Guides to Secure a Motorcycle B Full (Super Bikes) 501 cc+ License

Minimum age to apply for a B Full Motor License is 16 years.

If you have not already passed the Highway Code (Undang-undang), you will then have to:

i) attend the 5 hours K.P.P (Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu) course to secure the Sijil JPJL2A.

ii) the above certificate will then enable you to sit the Highway Code.

iii) after passing the Highway Code, you then attend the 6 hour Theory course to get the Sijil JPJL2B.

You will then be able to get your “L” License out.

You are given approximately 1 month to learn how to handle the B Full superbikes.

Normally, most people enroll either with driving schools or Institutes.

This is necessary as only driving Institutes have the big monster bikes to teach you.

To test these licenses, the Institutes have the necessary personnel (Instructors) to provide the instructions.

Furthermore, to test, you have to manipulate these machines in special test routes provided.

In short, B Full tests are conducted in two parts.

Part I (obstacles) include doing 1 1/2 rounds of Roundabout.

Crossing a narrow cement bridge approximately 7 – 8 meter long (in at least 7 seconds), zig zagging among cones and emergency brake maneuvers.

In superbikes, one should remember it has clutch control ability to be dealt with also.

Part II is actually predominantly hand-signals involving left / right turning maneuvers, stopping, slowing down signals and finally stopping and resting the bike as in parking on “one-stand stance”.

Part II begins with the rider electronically starting the machine (you do not kick start), then checking:

a) front / tail lights with your palms.

b) checking the front / rear indicators.

c) brake lights.

d) left / right handle bar mirrors.

e) the horn.

before then moving off. How to tie your helmet Correctly has already been mentioned elsewhere.

Hand signal plus mechanical signals including looking backwards are essentials to secure good grades which will secure you the necessary grades to pass.

It must be reminded that in this section you have to pass / ride through an obstacle of about 3 – 4 meter of uneven terrain to test your bike’s control.

Slowing down hand signals, turning left and right maneuvers will all be taught to you by the instructor on standby duty at the Institutes.

In the 3 – 4 times (approximately 2 hours per lesson) you will learn to be rather competent rider before you are ready for the test.

Regarding B Full test, it should be remembered controlling these machine maybe slightly heavy.

What one should keep in mind is, unlike B2 (-250 cc) bikes where candidates are advised to keep on to the left side of the track, in B Full cases, you are advised to maintain the centre of the track or route.

Experience indicate, in big bikes, especially when one is making say a left turn maneuver, ideally the rider should maintain the bike more towards the right side so as to prevent the handle bars “locking up”.

Locking up is when the handle struts , when turned fully tends to jam against the petrol tank causing one to fall, thus losing control and eventually falling and thus failing.

The same applies to a right hand L turn. The opposite then is applied.

In turning right, take the bike more towards the left thereby preventing the machine handle bar struts jamming against the petrol tank which then instinctively will bring your Right foot towards the ground to prevent it (the bike) from toppling over.

Only experience and sufficient training will bring results which will guide you towards securing a pass.

Theory is not a supplement to Practical lessons.

I realise no matter how best I might try to put forward my advise to you, the fact remains, Success is in your own hands. So do your part.

Visit your motorcycle training circuit regularly.

To be frank with you, securing a B Full (Super Bike) License is hard work. But the results achieved is well worth the effort!

Not many posses the License.

By | 2017-12-22T13:11:24+08:00 May 12th, 2009|Super Bikes|165 Comments

About the Author:


  1. ahmad May 21, 2009 at 3:34 am - Reply

    thank you for sharing the information and your experience. really appreciate it.

  2. Nik October 29, 2009 at 3:50 pm - Reply

    Thanks for sharing. For the B test, will the rider be required to put the bike on the center stand?


    • admin October 29, 2009 at 9:46 pm - Reply

      Dear Nik,

      As a super bike weights more than 1000 lbs, practical test for B class only requires the student yo use “side” stand. This is called the “one stand” stance.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

      • Julian Putra December 20, 2010 at 1:26 am - Reply

        How many 1000lb. superbikes are there ? There is a technique for using the centre stand. My last one weighed less than 500lbs with full liquids.

        • Cikgu Yap December 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm - Reply

          A B Full permits one to ride a bike that’s 501 cc and above. It’s quite difficult to put a 100 over pound on a two stand stance. A one stand stance is suggested.

