This article was written back in 11th April 2009 when I first started writing tips on how to obtain a Malaysian driving license.

The idea is to help driving students to secure their driving license in the shortest time possible.

With the passage of time, many changes have occurred in the Malaysian driving school industry.

As such in 2017, a revision to this entire article is required.

To apply for a Malaysian driving license, these are the criteria you need to know.

The Age Limit For Different Class License In Malaysia

First, you have to know the age limits to get a driving license in Malaysia.

Malaysian who have attained the age of 16 can obtain a B2 (motorcycle).

To obtain a D (car) license, you would have to be 17 years old and above.

Those wanting to get an E (lorry) and H (tractor) licenses must be 21 years or above.

Those who want to get the above three classes of license must first of all pass the Highway Code test.

The Highway Code exam is conducted in either English or Bahasa Malaysia.

To learn the 10 tips to pass the Highway Code test, CLICK HERE.

The Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (JPJ) also conducts test in oral for those are not too proficient in the above two languages.

For those in the above category, do seek the assistance of a good driving instructor or a reputable driving institute near you.

For Class B2 & B Full License Students

Having passed the Highway Code, those who are interested to get a motorcycle licence, an “L” or the Probationary Driver’s License (PDL) can be taken out at any branch of the JPJ.

The PDL will allow you to begin learning how to ride a motorcycle at any driving institute you’ve registered with.

Under the new JPJ regulations of learning motorcycle, only “driving institutes” have the required personnel (SPIM) holders to train you on how to ride a bike.

The institute will provide amenities such as new motorbikes, luminous motorcycle vests, helmets and most important of all the motorcycle circuits or litar required to conduct training for the learning of motorcycle handling.

For your information, the institute to which I am presently attached to has a Superbike (501 cc and above) and also a 3 wheeled motorcycle to train handicapped or OKU riders too.

Learning of all classes of motorcycles requires the “thumb-printing” process of all the potential learners, that is the students as well as the instructors.

With the thumb-printing process, driving institutes can now log the exact hours of learning your have done in the training circuit with your PDL.

Suffice to say, all driving institutes in Malaysia are fully computerised as far as motorcycle learning is concerned.

When you have fulfill the training requirement, a student has to undergo a QTI or pra-ujian conducted by the institute’s internal testers before the real motorcycle test by JPJ officials.

For Class D (Car) License Students

For Class D license students who have passed their Highway Code test, you can get a PDL license enabling you to start taking up driving lessons with a driving instructor.

Unlike many years ago, where driving instructors conduct training of students in housing estates, town centres or the vicinity of kampungs, nowadays, the driving lessons take place in the locality of the driving institutes premises itself.

This is not only safer and more convenient, modern driving institutes today have better amenities such as toilet, canteens, surau or prayer rooms and parking facilities for motorcycles, cars, tractors and lorries.

Institutes of today also possess ascending or “going up the slope” facilities, roundabouts and special areas to conduct the Rutin Pemeriksaan Kenderaan (RPK).

RPK is the new learning requirement which has been implemented by JPJ.

Class D License Training Syllabus

Driving Institute

If you are planning to get a class D driving license, the following are the syllabus which you have to go through:

a) 01 or KPP 7 Hours theory course.

b) 02 or 5 1/2 hours course where candidates are taught the Rutin Pemeriksaan Kenderaan (RPK) and Rutin Sebelum Memandu (RSM).

c) 03 course where a total of 15 to 16 hours practical lessons is conducted for learning of going uphill, side parking, 3 point turn maneuver, S turn and Z turn are all executed.

The entire process of learning how to drive has to be conducted in the vicinity of the driving institute.

Similar to motorcycle students, cars students has to go through the Qualifying Test (QTI) or pra ujian test with the institute’s internal testers before the real driving test by JPJ officials.

These days, one should take note that not everyone can instruct you on the road for driving lessons.

Gone are the days where your father, uncle or husband who has the experience can teach you the mechanics of driving.

Today, the issuance of driving know-how is bestowed only to instructors engaged by driving schools or driving institutes.

Nowadays, the Perodua Kancils are slowly being edged out and the bigger and more versatile Perodua Axia car is being used for driving lessons instead.

Depending of your standard of driving, a student needs to take up classes of up to 16 hours of driving.

A course by a good and reputable instructor will help you to become a safe and careful driver on the road.

For Class E (Lorry) and H (Tractor) Students

For class E (lorry) and H (tractor) students, those who have pass the Highway Code can take out their PDL also.

You should enroll with a driving institutes that has a tractor, lorry or trailer together with a competent instructor to teach you.

In this article, I have covered the process to get a Malaysian driving license for motorcycle (B2 / B Full), D (Car) and E (Lorry) and H (Tractor).

I hope what I have shared is helpful to you.

Good luck and welcome to a world of driving experience.

By | 2019-04-30T14:49:29+08:00 April 11th, 2009|Driving License|356 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Sue Yin April 13, 2009 at 5:04 am - Reply

    dear Uncle, I must say that I must have you to thank for me being able to drive. Well, tell you the truth, my heart always SANK when I saw you coming… HAHA yeah I was that SCAREDDDD of you really. and sis was toooo… anyway, frm the bottom of my heart, here’s a word of thank Q that I’ve not said to you before…

    and WOW, you’re so HAPPENING, with your own blog :-)

    • admin April 13, 2009 at 5:14 am - Reply

      Dear Sue,

      Thanks for your comment on our blog. I’ll pass the message to my dad.

      What do you think of our blog? I’ll be the one moderating it. My dad just write his thoughts on paper and I type it out.


      • Jason April 17, 2010 at 11:13 am - Reply

        hi there
        need some help here.
        I have been driving for more them 15years now with a D licence.
        Now im planning to get a full B licence,
        how do i obtain a L licence to sit for B test?
        Do i still need to go through all the course or just go to JPJ to ask for L licence?

        • Cikgu Yap April 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm - Reply

          The topic of B Full license has been cover. Please read the following article ==> Securing Motorcycle B Full Super Bikes License

          • Chand Davinor April 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

            Good Morning! Uncle Yap,
            I am a foreigner and I have a problem. May I register in your school? Can please advice me of your school.
            Thank you in Advance.


          • Cikgu Yap April 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm

            Where is your location?

  2. Sue Yin April 13, 2009 at 5:41 am - Reply

    Yup, I think it’s just great that you set this up for him… Good way to spend his time…My full support to it!! :-)

    and KUDOS to you tooo! do keep the articles coming!

  3. shoba April 19, 2009 at 1:44 am - Reply

    Hi can you please give your contact details. I stay in Shah Alam near Bukit Saga and I need to learn to drive and if your dad lives around this place I can use his tutoring.

    • admin April 19, 2009 at 4:37 am - Reply

      Hi Shoba,

      Thank you for visiting our blog.

      Please include your contact details and we will get back to you ASAP.


  4. Ibrahim May 12, 2009 at 12:19 pm - Reply

    Hi, my name is ibrahim. I am a foreigner. I want to learn Driving in your school,can I get aliecence?iam a student

    • admin May 12, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply

      Hello Ibrahim,

      Thank you for visiting our blog. I will contact you via email.


  5. Le Dang Tai May 25, 2009 at 9:07 am - Reply

    I need you help. Does anyone know to change driving license in Malaysia?


    • admin May 26, 2009 at 2:24 am - Reply

      Hi Tai,

      Thank you for visiting our blog. I’m assuming when you mention “change driving license”, you meant to renew your driving license. In this case you can visit MyEG portal at You can get your license renewed online.


  6. Melissa July 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm - Reply

    Hi, I found your blog very useful! Precise without being complicated. I spent awhile on the JPJ website without learning much about how to obtain a driving license.. Thanks aloot!

  7. Jia Yun August 27, 2009 at 8:09 am - Reply


    I have 2 questions to ask. I am 16 this year, and if I plan to take my driving exam during the first half of next year, I can take my undang test already right? I heard from one of my friends that the undang certificate is valid for only one year.

    My second question is that, let’s say I am taking my undang test this year, and I passed it already. When am I allowed to start my driving lessons? Am I allowed to start learning before my birthday and take the practical exam right after my birthday? Or do I have to wait till after my birthday to start lessons?

    I would appreciate very much if you can reply to my e-mail. Thank you for your attention, have a nice day! :)

    • admin August 27, 2009 at 3:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Jia Yun,

      At 16, you can take the Highway Code Exam. Your undang-undang result is valid for 1 year.

      You can start your driving lesson only when you’re 17.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  8. cK September 4, 2009 at 3:58 am - Reply


    I’ve a question about licenses. Currently i’ve D class license for many years but not B2/B class license. So to obtain B2/B license what are the procedure/lesson/exam that i need to take?

    BTW, i owe a bike and i’ve ride that bike for 2 years using L license way back then before i took my D class license.


    • admin September 5, 2009 at 5:40 am - Reply

      Dear cK,

      You are exempted from the Highway Code. However, you have to attend the 6 Hour Theory course. When you’ve done that, take out a new L.D.L. (Learner’s Driver’s License).

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  9. Ricky Low September 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm - Reply

    Hello! Excuse me, I am hearing impaired singaporean and would like to know about driving license. Can I apply for driving license course? But I pass Basic Theory Test paper with me and expiry date:n.a. I can take or not.

    Thank you

    • admin September 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm - Reply

      Dear Ricky Low,

      Here are some of my suggestions for you:

      1) Because of your hearing impaired, get a hearing aid.

      2) You can get the Malaysia driving license in Johore.

      3) Is your Basic Theory Test Malaysia or Singapore paper?

      4) You have to pass the Malaysia Highway Code.

      5) Suggest reading ==> The Importance of Hearing To Drivers

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  10. Ricky Low September 5, 2009 at 6:40 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr Yap,

    Yes, of cos! I wearing my hearing aid. Basic Theory Test Singapore passed similar Malayisa Highway code. How much do I pay for practice driving license and how many do I attend?

    • admin September 8, 2009 at 9:44 pm - Reply

      Dear Ricky Low,

      Firstly, you have to pass the Malaysian Highway Code. Contact your nearest driving school. Prices differ locality to locality.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  11. khalid ahmed fakhruddin September 15, 2009 at 4:10 pm - Reply

    Dear sir,
    I would like to convert my foregin license to Malasian license. I am holding Temporary work Pass (valid for 1 year). when i check on JPJ web site they say conversion is for only parmener employement pass. Now my question is what do i do to get the dirving license converted to malaysian driving license. Or any other way to get it.
    pls help .
    khalid ahmed

  12. khalid ahmed fakhruddin September 15, 2009 at 4:28 pm - Reply

    Dear Sir,

    I am holding International Driving license from KSA and India , can I use it for driving in KL during my stay planned to be more then 1 year, in Malaysia.

