color it yellow?

    Thanks cikgu

    • Cikgu Yap October 11, 2011 at 11:58 am - Reply

      First, apply for permission to run bas sekolah business from Putrajaya. Mini school buses have to be compulsory printed in yellow.

      • Hari October 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm - Reply

        Thanks very much!

        • Ong Seng Chee September 23, 2019 at 6:28 pm - Reply

          Dear Cikgu Yap/Will Yap,
          You have some great comments on operating a school bus. I have some enquiry regarding my China Jin Bei van. I bought it from a friend who operates it as a mobility van for wheelchair bound persons. It has been fitted with a power lift for wheel chair and I bought it because I have 2 OKU children which I need to take them to-and-fro Spastic Center and home in PJ. To reduce my running cost of the van, I would like to ferry wheel chair persons to hospitals, clinic, shopping malls, etc. on part time basis. Do I need to apply or register with JPJ to do this type of business?
          Appreciate if you could advise me on how to go about it. Thank you.
          Yours sincerely,
          Ong Seng Chee

          • Cikgu Yap September 23, 2019 at 10:54 pm

            A van which is intended to be used as a “transport” vehicle has first to be registered and approved by J.P.J. Suggest you call over at any J.P.J. Office to seek their advice & views. The above will only be ever ready to assist you.

  4. Aji November 6, 2011 at 2:55 am - Reply

    Really good article. Thanks cikgu. I run a tuition centre & intend to offer transport services. How do I go about the registration of the vehicle (I intend to buy a 14 seater van & hire a driver). What category do I register it under ( bas sekolah?).. I intend to paint and stencil the van to match my centre. Is that allowed? Do I need to have a PSV license?

    • Cikgu Yap November 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm - Reply

      Your decision to get a 14 sitter as bas sekolah is a good proposal. Registering it as a bas sekolah, you’ll have to paint it canary yellow. Should you decide to use your tuition centre’s logo/colour, then you have to register the van as a private used vehicle. Ideally, it’s better always to have a PSV badge in instances such as yours. Do not forget the necessary insurance too.

      • Aji November 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm - Reply

        Thanks so much.. That was really helpful :-)

    • Zairi January 20, 2016 at 11:44 am - Reply

      Hi… finally i found some one could help me in this blog.

      I wanted to convert my van to Mini Bus School, what i have now:

      1. SPAD approval
      2. SKM registered
      3. Original Reg card
      4. PSV

      SO what next step should i go ?

      If possible step by step>

      Thanks in advance.

      • Cikgu Yap January 29, 2016 at 5:29 pm - Reply

        I feel it is better to get a new vehicle if you wish to set up a bus sekolah. Less problems.

  5. Kate November 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm - Reply

    Dear Mr. Yap,

    If the car stops at the yellow line correctly in slope test and after balancing it,it goes back and slips and stops before the yellow line,is it accepted or concerned as fail?if accepted,what can I do to do the slope?Still pulling the handbrake,balancing the car and pushing the accelator or other things to do??:-/

    • Cikgu Yap November 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm - Reply

      As long as the car rolls back half a tyre, it is considered a failure. Assuming that the car rolls back slightly and is allowed, in such situation, step more petrol and release the clutch slightly faster to make the car shoot up the slope quickly. But do remember, you’ll have to control the car well to avoid any unforeseen circumstances occurring.

  6. Katte November 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr. Yap,

    Finally I passed the test,special thanks for you because of your good posts.

  7. eliz November 23, 2011 at 11:00 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,
    I have a PSV License, I am able to drive a bas persian and mini buses and able to pick up pessanges. I would like to know cikgu, since I am using an Avanza, I would like to pick-up students to tuition centres or schools. What documents should I need. Must I register my Avanza ? Can I Just go ahead like that and directly pick up students with this PSV license. Pls help. As I would like to try this bussiness. Using it a private vehicle
    Thank you & Regards.

    • Cikgu Yap November 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm - Reply

      Tu run a school bus, you’ll need a PSV license. Ideally register your Avanza legally with JPJ. Register your business and have all necessary insurance overage. Send your vehicle for Puspakom inspection periodically. Ensure that emergency triangles, medical kits and fire extinguishers are available in your vehicle. I further suggest that you meet with other school bus operator in your vicinity to gather further information about this occupation.