  3. kristen January 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm - Reply

    thanks….you really helped me alot!
    but izzit heavy? how heavy you think? izzit hard to support?

    • Cikgu Yap February 2, 2010 at 9:39 am - Reply

      Dear Kristen,

      Glad the article assisted you.

      B Full is over 1200 lbs. If B Full motor topples, you are advised not to prevent it from falling down. Leave the bike and just let it fall. Jump clear away! You might break your knee if you attempt to prevent the bike from falling.

  4. Norman June 3, 2010 at 6:21 am - Reply

    Do i need to take the computer test if i already have a D / car license?????

    • Cikgu Yap June 5, 2010 at 5:01 am - Reply

      No computer needed. D exempts you from further tests.

      • Norman June 13, 2010 at 10:41 am - Reply

        thanks for the information……
        by the way…..
        where are you currently working cikgu yap??…..
        i was thinking of taking it in your driving institute…..

        • Cikgu Yap June 15, 2010 at 7:45 am - Reply

          Glad that you find the information of use to you. My driving institute is in Klang, Selangor.

          • Norman July 13, 2010 at 6:52 am

            there is 1 more thing i want to ask……
            can i directly do a B-Full license without taking the B2????

          • Cikgu Yap July 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm

            Yes, you can apply directly for a B Full license. Let the institute authorities know you want the above license when doing the 6 hours theory course.

  5. MF July 1, 2010 at 8:57 am - Reply

    Thanks Sifu Yap for the guide. A really helpful one indeed.

    BTW, I hope you can help me on below.

    I already have competent D and B2 license since 2007. I took the the test for P license way back in early 2005, meaning that I had an L license before that. But I suppose my L license have already expired since then. The thing is, how do I go about upgrading my B2 license to B full now? Thanks in advance for your help.


    • Cikgu Yap July 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm - Reply

      Glad you found the article useful. Your old P cannot be used. I asked a friend who holds a B Full license to test B candidates at institute level and he says you need not undergo 6 hours theory course.

      Try get a B Full license out. Supply 1 photostat of D and B2 license, 1 copy photo and Mykad.

  6. MF July 5, 2010 at 5:48 pm - Reply

    Really appreciate your reply Sifu Yap.

    BTW, if you don’t mind me asking again, do you by any chance know what would be printed on the international license for B2 category? I heard that although you are holding a B2 license, on the international license, it will only print B (‘free’ B full upgrade for one year). Please correct me if this is not true.


    • Cikgu Yap July 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm - Reply

      You have provided me with interesting facts which I myself was not aware of. Anyway, I shall confirm what you say with my Asst. Manager of my institute shortly.

  7. KSS Jagannadha Sastry July 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm - Reply

    Dear Mr. Cikgu Yap

    you are so helpful in providing above tips. Iam an Indian currently having DUBAI, UAE driving license (no3, eligible for cars). I have been promoted within company & getting transferred to Kuala lumpur. I will be there by Sept 15, 2010. Please help me to know below details

    1. can i drive with IDP issued in UAE, if so how long
    2. How to get a bike license (I dont have plans for big bikes, just a bike)
    3. Can i convert my car license or what is procedure in obtaining car license
    4. How long it will take to get license

    Please help me to know these details, please kindly mail me on “”



    • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm - Reply

      Welcome to Malaysia. IDL issued by UAE should be usable in Malaysia. Yes, you can of course get a small bike license here. As for conversion of your license into Malaysian domestic, you’ll have to see the Road Transport officials at Putrajaya.

  8. Andre August 15, 2010 at 9:13 am - Reply

    Hi, I just want to ask about getting the B full license…
    I’ve already gotten a car license, and finished my P period and all and am thinking of getting the B full license as well
    Due to circumstances, I could only do the first part of getting the license, which was sitting for the theory course in KL and getting my L license. That was back in May.
    I’ve recently renewed my L license and moved to Perak.

    I’ve called up a driving school instructor to ask if I could just go for the practical sessions now (practice riding through the course) then going for the exam, but he says that I have to go through the theory course again. Is that true?

    • Cikgu Yap August 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm - Reply

      Get institute where you did your 6 hour theory course to certify your attendance. Then get it certified by the state JPJ you’re in. With the above 2, you should then have no problem testing in Perak.