    Please reply my above two question and help me in getting one driving license from Malaysia to make my life easy and peaceful.

    Khalid ahmed

    • admin September 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm - Reply

      Dear Khalid,

      International driving license from KSA and India can be used in Malaysia. To test for Malaysian driving license, you must have permanent residence passport. Temporary work pass cannot be used for converting foreign license to Malaysian license.

      For further details, please visit the Malaysian transport authority in Putrajaya.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  13. khalid ahmed fakhruddin September 18, 2009 at 10:52 am - Reply

    Dear Sir,

    Thanks for the reply, Atleast now I can drive confidently on the road that i am with in the legel requirement of the country. I belive there is not such validity of 3 months as i read on one of the expat information web site.

    Thanks you very much
    Khalid ahmed

  14. Kokulan October 10, 2009 at 3:55 pm - Reply


    Thank you for the information you provide in this blog. I am a foreign student and I am studying in Malaysia. What is the procedure for a foreign student to learn driving and to get the license? I would be very grateful if you can provide me with the information i need.

    Thanks in advance


    • admin October 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm - Reply

      Dear Kokulan,

      First, find a driving school / institute. Attend the 5 Hour course.

      Next, sit for the Highway Code test.

      Finally, attend the 6 Hour course.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  15. sy October 12, 2009 at 12:37 am - Reply

    Hi, i pass my JPJ test already…so how long do i have to wait to get the ‘P’ license??

    • admin October 13, 2009 at 1:03 pm - Reply

      Dear SY,

      You will get your”P” 5 – 6 days after your test, provide:
      1) Test card JPJ L3
      2) Fotocopy both sides
      3) 1 colour photo
      4) RM60 + service fee RM3 – 5 to your instructor.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  16. Prashant October 15, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply


    I have passed the JPJ test and have the results with me. When I left place one lady from JPJ told me that let me get the form signed from officer so that you can drive the car till you get your P license. My trainer tells me this is not true you cannot drive with the form. Please clarify who is correct


    • admin October 15, 2009 at 7:21 pm - Reply

      Dear Prashant,

      Your instructor is right. You can’t drive till you get your “P”.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  17. Prashant October 16, 2009 at 9:18 am - Reply

    Thanks Cikgu Yap

  18. chyan October 20, 2009 at 9:15 pm - Reply

    Mr Yap, hello there. I hv heard rumours saying that the age regulation for taking driving lessons changed from 17 to 21.
    Is the source valid?
    I plan to take my law exam after SPM & continue the lesson next year.

    Appreciate your reply. TQ

    • admin October 21, 2009 at 11:58 am - Reply

      Dear Chyan,

      The law does not change that easily. So, go ahead, do your law. Come back to driving later.

      Best of luck.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  19. Youlin November 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu, could you clarify something for me please? I just turned 16 in October 2009, and I want to know whether I can start taking driving lessons. Or do I have to wait until I’m 17?

    • admin November 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm - Reply

      Dear Youlin,

      You can only learn driving at 17. But you can attend the 5 Hour K.P.P. (Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu) now. You can also sit for the Highway Code test.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  20. ALIA November 11, 2009 at 12:01 am - Reply

    Hi, i am from Pakistan. I already got licence but someone snatch my purse it also contain my original licence. I have a copy of police report. I got 2 year work permit. what is your suggestion do i have to make a Malysian licence or what should i do? because even to buy a car we need licence. I got scan copy of my licence.please answer it to my e mail i shall be thankful.

    • admin November 12, 2009 at 11:56 pm - Reply

      Dear Alia,

      You can do 2 things.

      1) Get a new copy of your Pakistan license first. When you’ve done that, contact me again.

      2) You can try to get a Malaysian driving license. The process is long and tedious.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  21. Geoffrey November 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm - Reply

    Is there such a booklet for the general driving rules in Malaysia?

    In the U.K. there is a booklet called ‘The Highway Code’ and all who drive on the roads there have to read and be tested on it.

    If Malaysia does not have one then how does anyone know what the rules of driving here are in Malaysia?

    • admin November 13, 2009 at 12:00 am - Reply

      Dear Geoffrey,

      Try getting a text book (English) used by students preparing for the “Highway Code”test. You can get a copy of the book from any driving school or institutes near you.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Geoffrey November 13, 2009 at 8:01 am - Reply

        Tks the reply prompt reply.

        I live in Bangsar near BSC. Where would be the nearest place I can pick up a copy of the ‘Text Book’ you recomend?

        Rgds, Geoffrey.

  22. Becky November 16, 2009 at 1:44 pm - Reply


    I’m an expat to Malaysia, living in Bangsar just arrived.

    I never took my test in England so need to learn to drive, is it possible to do it here?


    • admin November 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm - Reply

      Dear Becky,

      If you have your passport, you can attempt to get a Malaysian driving license.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  23. Dini November 17, 2009 at 4:03 am - Reply

    I was wondering. Do I have to retake the theory test and sit for the seminar if my Learner’s license has expired? I’ve already renewed it once and the licensed expired last year.

    • admin November 17, 2009 at 8:29 pm - Reply

      Dear Dini,

      Normally your undang-undang lasts for 2 years.

      Each renewal for “L” license lasts for 3 months.

      Do you mean “L” expired or undang-undang expired?

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Dini November 18, 2009 at 1:51 am - Reply

        Oh. I’m not sure whether my undang-undang has expired. But it’s already been almost 2 years. So does that mean I have to re-do the whole course?

  24. Heng November 18, 2009 at 12:25 am - Reply

    If someone does not understand both bahasa and english (foreigner, permanent resident), any ways to get the undang test?

    Available in mandarin?

    Thank you.

    • admin November 21, 2009 at 8:55 pm - Reply

      Dear Heng,

      Undang-undang only in Bahasa Malaysia and English only.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  25. Soe Moe November 29, 2009 at 8:22 am - Reply

    I have been driving a car for 20 yrs in my country. But I want a Malay License. I cannot understand Malay.

    Can I sit for a driving test in English?

    I am staying in Kuala Terengganu.

    • admin November 29, 2009 at 9:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Soe Moe,

      You can do your test in English.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  26. Kenneth December 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm - Reply

    I have some questions regarding of the Highway Code Test. I understand that there’s a booklet available for students to prepare for the Highway Code Test, is the booklet available in English version ?

    • admin December 8, 2009 at 5:45 pm - Reply

      Dear Kenneth,

      Yes, the book in English referred to is available in the market.

      Seek your instructor’s assistance to secure the book.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  27. Bob December 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm - Reply


    My 17th birthday is in the second half of next year, I was planning on taking my undang test this year but I was wondering how long the test results last and how long the practical part will take as my birthday would be pretty close to SPM. Should I just wait until after SPM to take my undang test?

    • admin December 10, 2009 at 9:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Bob,

      Undang results last 1 year. The entire practical will take anything from 35 – 40 days.

      You are advised to take your undang test now. As I said, the result can last 1 year.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Bob December 12, 2009 at 2:40 am - Reply

        Oh okay, meaning I have to take my driving test within a year of taking my undang test? Is there a way to extend my result .. uh.. validity? Because 35-40 days after SPM next year would be past 1 year already

        • admin December 13, 2009 at 4:25 pm - Reply

          Dear Bob,

          To extend your undang beyond 1 year, this is what you have to do:

          i) Attend the 6 hour theory course.

          ii) Get your JPJ L2B out.

          iii) Get “L” license for D out.

          iv) Your undang-undang will now be valid for 2 years.

          Hope you are able to understand.

          ‘Cikgu Yap

  28. muhammad siddique December 13, 2009 at 12:35 am - Reply

    My name Siddique and i am foreigner. I have Pakistani local driving license. So can i get a Malaysian license without any kind of driving examination.

    ‘Your sincerely.

  29. Renee December 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm - Reply


    I am Swiss and live in Malaysia since 1998. I have a Swiss driving license (3 wheels, vehicule up to 3500kg, non prof transport of up to 8 persons) since 1986 and a Lesen Memandu Malaysia since 1999, kelas B2, D, valid until 2014.

    My question: I would like to apply for a license for vehicule above 3000 kg and transport of more than 8 persons.
    Do I have to attend any course which in Penang is given only in bahasa?
    Do I have to sit for the theory test?

    Thank you for your assistance.

    • admin December 15, 2009 at 9:11 pm - Reply

      Dear Renee,

      The D license for cars is up to 3000kg. For vehicles more than 3500 kg, you’ll need E license.

      You have to attend a 6 Hour Theory course for E. There is no exam.

      Any driving institute in Penang will be able to assist you.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Renee December 17, 2009 at 11:05 pm - Reply

        Thank you for your assistance.


  30. Hafiz December 15, 2009 at 12:17 pm - Reply

    Dear cikgu.i’m malaysian student doing study in uk.i would love to get my licence for next year summer how long it takes to get my P?i hv only two months of holiday before go back to uk.thank you for answer.

    • admin December 15, 2009 at 9:14 pm - Reply

      Dear Hafiz,

      Possible to get your license within 2 months (60 days). But you’ll have to do it fast.

      Attend the 5 Hour KPP, sit for the Highway Code followed by the 6 Hour Theory course.

      Make sure you don’t fail the Highway Code on the 1st attempt.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • hafiz December 16, 2009 at 1:56 am - Reply

        Thank you cikgu for the info!

  31. Kyra December 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm - Reply


    My boss is an Australian and working in Malaysia since 2005. He got 3 years work permit, expiring on 29th June 2011 (renewal after 3 years). He also holding an Australian driving license (Class C, R) since 1990, valid until 14th December 2010..

    My question:
    – He would like to apply for a Malaysia Driving License (class D).
    – What is your suggestion to make a Malaysian licence for my boss or what should i do?

    Shall be thankful if you can email me. Many thanks.


    • admin December 19, 2009 at 11:26 am - Reply

      Dear Kyra,

      To enable me to answer, please let me know what is the Australian Class C and R license. Chances of your boss getting Class D (cars) license is good!

