Getting a Malaysian Driving Licence – Things You Ought To Know

1) Certificate issued by the Driving Institute for the 5 hours K.P.P (Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu) is valid for 1 year. Sit for the Highway Code (Computer) within the stipulated time frame.

2) Computer results slips are valid for 1 year. So enroll for the 6 Hour Theory Course as soon as possible.

3) Those who complete attending the 6 Hour Theory course are issued the JPJL2B certificate valid for 1 year also.

4) Computer tests at private centres open Monday – Sunday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

5) When at the computer test center, you have to take a Computer Photo (RM10). These photos can be used to issue an L (Learners License) at the centre.

6) The Highway Code and with the issuance of the “L” License lasts 2 years. Practical Driving test should be completed within this period.

7) Results of your Practical Test (Part I – Slope / Parking / 3 Point Turn) and Part II – Jalan Raya (Route) also lasts 1 year.

8) The blue Test Card issued to you  after the Practical Test has to be converted into the C.D.L. (Competent Drivers License) no later than 1 year.

9) The “P” is a 2 year Probationary license. After this period, you have to convert it into a C.D.L license. Failure to do so will render your “P” Null and Void.

10) C.D.L must not be allowed to lapse payment for more than 3 years. A 3 year lapse will render our license Null and Void. You will then have to resit your test all over again.

11) A G.D.L (Good Drivers’ License) has to be renewed annually. The driver has to undergo a compulsory medical exam before being allowed to do a renewal.

12) To drive a vehicle, a person needs a valid license (Section 26 (1) A.P.J 1987.

13) To drive at night, one has to put on the “front lights”. How does one classify “night”? Night legally refers to “half an hour after the sunsets” while “day” is considered “half an hour before the sun rises”.

Hopefully, this will help clean discrepancies with the traffic police.

By | 2012-11-01T14:45:08+08:00 May 4th, 2009|Driving In Malaysia|4 Comments

About the Author:


  1. RS March 16, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

    I made a u-turn at the end of a road joining another perpendicular road. I made it all the way through my u-turn and a guy (coming off the perpendicular road, following me onto my road) ends up hitting me on the corner of my rear bumper.

    I know the law where you get hit from behind, it is that person’s fault. The officer said there is no u-turns at junctions and said it was my fault. I said there is no sign stating that I cannot u-turn and is the only way to get onto the other side of the road to park in front of my business. Is the officer right or am I being swindled?

    • Cikgu Yap March 18, 2012 at 6:59 am - Reply

      Normally, those who execute U turns and cause accidents are at fault. As a trained officer, he is usually correct.

  2. Irene Chin October 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I’ll be travelling to Melbourne next month for a short 10 days visit. I intend to hire a car for moving about. I want to reconfirm that our Malaysian driving license can be use there as long as it is valid. I do not need to apply for IDL nor get my current M’sian one translated.

    • Cikgu Yap October 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm - Reply

      Malaysian license can be used in Australia to rent a car there.

Leave A Comment