  9. GD August 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm - Reply

    hi ^^ i was just age 16 able to get full B “L”

    • Cikgu Yap August 22, 2010 at 9:05 am - Reply

      At 16, you can get B Full license.

  10. James September 3, 2010 at 8:44 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Thanks for the informative article above. I have some questions about obtaining a Class B license:

    I obtained a Class D and B2 license about 12 years ago, and now I would like to take a Class B license. Do I need to sit for the 6 hrs theory class and do I need to get the Undang-undang test? All my license are up-to-date as I am driving/riding.

    For the practical class, how long would normally a course will take? Like how many days?

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap September 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm - Reply

      With your B2 license, in my opinion, you are therefore exempted from attending the 6 hours theory course for B Full. No undang-undang test require. Depending on the institute, usually 3 – 4 practical lesson of 2 hours each will suffice, followed by the QTI test.

  11. SYS September 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Thanks for the article! I found it useful for a newbie like me, but i do have some doubts and would like to have some advise from you.

    1. I’m 20 years old, I had obtained a Class D license already, and had already passed the 2 years P period, but i do not have a B2 license. Is my age eligible for obtaining B full license? Do i have to go through the highway codes course again (undang-undang)? Am i able to straight away get a B full license without a B2 license?

    2. I’m staying at Gombak, Selangor area, do you know any nearest driving institute that offer obtaining B full license?

    Hope to hear from your reply soon!

    Many thanks!

    • Cikgu Yap September 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm - Reply

      At 20, you can apply for B Full license. Class D license exempts you from Highway Code exam. However, you have to attend the Theory Course for B Full to get the JPJ L2B certificate to secure your L License.

      • Rajesh September 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

        Dear Cikgu Yap,

        Thanks for the article! I found it useful for all, i have already obtained Class D license 1 and half year ago. now i also would like to apply to B Full.. to ride motor bike too.. What are the procedures are required. referring to the above post it will exempt me to for Highway code test.. but what else i need to do ??


        • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm - Reply

          Attend 6 hours B Full theory then take out L license. Enroll with an institute. Learn up riding superbike.

  12. Kelvin September 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I am wondering of a person that is illegible to get B full license. What are the requirements? Do the height & weight are taken into concern? I am enthusiastic of owning a sport-bike maybe someday.

    • Cikgu Yap September 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm - Reply

      Everything has been explained in the article above.

  13. Jaya September 12, 2010 at 9:57 am - Reply

    Is there a restriction (law) for allowing a certain person only in concern of physical requirements (height & weight) to get a B full license? What are the requirements?

    Hope to hear positive reply from you soon!

    • Cikgu Yap September 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm - Reply

      B Full bikes area big bikes weighing well over 1200 lbs. There is no restriction to prevent anyone riding such a bike. If one feels he has the physique, the height and ability to handle, by all means, go ahead and use it.

  14. Ivan September 23, 2010 at 12:03 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am planning to get my B2 license upgrade to B full but can I own the bike first before upgrading?

    I have found a BMW FS650 but not sure whether should I buy the bike first then only go for license.

    • Cikgu Yap September 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm - Reply

      There is nothing to stop you getting the B Full bike prior to your getting a B Full license. If as you say you’ve found a good buy, by all means secure it. And then slowly work towards securing your B Full license then.

  15. Angel October 17, 2010 at 10:03 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I have a full license for car for almost 2 years now, recently i wanted to take up bike instead, looking towards the B2, i was told i’m supposed to sit for the kursus to get back my ‘L’ then only can take my bike license, which would cost approx RM 500!- jus for a bike licenceMy prev “L” Licence (few yrs ago) was for car & bike, which of course have expired, is there any way for me to straight take the license since i have ardy sat for the course previously??

    Kindly advise.

    • Cikgu Yap October 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm - Reply

      Sorry, no other way except for your to attend 6 hours theory for bikes. Correct, you’ll need RM300 – RM500 to get a B2 license.

  16. Ian November 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm - Reply

    I failed my Full B test twice, said I was driving at the right side of track!

    1st time, I really don’t know about this (my instructor said this should be understood)

    2nd time, I already tried my best to keep at the left hand side, but after turning the bike might be tend to the center, but I was still told I am driving at the right hand side… Failed again!