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  32. sabrina December 18, 2009 at 11:43 pm - Reply

    dear sir,

    i’m a bit confused actually. im turning 17 next year may and i really wanna be able to drive right after that. so what can i do now since im having the holidays?

    thanks alot =)

    • admin December 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Sabrina,

      As you are not yet 17, you could attend the K.P.P. (5 hours) and then sit the Highway Code. The Highway Code lasts 1 year.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  33. Hari December 20, 2009 at 11:54 am - Reply


    I am an expatriate,holding Indian Driving License. Unfortunately I don’t have IDP to apply with JPJ to convert into Malaysian driving license. Can provide me with the guidance path. Merry Xmas

    • admin December 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm - Reply

      Dear Hari,

      To convert to Malaysian license, 1st get your license certified by issuing authorities.

      As your license is in English, no translation of it is required.

      Bring along whatever identification in Putrajaya for conversion purposes.

      Hopefully you’ll entail no difficulties.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  34. Shaun December 21, 2009 at 6:23 pm - Reply

    Dear sir,

    Approximately how long it takes to get a “P” driving licence?


    • admin December 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm - Reply

      Dear Shaun,

      It all depends on whether you can get through the Highway Code fast or otherwise.

      All other courses need approximately 14 – 20 days.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Shaun December 22, 2009 at 7:37 am - Reply

        Thanks for your prompt reply. And another question.

        For example, if I pass the Highway Code test on the 6th Jan. Do you think it is possible to get the “P” licence by the 31st Jan?


        • admin December 23, 2009 at 8:48 pm - Reply

          Dear Shaun,

          Dec 31st is too short a period. You’ll need at least 35 days to get a “P”!

          ‘Cikgu Yap

          • Shaun December 25, 2009 at 6:20 am

            Thanks Cikgu Yap.
            Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

  35. Vivienne December 22, 2009 at 6:19 pm - Reply

    Hi! Thanks a lot for the article wrote up there.

    I’m just gone through my 6 hours amali class (i pass my undang-undang test).
    The thing is, my college classes will be starting next month and i’m afraid i won’t be able to concentrate on my driving classes or worse, TEST!

    What is the duration or expiry date to get my “L” license and also the duration to sit for the JPJ test once i completed my driving classes?

    Thanks so much!

    • admin December 23, 2009 at 8:51 pm - Reply

      Dear Vivienne,

      You could try taking up driving lessons during the weekend. Your JPJL2B certificate to get out your “L” license lasts 1 year.

      After completion of practical driving lessons, ensure that your “L” has not expired. The you can do the test.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  36. Alice December 23, 2009 at 7:21 pm - Reply

    Dear Sir,

    I have gone through 6 hours class in October 8. But i’m in overseas right now so i’m not able to get P license within this few month. may i know what is the duration or expiry date to get L License.


    • admin December 23, 2009 at 8:53 pm - Reply

      Dear Alice,

      Completing the 6 Hour class, you’ll be issued a certificate JPJL2B.

      The above certificate lasts 1 year. You have to get the “L” license out within a year!

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  37. Azzy December 24, 2009 at 1:37 am - Reply

    Hi There!

    Im a foreigner from Sri Lanka. I came to Malaysia for my Studies. I turned 18 in Malaysia . So badly need my Driving license. What are the procedures?
    And I have this “Malaysia My Second Home” program too..


    • admin December 26, 2009 at 12:05 am - Reply

      Dear Azzy,

      For D (cars), the procedure are:
      a) Attend 5 hours K.P.P. course.
      b) Site for the Highway Code test.
      c) Passing the above, attend the 6 Hours theory class.
      d) With certificate JPJL2B, take out your L.D.L. (Learner’s license).
      e) Take your practical lessons of 10 – 16 lessons.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  38. Dean Chapman December 24, 2009 at 10:08 am - Reply

    I am British & live in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, I have held a British car licence for over 25 years & a Malaysian car license for the last 2 years.
    I would like to obtain a Malaysian motorcycle license but I am unsure what I need to do or where I should start.
    I have held an Indonesian motorcyclce licence for a number of years, but I would prefer to have a Malaysian license to avoid any confusion if confronted by the authorities.

    Can you point me in the right direction.


    • admin December 26, 2009 at 12:08 am - Reply

      Dear Dean,

      Thank you for giving preference to our Malaysian license.

      Methods / procedure to get a B2 are as follows:
      a) Attend 6 Hours Theory class.
      b) With the certificate JPJL2B, take out your “L”.
      c) After learning practical lessons for 4 – 6 lessons at the institute, you can sit for the practical test.

      Best of luck.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  39. Azzy December 26, 2009 at 1:44 pm - Reply


    Thanks alot ‘Cikgu Yap . Which Driving School is recommended?

    • admin December 27, 2009 at 10:42 am - Reply

      Dear Azzy,

      To assist you, let me know your location.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Azzy December 27, 2009 at 3:47 pm - Reply

        Hey ‘Cikgu Yap,

        I’m in Subang Jaya Usj 7. :) . So, I will be needing only my passport to apply for driving license right?


        • admin December 28, 2009 at 5:54 pm - Reply

          Dear Azzy,

          I have e-mail to you the contact number of a driving instructor in Subang Jaya.

          ‘Will Yap

  40. John December 30, 2009 at 7:06 am - Reply


    Stumbled upon your blog. A lot of good and helpful information.

    I’m actually working overseas, and have done so for quite some time. My family and I are looking to move back to Malaysia soon.

    I, however, had never held a Malaysian Driver’s License, and is looking for the quickest way to get one.

    Will it be better to go through the exams (both written and practical)? Or is it more feasible to just convert my foreign driver license to a Malaysian one?

    If the exams are the better way to go, I know they offer the written exam in English, but will it be possible to take the practical in English as well?

    Thanks in advance.


    • admin December 30, 2009 at 7:30 pm - Reply

      Dear John,

      Firstly, a warm welcome back to Malaysia! You do not have to do a retest to get a Malaysian driving license.

      Get your present country license attested or certified by the issuing authority. You will have no problem getting it converted into Malaysian Competent Driver’s License (C.D.L.).

      To do the above, go to any J.P.J. (Road Transport Authority) office, preferably at Putrajaya.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • John December 31, 2009 at 1:06 am - Reply

        Thanks for the quick reply. I’m currently residing in Canada, therefore, current license is in English. I believe you’ve mentioned that since it is in English, I will not need to have it translated or certified, is that correct? So, all I need to do is to bring my Canadian license to JPJ to be converted? Will JPJ keep my Canadian license permanently, or will they return it to me?

        • admin January 2, 2010 at 12:21 am - Reply

          Dear John,

          Your Canadian license must be certified by the issuing authority. No need for translation as it is already in English. Make sure your license is valid (not expired). Bring your license to any J.P.J. office, preferably at Putrajaya. Your Canadian license will be returned to you. J.P.J. will not detain it.

          ‘Cikgu Yap.

          • Ridley August 29, 2012 at 11:58 am

            I had my mother inquire on my behalf about converting my Canadian Drivers License to a Malaysian one ( As I also resided in Canada for over 22 years and never had a Malaysian D.L) with J.P.J. They informed us that we needed to get a letter from the Canadian Consulate stating that I want to convert my Canadian D.L to Malaysian D.L.

            This made no sense to me as I am a Malaysian so what does converting my drivers license have anything to do with the Canadian Consulate? I am in Miri so do not have the option to visit JPJ in Putrajaya, any recommendations?

          • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

            The regulations require you to get a certificate from the issuing department, the Canadian Embassy.

  41. Sheera December 30, 2009 at 10:35 am - Reply

    How to take the theory test? Which website should i go to book the test?

    • admin December 30, 2009 at 7:27 pm - Reply

      Dear Sheera,

      Theory tests must be registered with computer test centre. Make registration yourself or via a driving institute.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  42. Elynn January 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm - Reply

    Dear Sir, is it true that new learners are no longer required to attend the 6 hours course effective 2010?

    • admin January 2, 2010 at 12:24 am - Reply

      Dear Elynn,

      To date, no such decision has yet been made regarding the 6 Hours theory course.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  43. Jen January 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm - Reply

    how long does it usually take for The L licence to come out?Because I’ve been waiting for 2 weeks already…

    • admin January 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm - Reply

      Dear Jen,

      After attending 6 Hours theory, your instructor should be able to get the “L” out within 1 week. But some are slow in doing things!

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  44. Albert January 5, 2010 at 12:47 am - Reply


    I am a Chinese national and I would like to obtain a Malaysian driving license as I am staying here permanently. Can you introduce a good instructor near Damansara Perdana? Thanks.

  45. Agnes January 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm - Reply

    Hi…I am just starting to learn the first lesson on the driving…however i m always having problem with clutch and petrol…..and gear, is there anypart time teacher available for me to practice?

    • admin January 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm - Reply

      Dear Agnes,

      As an added advice, the below is recommended:
      Learn the gear positions. You have to memorise where gear 1 is. Likewise gears 2 & 3 too. The car easily dies off, because you have left up the clutch too fast. Leave up the clutch 50% only. Control the other 50% and leave it up completely as the car begins to move!

      As for petrol, step the accelerator gently, till you hear the car engine humming.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  46. Ritz January 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm - Reply

    Just have a question. I have my Car/D licence. But now I wish to get an ‘L’ permit for motorcycles/B full. What do i need to do? Do i still have to sit for a course or a written test?

    Appreciate if anyone can answer this.

    • Cikgu Yap January 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm - Reply

      Dear Ritz,

      For B Full, you need to be 21. There are no written test required. Attend the 6 hour theory course first. Then take out the LDL or “L” license.

  47. Joe January 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm - Reply

    Is it possible to do all the test and everything without any assistant from a driving school or agent , what i mean is all by my self and through the government JPJ office and do the online test or whatever test they have all on my own ?

    • Cikgu Yap January 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm - Reply

      Dear Joe,

      The answer to your question is Yes and No. You can arrange or attend the Kursus, Highway Code test and taking out the “L” yourself. After that, the Q.T.I. part, your Forms have to be verified by an instructor and also signed by an internal officer of an institute.

      It may look simple, but in reality its a lot of work actually.

  48. Idris January 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm - Reply

    I am from India and I have the work permit and employment pass of Malaysia . Currently I am staying in Melacca. I am not having the car driving licence.

    Could you please answer the following –
    1. How much time does it take to get the car drvining license of Malaysia?
    2. It would be nice if you can provide some contacts of car driving school in Melacca.

    Best Regards,
    M Idris

    • Cikgu Yap January 18, 2010 at 10:15 am - Reply

      Dear Idris,

      Your documents are adequate. The time require to acquire a Malaysian driving license is approximately 40 – 45 days.

      Sorry, currently the blog has no contact as yet with instructors in Malacca area.