  8. Azhar December 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm - Reply

    Hai cikgu Yap,I’m from Hyundai bus Malaysia.Now we have mini bus chassis 7 meter and long chassis 11.5 meter suitable for make school bus.The price also attractive until end of this year.If you have any plan to buy a new bus for school bus operating or want to know more information please let me know.TQ

    • Cikgu Yap December 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm - Reply

      Thank you for providing a valuable information regarding Hyundai buses. Hopefully our readers who are interested to start a school bus service will take special notice.

  9. Ng January 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Isn’t there a Union or some association limiting the number of school buses around the country? I’m from Penang and wondering if there’s such restriction or we can actually start a biz(personal biz) by obtaining the PSV and Class “D” licenses, JPJ or/and LPKP approval to start transporting school children?

    • Cikgu Yap February 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm - Reply

      There is an association for school buses. But it’s the individuals that makes the decision. See authorities to get all necessary requirement and regulations.

  10. Janie March 4, 2012 at 1:46 am - Reply


    Hope that u able to help me in below issue which I facing.
    Recently I just purchase a van sekolah , Mazda 15 years wit rm 25k.
    Is it expensive.
    Second, many minor minor faulty is this normal or anything I can do to ask the seller repair.
    Is it still profitable or is there any way of getting more student. As current I have only 6 students.
    As I started after school start most student have sch buss already. So I have very less student now. I also get some business from tuition centre but I hope can source other way to increase my student per trip. Any suggestion?

    • Cikgu Yap March 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

      In any business, you have to be patient. Build up your clients gradually. In the long run, I’m sure your business will improve. Getting students from tuition centres is definitely a good idea. Sending students and groups for short trips is another suggestion you could think about. The 15 year old Mazda sounds slightly expensive. Nevertheless, you could discuss it with the seller to assist you with minor repairs.

  11. ann July 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm - Reply

    Dear cikgu,

    My husband and i intend to start our own school van services.
    My husband is currently driving a tourist bas.
    He has a valid driving licence and psv.
    My question is:
    What is the procedure to do this business?
    What is the most suitable and affordable van to purchase
    I noticed in your forum above, insurance is needed, where can i purchase them, do i walk in to any agents?
    Which division in putrajaya domi approach.


    • Cikgu Yap July 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm - Reply

      Your husband already has the basic requirements such as experience, PSV and driving license. There exists in the market currently vehicle from China and Korea that seems to me very suitable to be used as bus sekolah.

      I’m not certain, but you are advised to visit Putrajaya to seek all advices you require. If not mistaken, SPAD is in charge of bus sekolah services.

  12. Tiffany Leong October 4, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu

    My husband wishes to operate school VAN as his business now, wish to know the requirement and procedure prior to servicing school student beginning Jan 14.

    Kindly advise in details. Thank you in advance.


    • Cikgu Yap October 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm - Reply

      Your husband’s intention to run a school bus business is good. The date line of Jan 14 appears slightly short though. Read the article above carefully. Find out all the requirement needed then visit JPJ Putrajaya and seek all the advice required.

  13. Tiffany Leong October 7, 2013 at 9:50 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu

    Besides, can I register the permit via local JPJ i.e. in Salak South or I have to go to Putrajaya. If yes, what is the contact N/o? Is JPJ same to L.P.K.P.?

    Thank you.


  14. jay October 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm - Reply

    i am planning to do public transportation using 9 seater van. from my housing area to bus terminal but i dont know the procedures… need your advice please.

    • Cikgu Yap October 20, 2013 at 9:00 am - Reply

      Your plan not feasible. Private individual cannot run such services.

  15. Perk November 11, 2013 at 11:30 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,

    Sorry this is a little bit out of topic but I was hoping that you can provide some insight. I’m thinking to get 20-25 seater bus, and convert it into a mobile cafe. You think it’s possible? What sort of license should I apply for?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap November 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm - Reply

      Your idea of using a bus to operate a mobile-cafe will not be approaved by the authorities. For a shop / outlet, registered your business. Liaise with local council to facilitate health requirements and undergo necessary health checks.