    Is that true?

    • Cikgu Yap November 26, 2010 at 9:08 pm - Reply

      Riding on the right side will cause you to fail. Riding on the extreme left side will also cause you to fail. You should ideally ride motorbike in the centre of the track. Move only more to the right only when you’re making a sharp turn. Your instructor should know how to advise you properly.

      Most importantly, you should be able to handle the superbike confidently. To do this, you’ll have to take enough lessons to handle the bike well.

  17. Reza December 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm - Reply

    Dear Mr. Cikgu Yap

    basically currently im holding the “D” driving license (p) witch i transferred from my international car license to Malaysian license. by the way i’m wishing to get the B full license witch would allow me to ride the super-bikes , but i’m very confuse that what are the steps should i follow?! and should i apply for Highway Code or no?! becuse i’m not familiar with the rules and regulation in here.

    • Cikgu Yap December 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm - Reply

      As you already have a full license, Highway Code is therefore not necessary. To get a full B License, you must attend the 6 hours theory class. Then take out your L for B Full.

  18. Caleb March 11, 2011 at 12:48 am - Reply

    very informative. i just want to know, what are the necessary requirements to get a B full licence? i am currently holding a D licence only. Can i just apply for B full straight away, or is there anything that i should have before that? thank you for your time!

    • Cikgu Yap March 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm - Reply

      You have to attend a 6 hour theory course to obtain certificate JPJL2B to get a B Full L License.

      • Caleb March 17, 2011 at 1:55 am - Reply

        so i can apply directly for a B full licence?

  19. Vincent May 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm - Reply

    I read all the comment above but just wanted to clarify pls. I have a D and a B2 license for more than 20 years now. I want to get a B1 so that i can ride a bigger bike. How can I go about it, Pls advice. Thank you very much.

    • Cikgu Yap May 22, 2011 at 8:31 am - Reply

      As most institutes do not cater for B1, you’re advised to secure a B Full motorcycle license. Attend a 6 hours theory course to get certificate JPJ L2B, then take out a B Full L License.

  20. Ady June 1, 2011 at 11:05 am - Reply

    Very informative site. Keep up the good work Cikgu. Frankly, I myself been thinking of upgrading my licence to a B full.

    I have some questions though;
    1. U’ve mentioned that your driving institute is located in Klang, may I know where and how to contact? (sorry if it has been mentioned anywhere in other pages, but I can’t find any)

    2. In average, how much it’ll cost me to upgrade my licence from B2 to B full (including training, fees etc..) I’m holding B2 and D licence since 1995 and from your article, I assumed that I am not required to attend/ sit for exam or undang2 class. Only training class on how to ride the monster and the test. Correct me if I’m wrong.

    3. Since I only ride bike with clutch once in a blue moon, would it be possible to request extra training class for me to familiarize with the machine? If yes, how much it’ll cost me?

    Appreciate ur feedback.

    • Cikgu Yap June 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm - Reply

      Yes, I am located in Klang. Please furnish your contact details.

      Converting B2 to B Full should be anything from RM400 to RM550 for practical lessons and test. Undang-undang not required. You’ll have to attend 6 hours theory to get certificate JPJL2B. Yes, extra classes can be arranged.

  21. Idrus July 2, 2011 at 9:18 am - Reply

    Mr Yap,
    Very informative site. I am yet to pass B full test.
    I failed riding on the plank in 7 secs for 2 times. Lost balance and then off the
    Plank. Any tips how keep the balance?


    • Cikgu Yap July 5, 2011 at 12:12 am - Reply

      Should you possess a B full bike of your own, practice more riding on it to make yourself more proficient in the handling of the bike before going up on the bridge.

  22. lara October 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    How come so many ppl fail the plank test – r they not steady?

    • Cikgu Yap November 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm - Reply

      Obviously they have failed to learn up crossing the bridge well enough.

  23. Yamster November 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm - Reply

    Very informative… I am surprisingly a female superbike enthusiast… I have a car licence, never Driven a bike but looking to take the 1st step by getting my full B license… Can you please layout what needs to be done and how much wud the whole thing cost?? And what else wud I have to spend on… Looking forward to ur reply and contact is you are teaching…

    • Cikgu Yap November 29, 2011 at 6:01 am - Reply

      Most of the information you are looking for has been highlighted above. In regards to cost, it differs from institute to institute.