  49. Abdu Rahman January 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm - Reply

    i am having original license Saudi Arabia and indian license..
    i am a foreign student in MMU Cyberjaya ..
    How to get A license in malaysia for me

    • Cikgu Yap January 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm - Reply

      Dear Abdu Rahman,

      Try to get your Indian and Saudi Arabian license converted to Malaysian license. First, get the above 2 licenses certified by the issuing authorities. Have it translated either in English or Bahasa Malaysia. Next, go to J.P.J. Headquarters in Putrajaya and have it converted.

      Only when the above fails, do you then talk about getting a Malaysian driving license.

  50. Sridhar January 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm - Reply

    I recently came to Ipoh and working in Finisar Ipoh.

    I want to know what is the good driving school I can approach to get my drivers licence in Ipoh.

    I have driving experience and I drove in USA but the thing is the licence is expired. Can any one help me to get Malaysian licence?

    • Cikgu Yap January 28, 2010 at 12:18 am - Reply

      Dear Sridhar,

      Look around Ipoh town and you should be able to find a good driving school.

  51. Sim Wie Boon January 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm - Reply

    Hello,i wanna ask is it possible as i am from sarawak,that i do my L license in sarawak but take my P license exams at selangor?

    • Cikgu Yap January 28, 2010 at 12:17 am - Reply

      Dear Sim,

      Yes, you can do Part I in Sarawak. Part II (Practical) test can be done here.

  52. Christina January 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm - Reply

    I would like to obtain a Malaysian driving licence – cant currenly drive but would like to learn. I have been having troubles finding a school that does the English version test, as well as finding a driving instructor – can you help?

    • Cikgu Yap January 28, 2010 at 12:14 am - Reply

      Dear Christina,

      Test in English is your own choice of language. To help you, please give your location.

      • Christina January 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm - Reply

        I am living in KLCC…

        • Cikgu Yap January 30, 2010 at 11:46 am - Reply

          Dear Christina,

          You can try calling the Metro Driving Academy. Check out their web site ==> Metro Driving Academy

  53. James January 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm - Reply

    Dear Sir,

    I am not sure if non-malaysian can learn driving. I am living here with my wife (malaysian), on social visa. I wish to learn how to drive so I can move around easily here.

    I am applying for the “Long Term Social Visit Pass ” which does only mention work eligibility but not driving.

    Are you able to help me with this or recommend someone I can talk to in P.Pinang?

    Thanks a lot,

    • Cikgu Yap January 31, 2010 at 10:18 pm - Reply

      Dear James,

      With social visa, it is not possible to secure a driving license. Anyway, you could get a 2nd opinion from any driving school in Penang.

  54. Edward January 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm - Reply

    Dear sir,
    Im 16 and im going to take the theory test soon.May I know how long does this take and can i take the practical lessons when im 16.
    Thanks loads,

    • Cikgu Yap February 2, 2010 at 9:40 am - Reply

      Dear Edward,

      The test is about 45 – 50 minutes. At 16, you can take the B2 (motor). You have to be 17 for cars.

  55. TK February 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm - Reply

    anyone know if a singaporean can take malaysian driving test ?In case i need to drive in future in malaysia only.

    • Cikgu Yap February 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm - Reply

      Daer TK,

      Yes, a Singaporean can take a Malaysian license.

  56. km February 19, 2010 at 12:33 am - Reply

    is the requirement of the test changed to 21 ad?
    and how long does it takes from undang test to obtain the licence?

    • Cikgu Yap February 20, 2010 at 9:54 am - Reply

      Age remains at 17 years old. It’ll take 35 days to obtain the license.

  57. Jack Chan February 28, 2010 at 1:12 am - Reply

    I’m from SG & wished to obtain a license from M’sia before i retired in M’sia. May i know how to go about?
    Please help..many thanks!

    • Cikgu Yap February 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm - Reply

      Hi Jack,

      I have written about how to obtain a Malaysian driving license above. Just read through the article carefully.

  58. Desmond March 1, 2010 at 11:37 am - Reply

    My Wife is from Thailand and i am Malaysian.
    Can my wife registered herself in a Malaysia driving school for classes and further obtain a Malaysia driving licence ?

    • Cikgu Yap March 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm - Reply

      If you can legally prove she’s your wife with proper documentation, she can register for driving classes.

  59. mehdi March 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm - Reply

    hi,i’m iranian living in malaysia for 3 years already with social visa (i get my visa every 6 month, my mom is malay) can i get a malaysian driving license?

    • Cikgu Yap March 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm - Reply

      As far as I know, social visa does not permit you to get a Malaysian license.

  60. Firephoenix March 4, 2010 at 11:21 am - Reply

    Do you know any driving school in Johor Bahru which you can recommend please?

    • Cikgu Yap March 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm - Reply

      Sorry, we are not familiar with the driving schools in Johor Bahru.

  61. tante josdiana March 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm - Reply

    hi! i hav a prob. need solution. i m a malaysian. i hav been working abroad 8yrs. i used 2 hav a malaysian driving license. but now i only came back 2 malaysia for a holiday. i need 2 retrieve my old driving license number but i dont know how n where. i havent been renewing it. do i need 2 take a new test?

    • Cikgu Yap March 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm - Reply

      1st, how long ago has your license not been renewed? If more then 3 years, it has become null and void. Then, you’ll have to retest certain parts of your test.

  62. Judith March 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm - Reply

    Hello Sir,
    I’m 17 years old and from Germany.
    I already stayed in Malaysia for a studentexchange program from July 2008 to July 2009.
    And now I was wondering, if there is any possibility to take my driving licence in malaysia when I come next time.
    Or do I need a proper Visa to do that?
    thanking you in anticipation,

    • Cikgu Yap March 9, 2010 at 2:42 pm - Reply

      If you are studying here, yes you can take up a driving course. If you’re visiting Malaysia on a social visit, no you can’t.

  63. soring March 10, 2010 at 10:12 am - Reply

    My license has expired 10 years ago. Any idea what is the procedure like to re-avtivate it? I am staying in Damansara Perdana. Do you teach at this area in the event I need to redo the whole thing?

    • Cikgu Yap March 12, 2010 at 10:12 am - Reply

      You have to do a retest. Sorry, Dmanasara Perdana isn’t under my purview.

  64. Riniki March 12, 2010 at 6:00 pm - Reply

    What happens when the 3 months holding the L license expires? Can I renew it, or do I have to redo some parts of the course? If I need to renew it, how much does it cost?

    • Cikgu Yap March 14, 2010 at 1:32 am - Reply

      Just renew it. B2 is RM20 and D is RM30. Plus runner fee RM3 – RM5

  65. Fahad March 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm - Reply

    17years as of now coming for studies in July from pakistan. Whats the procedure for driver licence?

    • Cikgu Yap March 22, 2010 at 7:44 am - Reply

      Everything has been covered in the article on top. Please read it carefully.

  66. Palani March 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm - Reply

    Hi, Im from india working here in malaysia. Can anybody tell me where can i join for driving course? Is there any familiar Driving Class near to Subang jaya? I need to take license immed. with in how many days i’ll get license? anybody please assist me. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap March 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm - Reply

      You can try Safety Driving School in Petaling Jaya. It’ll take 35 – 40 days to get your license.

  67. Arthur Chow March 24, 2010 at 3:23 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,
    I have a pakistani friend working here in malaysia who is interested in obtaining a malaysian driving license. ahe has heard that it is difficult and expensive for foreigners to get a malaysian driving liscense. is this true?

    • Cikgu Yap March 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm - Reply

      Yes, it looks as if foreigners are charged a slightly higher rate.

  68. Jessika March 25, 2010 at 9:13 am - Reply

    I heard a rumour that the age for taking your drivers license in malaysia is going to change from 17 to 21 beginning January 2011. Is this true?

    Grateful for an answer.

  69. mikhail kiang March 26, 2010 at 8:38 pm - Reply

    I heard the a 16 year old can have a driving license but there will not be any insurance for us is it true?or must we wait till we are 17?

    • Cikgu Yap March 28, 2010 at 11:58 am - Reply

      16 for motorcycles. 17 for cars. No license meaning no insurance coverage.

  70. Nic March 28, 2010 at 3:47 am - Reply

    I had a D class lisense for 9years, intending to get a B2 lisense. I can’t ride a bike at all, but i’ll start from my grandad’s ‘cup-zai’..i’ll get a middle sized super-bike by end of this it’s crucial to get used to 125cc bike b4 i can handle a 650cc bike, any advvice? N how about the price for the lesson?btw, i’ve no idea whether u provide B2lesson or not..Also, how much if i only want to obtain an ‘L’?

    • Cikgu Yap March 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm - Reply

      Your suggestions of using a small bike initially and gradually to a super bike is good. Your home may not be in my locality of operation.

      Price of securing a B2 is government controlled at RM201. Driving schools are allowed to impose a reasonable service charge. To obtain an “L”, you might have to incur around RM150 – RM200.

  71. Arthur Chow March 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm - Reply

    thank you for your reply cikgu. are you still teaching? if so, where is your school?

    • Cikgu Yap March 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm - Reply

      Yes I am still instructing. I operate in the Shah Alam and Klang areas.

  72. liz March 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm - Reply

    I have test tmrw and i am not prepare my self.i am scared,worried,thinking whether i wanna take driveing.i am just not ready yet.i need to practice on my own

    • Cikgu Yap March 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm - Reply

      If you are not confident, your driving school shouldn’t enter you for test. I suggest you cancel the test. lean again until you’re confident. It is useless to get a license if you cannot drive.

  73. Kuantan Yang March 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm - Reply

    Can you please tell me how to obtain an English version of the official text book for passing driving test? It seems that only the Bahasa version is available. Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap April 2, 2010 at 8:59 am - Reply

      Presently, English version of official text book unavailable in the market.

  74. Kel April 10, 2010 at 6:24 am - Reply

    Good day sir,

    Can you please recommend a good driving school in Putrajaya / Sri Kembangan / Puchong area? I am residing in Cyberjaya.

    Also I am an expatriate here, and I would prefer driving school with good English curriculum to offer.

    Thanks so much in advanced!

    • Cikgu Yap April 11, 2010 at 11:41 pm - Reply

      The only instructor friend on mine is in Puchong area but is a non English speaking instructor. Sorry, unable to help you.

  75. Alang April 14, 2010 at 8:13 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap
    What should I do if my L license expired?did i have to undergo the same path again?

    • Cikgu Yap April 15, 2010 at 12:12 am - Reply

      Renew “L” at Post Office or J.P.J. offices.