  16. Charles February 16, 2014 at 1:49 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Roughly how much does a PSV license cost? Besides, if i am hiring multiple drivers to drive multiple buses, how many PSV license do i need to have? Also, what are the requirements to satisfy for a bus to qualify as being in “good condition”? Can a van that is more than 20 years still be used as bas sekolah?


    • Cikgu Yap February 24, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

      Price differ from institute to institute. It may vary from RM100 to RM150, in my opinion.

  17. Ms Wong June 23, 2014 at 2:58 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu

    My husband wishes to do part time business for extra income.
    So, he plans to buy a window van to fetch travelers (to and from airport) during weekend / after office hour only.
    And, he do not wish to have it registered as business use (but for private use – under private name). Is this possible ?

    Since I was a housewife, I do think of using this window van to fetch students (maybe kindergarden / primary / tuition center) around my housing area.

    I do wonders if this work, what will be the penalty if get caught and what other issue should we take note?

    Looking forward to your advice.

    Thank you.

  18. Shean Chan Wee July 30, 2014 at 3:16 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am planning to operate a business to fetch regular customer by bus from Malaysia to Singapore for work every weekday. It is similar but not a factory bus as all passengers are work for different company. The bus will pick up and drop off passengers at certain locations.

    May I know whether this is feasible? What type of this bus belongs to?

    What permit should apply for the bus, and how is the procedure for it in order to driving the bus into Singapore?

    Thank you for your advice in advance!

    Wee Shean Chan

  19. Wong August 27, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

    hi!currently im working in singapore,but i plan to drive a mini bus for my son sake,he will be in primary one next year,so i hv more time for him but i dont know where n how should i start,can u help me?many thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap August 30, 2014 at 11:34 am - Reply

      Easier to get a bus driver to ferry your son.

  20. Kevin September 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm - Reply

    Mr. Yap,

    Thanks for the info.

    I would like to know, what’s your advise on planning the routes from students place to schools? Any tips? I’m driving a van.

    • Cikgu Yap September 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm - Reply

      Dear Kelvin, Your bus ferrying students should be legal and have all necessary documents and insurance. Only then can you put forward the ‘routes’.

  21. Marcus January 8, 2016 at 9:26 pm - Reply


    From Singapore here.

    Can i ask, I looking to engage in a Tour Van (Bas Persiaran) (18 Seater), do my driver need to have PSV license to operate?

    Can i also know, what school can he apply to take this PSV if needed

  22. Alex March 9, 2018 at 10:57 am - Reply

    Finally i got useful info to go on.

    Dear, Cikgu Yap.

    I’m About to start a business to operate a school bus, but lost in what should go on.
    Here’s my Question

    1. Can the bus been operate multi business line? like private passenger & Students.
    – as understand from above post, I cant do that.

    2. Hired a driver, how could be the salary like in range?
    – Driver must have PSV badge
    – Class “D” License

    3. What kind of license do i need to apply
    – L.P.K.P. Permit

    4.I plan to a brand new Toyota Hiace 14-18 seated van
    – As currently targeted 12 student in my neighborhood to the School
    – If able to get more student I’ll start with 18 seated van
    – Examination form Puspakom
    – School Bus insurance (it’s count per student or per Buses?)

    5. I’m confuse the fare rate to run this business, what’s the average routine fare/month for 17km from home to School. just a guide line.


  23. yeong kok hong August 13, 2018 at 5:28 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    Do you know what is current market fee charged to the student for bus sekolah (van)? Planing to start my own business…


  24. Dora April 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm - Reply

    I have intention to start ferrying kids to and fro school. However as one of your readers question above, I would like to have my own company logo painted on the van and not Bus Sekolah. In that case you mentioned register as Private. So do we still go to SPAD and reg? Do we need to register with the Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri for this?


  25. Terence June 20, 2019 at 3:04 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr. Yap

    Please advise me, i like to get a 2nd hand school bus with 25 seats to be my family camper bus for travel. The bus road tax are still alive and register as Perkhimata awan-bas sekolah. Can i covert to personal achieve or for camper car purpose?
    If yes, please teaching me the process. appreciated.

    • Cikgu Yap June 20, 2019 at 9:59 pm - Reply

      In Malaysia, buses are normally not used for purpose of camping unlike foreign countries. As such, your intention to purchase a 2nd hand school bus for such a purpose, you should first see the JPJ authorities to seek their advice.

Leave A Comment