  24. Adrian January 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm - Reply

    Thanks for the article it was very informative. Just a quick question though. I have never ridden a bike before and am interested in getting a B Full Licence. I have a D Class licence. Do I still need to do the “Undang Test”? or can I go straight into the 6 Hour workshops and practical training?

    Do I need to have prior to this a B2 Licence? I got my D Class licence back in 2008 will that matter?

    • Cikgu Yap January 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm - Reply

      Undang-undang not needed. Go straight to 6 hour theory.

      • Adrian January 3, 2012 at 5:59 am - Reply

        I see. Thanks so much! can you recommend any good driving schools in Subang area?

  25. Ethan Tan February 15, 2012 at 11:12 am - Reply

    Hi there, appreciate ur information so much!
    I ‘d have one more question, im from kl area, how much budget should i prepare if i were to take the 6 hour theories , 4 session of practice and the test for B license ?

    • Cikgu Yap February 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm - Reply

      B Full will cost between RM600 – RM700.

      • Ethan Tan February 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm - Reply

        Appreciated so much, thanks again =)

  26. Sean March 5, 2012 at 2:23 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap, after attending the theory course for B-full licence, I will obtain a L licence right? Am I legally allowed to ride 500cc+ bikes on the road using the L licence or am I limited to 250cc?
    Also, can the L licence be continually renewed to ride on public roads?

    • Cikgu Yap March 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm - Reply

      Your contention is correct. With “L”, you can ride bikes over 501cc. Hang “L” back and front and you can ride indefinitely without going for practical test.

      • Sean March 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm - Reply

        Thanks for the reply. Just one last question, what is the cheapest way to get the L licence? A driving school quoted me 220 for just the L. Is it possible to get it straight through jpj?

        • Cikgu Yap March 29, 2012 at 9:12 am - Reply

          JPJ does not deal with students directly. Prices quoted are always subjective.

          • Sean October 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm

            Cikgu Yap, after getting my B Full L licence two years ago; I have been renewing it every 6 months at the post office. but recently I was informed that the law has changed and the L license cannot be renewed anymore. How should I go about this? Do I really have to go for the 6 hour theory course again to get another L license?

          • Cikgu Yap October 24, 2014 at 11:36 am

            Dear Sean, An ‘L’ licence has a life spam of 2 years normally. Looks as if you’ll have little choice but attend the theory course and sit the ‘undang’ test all over!

          • Sean October 25, 2014 at 6:36 am

            Noted. I guess laws has changed since the comment you made 2 years ago whereby “you can ride indefinitely without going for practical test.”
            Looks like I will just have to put off riding and slowly save up the cash to go for a new licence. Heard it costs >1k nowadays.
            Thanks for the help.

          • Cikgu Yap October 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm

            Dear Sean. Actually, the undang-undang encompassed into your L is valid for only 2 years. However, all along J.P.P. hasn’t been too strict implementing it!

  27. lee germaine April 19, 2012 at 3:44 am - Reply

    hi,been a motorcyclist for 35 years,qualified as an instructor in1998 .have advanced police qualifcations as well as teaching 50cc-onwards(any size) for the uk goverment plus teaching instructors to advance level.

    are there any openings(job placements)for Britts? have been to malaysia many times since 1991-2010.

    lee germaine

    • Cikgu Yap April 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm - Reply

      Although I’ve been a instructor for more than 40 years, I would readily admit that you indeed have very good records as an instructor. Unfortunately, in Malaysia, the authorities here have a different set of rules regarding certificates and qualifications.

      However, like anywhere else, the openings are always there. You could come here and ask around. Who knows what your chances are over here.

  28. Ken April 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm - Reply

    cikgu Yap, i was wondering is there a height limit for the full B license. as in at least how tall must i be to be able to ride on a Big Bike.

    • Cikgu Yap April 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm - Reply

      There is no height required to get a B Full license. I am unfortunately unable to say what exactly is the optimum height.

  29. Jerome April 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap, you’ve helped a great deal as there’s a lot of questions in my mind but most of them have been answered, thank you for sharing the article. But there’s still something I wanted to ask

    First of all, we all know that Malaysia tax is very high and I don’t tend to get a car when my parents offer me to have a license. That’s right, I want a Superbike!