  76. Ali April 19, 2010 at 10:56 am - Reply

    Hi Uncle! I’m a foreigner here. I called JPJ this morning for the process of converting my foreigner driving license into Malaysian. The lady replied that only the professionals like Doctors, Lecturers can get conversion but not others like Accounts or IT persons. Is it true? There is no such information on JPJ website like this. Then i asked how long can i use my International driving license in Malaysia? She replied as long as its valid, there is no limit of 3 months. Is this right also? I doubt so coz at every website its stated that you can use international driving license only for 3 months. Plz clarify these things. Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap April 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm - Reply

      I’m aware of no such requirements. The only alternative is for you to visit J.P.J. Head Office in Putrajaya and seek their clarification.

      International driving license can be used for the duration of its lifespan. Maybe J.P.J. has its own rules and regulations. Ask J.P.J. Putrajaya for their explanations. If everything else fails, you have no alternative but seek your Embassy’s help.

  77. Cikgu Yap April 21, 2010 at 12:09 am - Reply

    Sorry, only good instructor friend near KLCC speaks Malay only and no English.

  78. Ramona Raquel May 13, 2010 at 11:57 am - Reply

    Hi, may i know wat is the address of ur office or contac number so i can call…And by the way i Live in K.l and im filipina…
    my husband and i living in malaysia for 2years now.. and i hope i can start to drive before we move in singapore

    thank u

    • Cikgu Yap May 17, 2010 at 4:06 pm - Reply

      Your address is definitely out of the domain of my driving institution. Nevertheless, thanks for inquiring all the same. Wish you all the best.

  79. apaapasaja June 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm - Reply

    hi Mr. Yap, im now staying near Wangsa Maju Lrt/Setapak in KL but from Ipoh…May i know whr is ur centre? I’m very interested in taking D class license but have financial problem. May i know hw much do ur centre charge for D class license for everything fr L to P?? btw due to im working now and my work shifts vy variable and unpredictable,can i hv my driving lessons arranged following my timetable??

    • Cikgu Yap July 1, 2010 at 10:08 am - Reply

      Please provide your contact number. I’ll contact a close friend who will be able to tutor you in your area. Its possible to schedule your learning to suit your time.

  80. Sam July 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm - Reply

    I had a private car driving licence in Hong Kong but expired N years ago due to non renewal. Now I wish to move to Malaysia under MM2H programme and will take a short stay of about 1 month first in Malaysia, is it possible to complete written & road tests in just a month’s time given that I’m not a layman in driving? I suppose it’s no problem for English speaker to take the written & road tests. Could you please also let me know the approximate totally costs involved?

    • Cikgu Yap July 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm - Reply

      Complete course KPP and theory, internal test and practical test by JPJ takes anything from 45 – 55 days. Sorry, I am unable to quote the price of securing a license. Do ask your driving instructor.

  81. ruth July 25, 2010 at 3:47 am - Reply

    Hi there,
    I was wondering if there is anyway i can extend my learner’s license? Due to the fact that i was traveling overseas, I just came to realized that my L license expires on the 9th of August 2010. Is there anyway i could learn driving in such a short period of time? Or, I could approach the jpj to extend my learners license?

    best regards,

    • Cikgu Yap July 27, 2010 at 5:30 pm - Reply

      Extension will not be given. 9th August 2010 is too short a time. Looks like you’ll have to do the undang-undang all over.

  82. Cheah Keng Woo July 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I took my license in 1999 and I have renew my license ever since 5 years. However, the old license is returned back to the authority and they will issue us a new one. So, the question is, how do I get hold of my old record?

    • Cikgu Yap August 3, 2010 at 12:16 am - Reply

      Normally, old license is returned to owner. To get your old records, visit nearest JPJ office. Hopefully JPJ can assist you.

  83. Jodaline August 9, 2010 at 10:58 am - Reply

    Hello Mr. Yap, i am a student here in malaysia. i am interested to take a license. can you advice me what are the procedure in obtaining license?

    hope you can guide me accordingly. thank you in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap August 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm - Reply

      Everything has been explained in the article above.

  84. Chris Chan August 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm - Reply

    I would lik to seek your advice. My son reaches age 17 in Nov 2010. He wants to get a driving licence. An instructor from a driving school told him he can attend the first worshop, sit for the highway code test and attend the second workshop (theory course) before he attains age 17. Once he completes these three steps the driving instructor says he can commence leaning driving in the schools’s driving compound. However, he will not be able to drivie outside and on the road. In this way as soon as he reaches 17 he can immediately takes his driving test. When I countercheck with another driving school I was told that a person must be above 17 before he is allowed to attend the Theory course. Please advise what is the right way? TQVM

    • Cikgu Yap August 22, 2010 at 9:07 am - Reply

      The 1st instructor not telling you the truth. At 16, your son can attend the 5 hour K.P.P. course followed by the undang test. Hold on to the above results. At 17, then attend the 6 hour theory course. Then get D (car) license issued and start taking lessons.

  85. Andrey September 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm - Reply

    Hello, i’m international student, and have been staying in Malaysia for 2 mn. I’d like to ask you: 1) since what age it posible to obtain driver lessons? 2) is Malaysian lessons – international. thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap September 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm - Reply

      Car is 17 years old. Malaysian car license is acceptable in most countries.

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2010 at 8:52 am - Reply

      Cars – 17 years old. Malaysian license can be used in most nations.

  86. brian September 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm - Reply

    hello Mr Yap.Can you guide me on when to raise my hand during the Part 1 Test?(Slope / Parking / 3 Point Turn) I couldn’t quite remember that…Thanks in advance! :-)

    • Cikgu Yap September 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm - Reply

      During slope test, after stopping your vehicle on the slope, pull up the handbrakes and then raise your right hand. After you have parked your car squarely in the parking lot provided, then raise your right hand to indicate completion of your parking procedures. It does not matter if the tester sees or observe your action of putting your right hand up or not. After a few minutes, come out of the side parking slot.

  87. nadia November 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm - Reply

    thank you for the information you provide. I have one question. I am not a Malaysian and I registered to get license. But I was very worried when I got the book in Bahasa Melayu. Can I have th exam in English?
    Thank you very much.

  88. se7en January 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm - Reply

    Thank you for the information but i have 1 question. I already obtained the L (Learner Probationary Drivers license) but i havent taken the test on driving. U said this L license lasts only 3 months. I think my L license already expired a long time ago (6-7 months ago). What could i do now? ( i already finished all the driving lesson but havnt taken the test only)

    • Cikgu Yap January 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm - Reply

      Yes, “L” license usually lasts 3 months. To test practical, do your pra ujian first. You’ll have to renew your “L” license also.

  89. Nora March 10, 2011 at 11:37 am - Reply

    Can I ask if I’m a Singaporean but living in Malaysia (a rent house in Johore) take a international driving license or just Malaysian license in Johore? Cos I heard you can but some say cannot. But I really want to learn as I’m living in Johore.

    • Cikgu Yap March 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm - Reply

      Yes you can.

  90. Adam April 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm - Reply

    I just got back in malaysia and my driving license has expired more than a year ago. i heard if expired more than one year cannot renew license but instead have to apply new license. is this true? if so, what is the procedure like? and how much it cost? how long do i have to wait before i get the new license?

    • Cikgu Yap April 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm - Reply

      If P expired more than a year, it becomes null and void. CDL if expired more than 3 years, it becomes null and void.

  91. Mohammad Moghimi June 17, 2011 at 12:33 am - Reply

    I was in uk from 1995 to 2001 and I have british driving license and then I moved to IRAN and I was driving there from 2001 to 2011 , but I lost my british driving license and I just moved to Malaysia 1 month ago and I want to take a malaysian driving License so I just want to know what shoud I do concerning that I have british driving license and also 15 years of driving experience

    • Cikgu Yap June 21, 2011 at 11:58 pm - Reply

      Whether you own a British driving license previously or not is immaterial. You will have to go through all the steps and procedures to get a Malaysian driving license.

  92. julie July 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm - Reply

    I m considered an OKU (without the lower left arm). I wish to learn driving as I have seen ppl with the same problem driving around with an OKU sticker attached to their car. I have asked many driving schools but nobody can give me an accurate procedure. I live in shah alam & hope that u can help me

  93. julie July 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm - Reply

    Mr Yap, thank you for the infos on driving for OKU. From your blog, I find that u r a helpful, responsible & reliable driving instructor. Can I learn driving from u, where is your driving school? If u can’t teach me, where else can I go for the lesson….pls give me some suggestions. Pls email to me, tks

    • Cikgu Yap July 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm - Reply

      First and foremost, see the JPJ at their office at Kampung Jawa, Klang to see if you’re allowed to take up driving. Also get the necessary form required. If you are allowed to drive, you have to use an automatic car.

  94. john sigler September 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm - Reply

    Hi I am from the UK, i have been driving with no incidents of note or police issues for 12 yrs, I tried to convert my license to a Malaysian one, as I believed I could, but the JPJ have said they will not do it as I do not work for a government department and do not meet their requires professions (even though I am a chartered surveyor). They are saying I need to take my test again over here, furstrating but there you go, I need to get on with it asap. Can you tell me if I need to do all of the stages you set out above or just have one lesson where an instructor takes me through the test and then just sit it? Is that allowed? How quickly can I get an opportunity to take the test?

    • Cikgu Yap September 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm - Reply

      I’m surprised why the authorities have refused to allow you to convert your license into Malaysian driving license. You are in fact holding one of the most respected of licenses. Furthermore, you already have a 12 years driving experience. My advise is, do not give up so easily. See to JPJ Director General in Putrajaya regarding your problem. Hope all will turn up in your favour.

  95. Vincent November 21, 2011 at 1:50 am - Reply


    I have a D license and would like to know what are the prerequisites to obtain E license (GVW exceeds 7500KG)? Do I need to first get a E1/E2 licenses (GVW below 7500KG & below 5000KG respectively) and hold it few years before I’m able to apply for E license?

    • Cikgu Yap November 22, 2011 at 3:28 pm - Reply

      If you already own a D license for at least 2 years, to get an E full license, attend a 6 hour theory class first. After getting the above license, then take steps to secure a 7500 kg GDL to drive the above vehicle.

      • Vincent November 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm - Reply

        Thanks for your reply Cikgu Yap. So what are the next steps after the 6hrs theory class? Will there be an exam for the theory class that I’ve attended? Will there be driving exam needed too?

        • Cikgu Yap November 25, 2011 at 10:54 am - Reply

          After attending 6 hour theory class, take out L license to learn practical lessons for lorry, followed by QTI test by institutes and finally practical exam by JPJ. Theory class has no exam.

  96. Yong November 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply


    I found your blog very helpfull for people to clearly understand the procedures of getting a driving license. However, there are still some curious i am looking for the clarification. I am currently a working adult in KL area and wish to get a driving license. Anyway, since i have to work for weekdays and only free for weekends. May i know approximately how long would it take to get my driving license assuming i would pass all the undang and driving test smoothly. In case i would have to retake the driving test then how long would it be dragged? Also, may i know how much is the market price range at this moment (approximately figure would be acceptable)? Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap November 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm - Reply

      If you learn at least 4 hours weekly, you could probably finish your test by 1 1/2 months. However, don’t forget you’ll have to attend the 5 hour KPP course and pass Highway Code first. Depending on institutes, retest will take from 1 to 3 weeks.

  97. Ruben November 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm - Reply

    hi Cikgu Yap ,

    I have a question,i have done my 1st krusus long time back,
    but be for i did continue i had to go over seas and now im back ,
    how do i go about continue my driving licenses,im a local guy but ill be here only till end if December,

    • Cikgu Yap November 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm - Reply

      Probably, your fist kursus would have expired. It lasts 1 year only. You’ll have to do another kursus followed by the Highway Code test.

  98. Yogesh Thapa August 10, 2012 at 12:07 am - Reply

    Hello! sir,
    i’m from nepal i have been in malaysia 5yrs already, i’m working at panpacific hotel KLIA. can i apply for a malaysian driving licence?


    • Cikgu Yap August 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm - Reply

      Yes, you can.

  99. Praba November 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm - Reply

    Hi Inchek.

    Need your advise. Currently, my friend wants to employ an Work Pass holder from India to do driving for her company agriculture business. Her worker has Indian Truck Driving license. Can he convert it to E class ? or just D Class license only ? Any way he can drive the 5 tonne lorry ? kindly assist. Thks

    • Cikgu Yap December 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm - Reply

      In my opinion, the truck driver would not be able to convert his license. But, he should be able to drive an ordinary car here.

  100. Cheow January 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm - Reply

    I have a motor lisence for about 5-6 years but dont have a car lisence. if i want have a car lisence now what should i DO?

    • Cikgu Yap January 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm - Reply

      Everything you wanted to know has been covered in the article above.

  101. Cheow January 7, 2013 at 10:08 am - Reply

    That mean i need to retake highway code test again, Before i can learn Driving a car below 3000KG?

  102. Sim January 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

    Hi , is there any possibility to extent the `L` license 3 months duration to longer ?

    • Cikgu Yap January 10, 2013 at 12:05 am - Reply

      Change it for 6 months.

  103. fahad March 26, 2013 at 10:26 pm - Reply

    I have one question. I hold a saudi driving licience. Does this licience is convertable in malaysia or i have to go through all the procedure.
    Your help would be appreciated. Thanx

    • Cikgu Yap April 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm - Reply

      I see no reason why your Saudi driving license cannot be converted into a Malaysian one.

  104. kim April 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm - Reply

    Hello I just took my first class and haven’t taken my computer exam yet. I was long before it expires? I sat for my first class end of February. Please to let me know thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2013 at 10:31 am - Reply

      Your 5 hour course lasts 1 years. Pass your Highway Code by then.

  105. Yong June 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm - Reply

    My taxi driving license has already ceased 6 yrs ago. I understand I need to file an application to jpj for their consideration on the renewal of license. If the application is being approved, I will need to sit for Part II test. How much will it cost me for Part II test?

    • Cikgu Yap June 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm - Reply

      Sorry, our institute does not cater for taxi licenses. I suggest you try Safety Driving Institute or Metro Academy.

  106. sam June 11, 2013 at 1:57 am - Reply

    I took my licence for car around 3 years back and i am considering taking a motorcycle licence. do i have to retake the undang exam?

    • Cikgu Yap June 12, 2013 at 10:38 am - Reply

      No Highway Code needed. Attend only 6 hour theory course for B2 / B Full motor.

  107. anonymous June 22, 2013 at 3:22 am - Reply

    hi cikgu yap..i need to take driving license in car…do u have any driving class/centre here in batu caves…since i never drive cars before i need someone who really skilled and knows how to teach me how on how to drive car confidently..thanks..

    • Cikgu Yap June 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm - Reply

      Will send the details via your email address.

  108. Brian August 2, 2013 at 11:04 am - Reply

    I am a Singaporean living in Malaysia now. I do not hold any pass in Malaysia , can I still take driving license in Malaysia ?

    • Cikgu Yap August 4, 2013 at 9:34 am - Reply

      If you have your Singapore documents, you could certainly take u a Malaysia license here.

  109. Nora September 14, 2013 at 2:02 am - Reply

    I am a australian citizen holding a learners permit from australia.
    I am visiting my parents for 3 months in malaysia. Is there any way i can learn driving here. I dont need any malaysian lisense , just an instructor to teach me driving. ( p.s: i have a lot of spare time on hand and really wanted to learn driving)

    I will be extremely grateful if you can reply me here or on my email address provided



    • Cikgu Yap September 14, 2013 at 7:27 am - Reply

      Hi Nora, thanks for writing in. I’ll contact you via your email to get your contact number.

      • ntyw January 5, 2015 at 12:42 pm - Reply

        Hi cikgu. Im in the same situation as nora. I already have my Learners license from new zealand thou, and im planning to get my license within a month and a half before i go back. What should i do?

        • Cikgu Yap January 8, 2015 at 9:55 am - Reply

          Time constraints does not allow you to carry out your suggestion.

  110. Azfer September 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm - Reply

    i am a international student above 18. what license should i apply for ? how much time and money will it take ? i have been driving for 4 years in my home country but no license. will i still have to take training?

    • Cikgu Yap September 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm - Reply

      You have to take up driving course here. Prices differ from place to place.

  111. lyonard October 26, 2013 at 3:01 am - Reply

    hi i want to ask if allowed to take driving licence even i’m tourist visa to go there in malaysia? thanks i’m philippines nationality

    • Cikgu Yap October 29, 2013 at 9:11 am - Reply

      Sorry, tourist visa cannot take up a driving license in Malaysia.

  112. Cherry November 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm - Reply

    Hello Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I’m foreigner and working in Malaysia since year 2010.
    I planned to ride motorcycle and then plan to drive car but still not confident myself since I never know how to drive any vehicle.
    Kindly advise me driving classes with fees nearby Relau, Penang and how long to learn?

    Thank you and appreciate your kind advise :)

    • Cikgu Yap November 18, 2013 at 10:05 am - Reply

      Hi Cherry, thanks for writing in. We are based in Selangor. Won’t be able to assist you in Penang.

  113. Bhuvana December 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm - Reply

    I am a Malaysian with Full Driving License. My driving license validity is until 2014 August. I need to take International Driving License. How much it will cost for an International Driving License? Do I need to hold my normal driving license together with International driving License?

  114. Rosmahadir Bin Kamaruddin December 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm - Reply

    Dear Mr. Yap,

    Recently my wife tried to register my daughter for Driving Licence Course and the driving school insisted my daughter must passed her B2 Course.

    The problem was my daughter was not interested to pursue B2 since receiving injuries in small incident at the training circuit.

    I am really curious when my wife told me the school reps told her it was JPJ new regulations as I believe no one can stopping you from learning to drive and quitting to learn riding a bike.

    I am now working in Qatar, so it’s not possible now for me to get the explanation by myself.

    Hope you can confirm this Mr. Yap.

    Really appreciates your explanation.

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap December 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm - Reply

      Your driving institute / school has given you wrong information. Your daughter need not do a B2 course if she does not want to.

  115. Ita February 18, 2014 at 4:00 am - Reply

    Hi cikugu yap

    Im interested to take my driving license from ur driving school,
    i took my license twice but i fail
    i really need a gd driving instructor to build up my confidence in driving
    do contact me asap
    thanx cikgu

    • Cikgu Yap February 18, 2014 at 7:49 am - Reply

      Will contact you via email.

  116. Vidya April 16, 2014 at 9:38 am - Reply

    Hi sir, I’d like to ask; my husband is a foreigner. He already has a B2 & D driving license. Now he wants and E license. How does he get one? and how much will it cost him? Thank you.

  117. brian April 27, 2014 at 12:15 am - Reply

    hie, im an african who is a student in selangor, i need a drivers license as i did not have one in my country, i have been here for 4 months. back in my country i drove for four years without a license please advise on my course of action.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2014 at 11:10 am - Reply

      As you are eligible to get a license here locally, to secure one promptly.

  118. lawrence May 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm - Reply

    I’m already a class D driver. I want to own a truck/lorry. I’ll need a class E license, correct? As per my understanding I don’t need to resit the highway code test. But what do I need to do to get the license?
    thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap May 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm - Reply

      A 3 tan lorry needs only a D license. If securing an E license, you’ll be exempted from Highway Code.

  119. Pritha May 22, 2014 at 9:56 am - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap,
    My daughter turn 17 in 2 months time. Can she do the Highway code tests and the 6 hours theory test first and immediately start on the driving on the road lesson the day after she turns 17.

    • Cikgu Yap May 27, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

      As the driving industry is currently undergoing some changes with regards to its rules and regulations, I will therefore refrain from giving any advice for the time being.

  120. hi cikgu yap May 28, 2014 at 9:01 pm - Reply

    hi cikgu yap, currently im working in australia and my driving license was expired. how i can renew my license in order for me to drive in australia? can you send me through the mail? thanks a lot.

  121. annonymous May 29, 2014 at 8:28 am - Reply

    Hi, i am currently studying in Australia now but will be coming back to Malaysia for only 3 weeks, is it possible to get my driving license in 3 weeks?

    • Cikgu Yap June 1, 2014 at 9:40 pm - Reply

      3 weeks is too short.

  122. hwang May 29, 2014 at 4:27 pm - Reply

    HI! MR. yap

    I am curious that foreginer can get the lincese?

    I have a malaysia residence pass

    and what should i do first to get the license?

  123. Daniel Johnson Nair June 8, 2014 at 2:03 am - Reply

    Hi I’m a malaysian turning 17 at 3 of september I would like to get a driving license
    Do you to think I can get my driving license as soon as possible?

    • Cikgu Yap June 10, 2014 at 7:29 am - Reply

      You’ll need at least 45 – 60 days.

  124. Philippe June 12, 2014 at 10:09 pm - Reply

    Could you point me to any reputable motorcycle driving schools or instructors in Johor Bahru? Much appreciated!