    I’m currently turning 17, I wanted to know if I can sit for a B full license directly, I haven’t undergo any of the courses or obtained any licenses, and has no riding/driving experiences. My friend sat for his B full last year when he was 16 and now he owns a Ducati and a Z750. I’m confused since you stated the requirement was at least 21 years old.

    What do I have to be aware of while riding? I originally planned to buy a Ducati Monster 795 that was released recently, the bike seems to be small compared to other naked/superbikes.

    I’m mentally ready for training needed as I came to realise that riding a superbike isn’t as easy as I imagined. I also heard that for beginners it’s better to start off with a 250cc bike to learn the skills 1st, but I don’t tend to do that, I hope consistent training in the driving institute could have this problem solved(I’m scared of falling from a heavy bike)

    I hope Cikgu can give a reply asap to get my doubts answered, thanks in advance :)

    • Cikgu Yap April 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

      My apologies for making of mistakes quoting the wrong age for B Full. It should in fact be 17 years. The error has been rectified.

      • Jerome April 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm - Reply

        So am I qualified to sit for B full in my current state? I’m turning 17 as I mentioned before

        • Cikgu Yap April 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm - Reply

          Yes, you can go ahead to secure your B Full license. Age for getting above license is 16.

          • Jerome May 1, 2012 at 1:34 am

            Thank you so much for your information and time, pls do continue to be a helpful instructor like u always did, best regards :)

  30. lee germaine April 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm - Reply

    many thanks for your time.lee

  31. Aliff May 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm - Reply

    cikgu yap, i heard from a friend that a “B full” licence is only for a single rider and you need to go for another test that would cost more if you want to ride with a passenger.. is it true?

    • Cikgu Yap May 26, 2012 at 10:48 am - Reply

      There is no requirement to say that B Full riders cannot ferry pillion riders. I feel you have been misinformed.

  32. Eddy May 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I recently posted but i dont know where my comment went so im sorry if im asking again.

    I was wondering if i already have a full D class license and now take a B class license, will i be issued a P after passing my L tests?
    or will i be able to bypass this since it will only be issued in 1 license card right?

    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap May 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm - Reply

      No P days for you!

  33. Shah June 24, 2012 at 6:43 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I have question regarding the time to take the licence.
    Currently I am a student in Spain and will be going back for holiday
    for one month. I never ride or know how to ride a superbike but planning
    to take the licence during my holiday. Is ne month is enough to get the licence?.
    For your information currently I have a driving licence and in my past experience only ride c70 during my first degree in Malaysia.

    • Cikgu Yap June 28, 2012 at 11:26 am - Reply

      1 month is insufficient time to get a B Full license. You need at least 45 – 50 days. If your B2 motor license is a Malaysian one, just simply take out a new L license. Get a driving school to assist you. You will have to do a pro ujian. You can only test after the L license is 1 month old.

  34. Jeremy July 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have a few questions regarding B-Full License:
    1. I see most big bikes riding on the normal car lanes instead of designated motorcycle lanes, is it right for them to do so? I mean legally, according to Malaysian law?

    2. Is eight hours of practical test with >500cc bikes sufficient for a test taker with no prior motorcycle riding experience?

    • Cikgu Yap July 11, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

      B Full are permitted to drive on normal highways. They are too big to be driven in motorcycle lanes. It would do better to extend another 2 – 4 hours training.

  35. AKGrng July 24, 2012 at 1:04 am - Reply

    Hi im wondering that if i get a b full license which is for 500cc and above i can still ride a 250cc if i want right?

    • Cikgu Yap July 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm - Reply

      Ya, anda boleh pandu motor 250cc.

  36. Ben July 26, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am planning to get my full B done soon, but I was wondering, is the circuit exactly the same as the one I did for B2 back in 1998? This includes the emergency brake portion.

    Thanks a bunch Cikgu.

    • Cikgu Yap July 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm - Reply

      If your former institute has not been upgraded since you did your B2 test, than it should be the same.

  37. Choong July 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu :)

    I am 21 male malaysian with work permit holder in singapore
    I have b full license.
    I plan to buy a 600cc bike in malaysia and ride to singapore to work( i live in jb)

    How can i do to legal ride???