    • Cikgu Yap June 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

      Sorry, we are based in Klang, Selangor.

  125. mahmood June 15, 2014 at 10:25 am - Reply

    hello i want to ask about the license .
    im a refugee here if i go to driving school and study
    will gave me license and let me drive ?

    • Cikgu Yap June 19, 2014 at 6:45 pm - Reply

      Dear Mahmood, I have no knowledge if a refugee can indeed try getting a licence here. I suggest you contact the JPJ for information.


  126. lely June 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, thank you for putting all this information. I am not Malaysian and I have a license for motorcycle from my home country. Is there any sort of international license for motorcycle that I can apply to legally ride motorcycle here?

    Thank you.

  127. Sayeeram June 23, 2014 at 4:02 pm - Reply

    Hi Yap,

    1. Can we still convert our Indian Driving License to Malaysian Driving License?

    2. How much will it cost for us to go through the entire driving course to get the Malaysian Driving License if we are not able to convert the license?

  128. john June 23, 2014 at 10:24 pm - Reply


    I live in segamat and I have 2 expired driving licences one thai and one uk. I need to take my driving test asap to drive the company car. I have been driving for over 28 years and just need to pass my test in malaysia.
    Can you help me find the fastest way to get my license as time is limited for me to do this.
    I look forward to your reply and help.


  129. maha July 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu, i hold an B,D & E expired licence in Malaysia. -Expired January 2011
    i have a One(1) JPJ summon, due to it i m unable to renew. Can you help me on this?
    thank you.


    • Cikgu Yap July 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm - Reply

      Dear Maha, Your licence has unfortunately lapsed. It has expired for more than 3 years. You will have to do a re-test. Contact Putrajaya for advice.


  130. Yew July 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu Yap, i just got my L licence. The problem is i will be going overseas soon for 1 year. My question is can i renew my L licence when i come back to malaysia next year, or will somebody else in malaysia have to renew my L licence every 3/6 months while i am not there?

  131. Sekar Malai July 23, 2014 at 7:29 pm - Reply

    I am 64 years old and do not have a driving license. Am I eligible to enroll in a driving school to take my driving license.

    • Cikgu Yap July 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm - Reply

      Never too old to learn.

  132. Iman Safeen August 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm - Reply

    hello, I can speak both Malay n English but I’m much much better in speaking English. My Malay is not that good at all n I’m scared if I take driving courses in Malay… It will effect my learning n I do not want to fail my driving licence as I don’t understand n speak bahasa fluently. Therefore, Do u know a driving academy which offers an eng course? I called perfect driving academy n they offer totally Malay. I called Jaya driving course n they do offer English but they don’t offer it now.. They said the new English syllabus course has change n I have to wait.. They don’t know when its gonna be done. I heard Metro driving academy has eng course but their not answering their calls.. Pretty frustrated. Help pls??? :( :/

    • Cikgu Yap August 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm - Reply

      Most institutes do not offer English courses. As a matter of fact, most institutes are BM based.

  133. Shu lin August 12, 2014 at 1:43 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, came across your blogpost on a refresher course on driving. I possess a car license since 2009, however i seldom drive till now. I plan on driving in the near future however I have less confidence. Would you be able to help? I do not possess my own vehicle though so I might need the 1st case. Could you let me know on the costs? Do contact me via email thanks

    • Cikgu Yap August 12, 2014 at 4:30 pm - Reply

      Will contact you via your email.

      • Joanne August 22, 2014 at 4:56 am - Reply

        Please contact me on the refresher course too. Thanks.

        • Cikgu Yap August 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm - Reply

          Will be contacting you.

  134. selena August 21, 2014 at 10:39 am - Reply

    mr yap i would like to have your contact number
    i want to learn my driving by this year do help me pls

    • Cikgu Yap August 21, 2014 at 11:33 am - Reply

      Will be contacting you via your email address.

  135. Ms Long August 28, 2014 at 9:52 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap, Can foreign worker go for lorry driving classes without wanting to obtain driving license? We just want them to drive lorry in factory premises. If yes, do you provide such training?

    • Cikgu Yap August 30, 2014 at 11:33 am - Reply

      Driving lessons can’t be done without proper licenses.

  136. Mdm. Chia September 3, 2014 at 10:59 am - Reply

    Mr. Yap,

    My son sit for his theory exam last year, Dec 2013 and obtained a L for motor. Since he is 17th soon and intend to take car license, is he require to sit for another exam or he just need to sit for the course on driving only.

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2014 at 7:13 pm - Reply

      Dear Madam Chia, Your son must do undang test for cars again.

  137. Khaled September 7, 2014 at 10:48 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap, I have my D class license, can I ride motorcycle with this license?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm - Reply

      No. Test for motor (B2) license.

  138. Woon September 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm - Reply

    I’m 16 this year. Can i take my license this year? Or maybe next year January but i’ll be turning 17 on June. So can i take early license?

    • Cikgu Yap September 14, 2014 at 7:52 pm - Reply

      Dear Woon, Concentrate on studies for time being.

  139. Alicia September 16, 2014 at 3:34 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    My daughter turn 17 on 28 October 2014. Can she be allowed to sit for early L license test for car on 26 September 2014 ?

    • Cikgu Yap September 20, 2014 at 8:33 am - Reply

      Wait til your daughter is 17. The proceed to the license procuring procedures. Meanwhile, be patient.

  140. Tan September 28, 2014 at 10:20 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu Yap! I attend Safety Driving Center (SDC) and i’ve been told that if I do not finish all 3 parts of my test (theory and practical) within the 6 months from my registration date, I would be charged an activation fee of RM150 (not inclusive of renewal of L license). Is this common practice?

    • Cikgu Yap September 30, 2014 at 2:24 pm - Reply

      By all means, find an alternative.

  141. Lhornz September 29, 2014 at 11:15 am - Reply

    I’m a filipino, works here in Miri. I got an approval from my employer that I can go on driving course… I did call one of the driving school on how & what is the requirements they said I need to go first to jpj office to ask them if I’m allow to…im really interested with your book jom belajar memamdu but I found out it’s in bahasa do you have english edition? I’m not good in bahasa how I’m goin to understand it hehe what advise you can give me in order to have the book…please help me! I want to go through with the books before I push the lesson & while waiting to accomplish the requirements. Please sir reply to my email. Asap. Thank you so much. Lhornz

    • Cikgu Yap October 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm - Reply

      Get my English version Driving Made Easy to help you.

  142. K. Hoe September 30, 2014 at 11:52 pm - Reply

    What do you think?
    Hi Cikgu Yap,
    I have been living/working in London for 42years. I’ll be returning back to M’sia to retire very2 soon. On returning to M’sia @ end of 2014, I will like to learn driving in M’sia.
    Being in London for so long – I’ve forgotten all of my Bahasa Malaysia. Can I possibly learn driving and do all the tests in English?
    Also I will like very much to buy your books for learning to drive–do you have them in the English language version? Pls.. help…

    • Cikgu Yap October 2, 2014 at 6:13 pm - Reply

      Will be contacting you via your email.

  143. Rikke October 27, 2014 at 10:45 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    I am a foreigner taking my driving license here in Malaysia. I have two questions: In my last lesson I was told that in addition to slope, parking and 3-point turn, I also have to pass zigzag and S-course. I can’t see any information on this anywhere – is this a new requirement.
    Also, I have my test coming up 7th November. If I don’t pass I will have to wait till mid-february to retake due to scheduling issues as the test is only every two weeks and I have an important business commitment on the date two weeks after and I will be travelling for tw months then. Is it possible to schedule the re-test at another location that might have better timing for me? Thanks for you help and very informative site!

    • Cikgu Yap October 31, 2014 at 7:51 pm - Reply

      Dear Rikke, Think carefully before making change as it involves lots of problems. Z and S are new concepts of tests.

  144. Srinivasan October 27, 2014 at 6:07 pm - Reply

    I have L license from one institue and they dont have automatic car to teach the driving. they are telling it will take again 2 months to get a auto car.
    can we change to another institute to learn driving? if so pls guide me

  145. Alireza October 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Thank you for sharing your information. I am a foreigner student holding a permanent residency visa here, and I am turning 17 in 3 months. I would like to know if it is possible to start my driving lessons before my college starts in Jan next year, as I have plenty of free time now. Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm - Reply

      Dear Alireza, Nothing to stop you, really!

  146. Leong Kam Seng December 2, 2014 at 9:23 am - Reply

    Hi, i got my driving license since about 20 years ago. I am working as regional representative as used to be travel. Above 15 years ago my driving license expired and i didn’t renew it. Now, i wanna to buy a car and bank required for my valid driving license. What can i do now…..? How soon can i get the driving license and what is the cost on it..? Please do come back to me ASAP.

    • Cikgu Yap December 5, 2014 at 10:49 am - Reply

      Though your license expired so long ago, you can still retest for your license, exempting you from Part I of the Highway Code. Apply online to JPJ Putrajaya. You must retest Part II and Part III. Ideally get a reliable driving school/institute to assist you. Remember, these days, getting a driving license could be a little bit expensive though.

  147. Hira Khatri December 8, 2014 at 10:43 pm - Reply

    I’m a Pakistani on work permit here.
    I have Pakistan’s International Driving Permit.

    Can it be converted to a Malaysian license?
    If not, is it necessary to do the whole course again if i have been driving for 12 years?



    • Cikgu Yap December 12, 2014 at 6:03 pm - Reply

      Try conversion, failing which, you have to do the retest here.

  148. nayeem December 20, 2014 at 10:40 am - Reply

    I took my motorcycle license around 4years back and i am considering taking a car licence. do i have to retake the computer test?


    • Cikgu Yap December 31, 2014 at 9:12 pm - Reply

      Attend K.P.P.O, dan ambil semula undang-undang.

  149. Bol January 15, 2015 at 11:15 am - Reply

    hi Cikgu,
    i am looking for a suitable driving instructor for my foreigner friend, please help! is it possible if she learn and do all the tests in English, because she can’t speaks in Bahasa.

    we are from Damansara area.

    please contact me as soon as possible,

    thanks a lot

    • Cikgu Yap January 16, 2015 at 6:13 pm - Reply

      Please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  150. Jennifer January 20, 2015 at 8:58 pm - Reply

    Hello Cikgu Yap, I took the Undang Test during August 2013. Now i want to take the teori test. The undang test that i took still valid? or do i need to retake the undang test again?

    Good day.