    • Cikgu Yap July 30, 2012 at 1:24 pm - Reply

      There appears no problems for you to get a B Full bike legally in Malaysia.

  38. U.T August 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm - Reply

    Hi, Mr.Yap appreciate ur information so much!
    I have a question, part 2 test stopping the bike in parking on “one-stand stance”.
    After that should I ride the bike away or push it away?

    • Cikgu Yap August 6, 2012 at 9:24 am - Reply

      For B2 test, use double stand when ending test. For B full, use one stand stance only. After that, push the bike to the starting point. In some institutes, they allow you to ride superbikes to the starting point itself.

  39. Ben October 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

    I just passed my B-Full today ! :)

    Thank you cikgu for the reply and sorry for not thanking you earlier.


    • Cikgu Yap October 7, 2012 at 9:03 am - Reply

      Syabas! Good for you. Do ride safely.

  40. Carlson October 9, 2012 at 8:40 am - Reply

    Hello, thank you for the information. Very helped me out :) cheers to that.
    By the way, I want to ask… I’m a former student 16 years old, know nothing about superbikes.. What is your suggestion on getting a license? I mean, I know nothing of using a mortocycle in my life but I want to take interest and learn it when I’m able to.. So how am I suppose to trial out? Probably buy one bike myself first? I have no information in my head on how to use a bike. Thanks :) I live nearby klang so I might be able to attend your license program !! :)

    • Cikgu Yap October 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm - Reply

      As a young boy with no motorcycle riding experience, get a B2 (-250cc) license first. When you’re more well versed with the handling of smaller bikes, then move on to superbikes later. This option maybe slightly more expensive in the long run, but it’s for your own welfare and safety overall. Do remember, a B Full superbike is more than 501cc.

  41. Md October 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm - Reply

    Greetings Cikgu Yap, recently i went to a driving school to get a motorcycle license. I explain that i already have a D and i’m interested to get a B2 or B. Their explanation was clear very similar to your explanation. However, when i told them that i had not ridden a motorcycle before, they refused to let me register as they were afraid that i may ‘damaged’ their motorcycle during the process. They told me to go and learn how to ride a motorcycle first before i register. I was quite puzzled; am i ‘missing’ something?

    • Cikgu Yap October 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm - Reply

      Not all institutes / driving schools are ready to teach a rider from scratch. I suggest you look for one which can cooperate with you.

      • Md October 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm - Reply

        I appreciate the reply but i can’t say that i agree with it. I believe every school should be able to teach those who want to learn, no matter at what level there are at.

  42. Matt November 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm - Reply

    Hi, I already taken the B2 license and I am still ‘P’. But my P is going to expired on march 2013. If I plan to take the B full license, do I have to retake the motorcycle theory class? And can you recommend me a driving institute in KL for me to obtain a B full license. (any institute in KL except the Surfine Hitech Driving Institut in Ulu Langat, the instructor there is no really good.)

    • Cikgu Yap November 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm - Reply

      With B2 license, you’re exempted from theory class. Take out a new L license for B Full. Then take up riding lessons at any institutes.

      • Matt November 11, 2012 at 1:30 am - Reply

        Oh, thanks Cikgu Yap. ll

  43. Sim November 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap , I’m turning 16 next month and would like to apply for B FULL license . I would like to ask if it is appropriate to start of with a 600cc superbike ? I have no experience in driving nor riding .

    • Cikgu Yap November 21, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

      Since you’re young and inexperience, get a B2 license first. Later on, you can go on to B Full.

      • Sim December 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm - Reply

        is the law same as car license ?

        • Cikgu Yap December 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm - Reply

          You can learn to drive cars at 17 years.

  44. Sim December 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm - Reply

    Do i still have to attend the 5 hours K.P.P (Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu) for cars , if i have already secured B-Full license ?

    • Cikgu Yap December 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm - Reply

      No. Attend 6 hour theory course for cars only.

  45. Gna December 14, 2012 at 6:44 am - Reply


    I own a D and B2 licence for more than 15 years. To upgrade to B full, i saw from ur previous replies you need to take another L licence for B Full, and another class for riding lessons..

    Can i skip the lessons and straight away apply L and took the exam straigh as im capable on riding above 500cc bikes?

    to have the new L licence.. do i need to get another L card? is there another charge for that?