    • Cikgu Yap January 26, 2015 at 5:27 pm - Reply

      If your L license has been taken out, you can still go for your practical test.

  151. Vish January 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,
    I’ve actually completed my Ujian Bahagian 1 just last month but I haven’t applied for my L license yet. I’m currently out of station from my hometown. I’ll be back on Feb and I have literally one and half months before I fly to overseas to continue my study. Is it possible I could get my license done by that period of time. Because I really need to get it since I’ll be only returning here after a year plus. I guess the period of L will only last for 1 year for me to complete my training. Is it possible that I could get my license by that period of time.

    • Cikgu Yap January 27, 2015 at 8:36 pm - Reply

      You seem too slow in getting things done. An L license can be taken out within a day. A student taking up Malaysian license can only be tested after the L license is more than 1 month old. New regulations require a student to take up a 22 hour course these days. The answer to your question is Yes, if you work fast.

  152. Lee January 28, 2015 at 5:42 pm - Reply

    Can I take driving licence for just Auto?

    • Cikgu Yap January 30, 2015 at 10:01 am - Reply

      For the time being, only a few institutes have auto car.

      • Kevin January 30, 2015 at 4:27 pm - Reply

        Cikgu Yap, which institutions are those? I am very interested in auto driving license.

        • Cikgu Yap January 30, 2015 at 5:14 pm - Reply

          As I know, only a handful of institutes have automatic car for driving lessons. Nonetheless, I’ll contact you via your email to answer your question.

  153. Shan January 29, 2015 at 9:43 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have a valid driving license since i was 17. Am now in my mid 30’s however have not have the necessary skills and courage to drive a car. Would like to attend some refresher driving classes with a small car. Please share some details on how i can go about getting this completed.


    • Cikgu Yap January 29, 2015 at 11:49 am - Reply

      Hi Shan, thanks for writing in. This is a very common occurrence in Malaysia. Many people got their license but didn’t drive for a long time. A couple of refresher lessons will definitely help you to regain your confidence. Will be contacting you soon via your email.

  154. MelodyTan January 30, 2015 at 1:31 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu Yap .. im 18 now and im considering of taking car license..may i know how long does it take for the courses and everything ? .. and how long izzit to get my license ?.. Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap January 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm - Reply

      Not easy to estimate the time to be taken.

  155. Jay January 30, 2015 at 6:20 pm - Reply

    Hello Cikgu Yap,

    I am going to attend my KPP2, so called ‘amali’ class this week. May I know exactly what am I going to do in the 5 1/2 hours of the class? I’ve heard from my friends saying it’s all about maintenance of the car but for the instructor I’ve booked with, he will only take 2 hours to cover maintenance. The time remaining will be the driving part. Is this true?

    • Cikgu Yap January 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm - Reply

      Your isntructor best person to know what he has to do!

      • Jay February 1, 2015 at 11:55 am - Reply

        Just went for my KPP2. My instructor asked me to have a 1 hour learning how to drive the S section with another instructor before going for the maintenance part. The instructor was so rude, literally shouting at me because the car stalled a few times. I told him I have not drove a car before and he kept threatening me to get off the car if I do something wrong again. However, the maintenance part was good though. The original instructor was kind and was willing to explain slowly.

  156. Donavan February 4, 2015 at 12:50 pm - Reply

    I have my car driving license. But if I want to get a motorcycle license, do I still have to take the undang undang test?

    • Cikgu Yap February 6, 2015 at 11:41 am - Reply

      Yes, do undang again!

      • vincent tan February 27, 2015 at 2:11 pm - Reply

        hi mr yap I got the same situation donavan…and I try to contact a driving center they told me not to take the Undang first government will chg back the policy Soon?

        • Cikgu Yap March 5, 2015 at 11:04 pm - Reply

          Dear Vincent, follow Donovan.

  157. John Keogh February 5, 2015 at 12:00 am - Reply

    I moved to Malaysia three years ago. I have a full driving licence for 26 years and have never had an accident. My photocard licence was stolen last year when somebody stole my wallet. The license authorities in the UK will not give me a replacement photocard, because I no longer live in the UK, and JPJ will not accept the UK paper counterpart license to convert to a Malaysian licence. So it seems I must go through driving lessons and tests to get my license here, despite 26 years of accident free driving. I was even a professional driver in the UK. This seems crazy, but I do not have any choice. The annoying thing is that JPJ accepted my paper license to convert the ownership of the Golf GTI I bought last year, but will not now accept the same document to give me a license to drive. I am very frustrated. Do you have any good advice? I am hoping I can fast track through the learner process here in Malaysia so I can actually legally drive my car on your wonderful roads?

    • Cikgu Yap February 6, 2015 at 9:00 am - Reply

      With your problem such as having no proof of your existing license, it looks like you have little choice but to do a retest all over again. Accepting your fotostat license for conversion is not the same as accepting it for the purpose of enabling you to get a license here.

      You have to go through due, proper processes of testing for you to get your Malaysian license.

      • John Keogh February 16, 2015 at 7:21 am - Reply

        OK, thanks for the advice. Can you recommend a good driving school, and let me know how quickly I can go through the process. Cheers.

        • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2015 at 2:18 pm - Reply

          Dear John, If you are in my vicinity (Klang), I could assist you.

  158. Ash February 17, 2015 at 3:44 pm - Reply

    Hi, I have an L for bike which is still valid. Currently l only hold a D license. I now decide to take my full B license. A driving school told me that l still need to sit for the 6 hrs theory and practical course. Your advice is highly appreciated. Also can you recommend any good driving school near Bandar Utama.


    • Cikgu Yap March 1, 2015 at 10:58 pm - Reply

      Your driving school is right!

  159. Brend March 5, 2015 at 4:09 pm - Reply

    Hi, i was wondering if i could change driving academy . I have just failed both parts of my jpj test and my instructor who is an agent takes a really long time to book classes and he is charging me 100 for an hour of class since i have completed my ten hours . He continuously pesters me to go for these classes . I want to change to another instructor who is less greedy for money . However i am worried because i dont know if i can change driving academy .

  160. Brend March 5, 2015 at 5:31 pm - Reply

    Hi, can i change my driving academy as the extra classes cost around 100 an hour . I am holding a L license but have failed my jpj test

  161. Wong March 8, 2015 at 11:34 am - Reply

    Is that car license can only be obtained when 21-year-old?

  162. Cheong April 2, 2015 at 12:48 pm - Reply

    Hi Cik Gu Yap,

    would be grateful for your advice on the issue below

    My friend is a UK citizen and has a UK car licence.
    He has just moved to KLl for 2 years work

    He wants to use a motorcycle (just a small scooter) around KL.
    I understand that he can buy & use the scooter just with the Learners Driving Permit (LDP with L plates)
    for 3 months

    How long can the LDP be extended for ?
    Would it be realistic for him to continuosly renew the LDP for the duration of his 2 year stay here ?

    He travels a lot so is unlikely to have time to do the motorcycle test

    Many thanks in advance for your help


    • Cikgu Yap April 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

      Ask your friend to get an L licence. This licence can be renewed for up to 2 years.

  163. Ling May 17, 2015 at 9:43 pm - Reply

    Hi Cik Gu Yap,

    Thank you for the well-written information and for answering us on the comment section. I was looking through the comment section and from what i gathered, you mentioned the shortest time to obtain a driving license is 45-60days. May I know if the 45-60 days include weekends and public holidays?

    I am a Malaysian residing overseas and will be coming back to Malaysia for 10 weeks. Am wondering if the 10 weeks in Malaysia is enough for me to obtain the driving license? I have no prior experience of driving, but I have lots of time to spare during the 10 weeks. Assuming if I attend driving lessons daily, what is the shortest time I can get my license? I am aiming to get it within 8 weeks, will that be possible?

    Many thanks in advance for your help :)


    • Cikgu Yap May 19, 2015 at 10:25 am - Reply

      Your comments are most appreciated. 45 – 60 days that I’ve quoted was for quite some time ago. Beginning December 2014, the driving school industry are currently saddled with the quota system and an influx of students plus a myriad set of other problems.

      Due to the latest format of testing, it might possibly take a longer period before you can even get a test date. It’s hard to say, but I would assume that one would need a time limit of at least more than 60 days or even more.

  164. NeedHelp June 9, 2015 at 10:21 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,
    I would like to know whether I can go for the 6-hour course KPP 2 while waiting for my L license? I have passed the theory test already. Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap June 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm - Reply

      Take out L first before 6 hours course.

  165. Reza September 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm - Reply


    I’m a foreigner and I dont have driving license
    I have student visa here in malaysia and I decided to get my malaysian driving license
    could you please help me to choose my institute?
    I live in Cyberjaya

  166. saalim January 22, 2017 at 5:47 am - Reply

    your blog is just wonderful. I have been reading its materials for hours now and it is so amazing as well as really helpful.
    Thank you so much!

  167. Mats February 27, 2017 at 8:57 pm - Reply

    Hi, I got my license few years back and my friend is learning to drive now…. She mentioned that she had been driving for 5 hours straight in the compound for her first class and it kinda crashed her (manual gear, btw). During my time, the class was maximum 3 hours, but mostly 2 hours. Can you advise if this is actually feasible, 5 hours straight for a newbie on a manual car?
    It would help me if you could reply to this as soon as possible so I could think of any ways to help my friend. Thank you so much..

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 10:38 am - Reply

      Depends on the instructor. No regulation to say 5 hour training cannot be done. In your friend need to change instructor, she’ll have to think carefully. It involves lots of problem.

  168. Yazeen March 22, 2017 at 2:27 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu, just wondering but can the RUTIN PEMERIKSAAN MOTOSIKAL be done in English?

    • Cikgu Yap May 24, 2017 at 9:28 pm - Reply

      Yes, the RPM can be done in English.

  169. Kenny Thong June 13, 2017 at 3:47 pm - Reply

    L licence expired more than 10 years, can i go to renew at JPJ straight away?

    • Cikgu Yap June 17, 2017 at 10:00 am - Reply

      You have to apply for a new L license.

  170. Hui July 31, 2017 at 10:27 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I am writing to ask if you have a summary for the RPK and RSM part of the exam. Besides that, most importantly I wanted to ask I if I have scheduled for a driving test is there any chance that I can change the date because something urgent came up.

    Thank you.

  171. S.H.Ong August 16, 2018 at 3:44 pm - Reply

    Gd afternoon Mr. Yap,
    I’m Ong (MR), wish to consult about kursus SPIM, can u whatsapp me instead at 0175709081.

Leave A Comment