    TQ sifu

    • Cikgu Yap December 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm - Reply

      To upgrade to B Full, take out new L license. Not necessary to attend any course. Attending a 4-6 hour riding lessons at an institute is a compulsory requirement.

  46. Naveen March 6, 2013 at 10:23 am - Reply

    I already have b2 then Im planning to change it to B full so so what test should I attend? I wanted to buy Kawasaki 6f. Im so frustrating now with that dumb b2. :(

    • Cikgu Yap March 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm - Reply

      You are exempted from Highway Code. Get a good instructor to take out a new B Full “L”. No courses needed. Enrol at institute to take up a B Full course. You have to do a 4 – 6 hours learning up how to ride a superbike.

  47. Norman March 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm - Reply

    Hello there Cikgu Yap….

    im currently learning, got my Learner license now…..
    and i was wondering that if i can buy a bike with my learner license….

    im thinking of buying a kawasaki 250 or maybe if god permits me kawasaki er-6f,
    for jz learning my own at around my neighborhood….. what are your thoughts bout this???

    • Cikgu Yap March 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm - Reply

      If B2, you can buy bike under 250 cc. B Full, you can buy bike over 501 cc. Hang L plates on your bike while riding. Also, do not carry people.

  48. Lorraine April 2, 2013 at 11:23 am - Reply

    Hi there Cikgu Yap….
    I was just wondering I want to take my B full license but I am a 5 feet 2 inch tall female . Do you think I could handle the bike……as I really really want to get a Harley……..just want some practical advice…… for the practical test do they give a really really heavy bike……

    • Cikgu Yap April 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm - Reply

      Your stature will not be a big hindrance to your desire of getting a B Full license. Therefore go for it. Best of luck.

  49. Matt May 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap. I just got my D and B2 CDL a few months back and intended to take B full. So, I went to JPJ office this morning, filled up the forms and all for applying L license for B full class. However, the JPJ staff who is assisting me said, she is having difficulties of keying in my data into the system, because my CDL is brand new, and the system block her from processing my B full L license. I was told by her that, I will have to wait 3 years from the date that my CDL was issued. However, with the ‘Malaysia Boleh’ spirit, I decided to try my luck at a Driving School. I told the staff there about the JPJ thing, but they told me, they will get my L license for me with no problem at all. So Cikgu, may I ask, have you deal with this kind of case before? Do you think the Driving School will succeed in getting me my B Full L License? Thanks!

    • Cikgu Yap May 13, 2013 at 10:48 am - Reply

      There must be something wrong with JPJ’s computer system that day. Your driving school should be able to help you with the issuance of new B Full L License.

  50. Abu July 13, 2013 at 5:38 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap.

    I saw a promotion from a Driving Academy offering a B2 & B Full license combo package.

    I thought if a person has a B Full, they already qualify to ride bikes less than 500cc if they wanted to.

    Is there a need to get a B2 license if you already have a B Full?

    • Cikgu Yap July 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm - Reply

      You are correct. B Full allowed to ride smaller cc bikes.

  51. zack July 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,
    I just got my B2 license and intend to get a B full license, but the Driving school told me that “You need to be at least 21 years old to get this license”. Is the JPJ have change the system from 16 years old to 21???

    • Cikgu Yap July 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

      Your driving school is wrong. You can get B Full up 16 years.

  52. Faz August 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    is it true that if i ride a bike like 300cc +/- (Not more than 400cc) in Malaysia is still acceptable although i just have a B2 license.(Some of my friends said JPJ still can accept it).Currently, how much is the cost will be charge by the Driving School (Average range) if we want to upgrade a B2 license into B Full. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap August 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm - Reply

      Above 251 cc requires a B Full license.

  53. logitech September 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm - Reply

    hi , cikgu yap can i just take L license first and take the training and exam half year later?

    • Cikgu Yap September 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm - Reply

      Yes you can .

  54. Jack Lee January 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I have Singapore Class 2 licence which is for > 400cc bike. If I convert to Malaysian driving licence, will JPJ give Class B full to me automatically, or do I need to show some proof of documentation that I have rode Class B full bike for at least certain of years?

    Thanks for your advise in advance!

  55. Nik Zurin March 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm - Reply

    Thank-you for sharing this information, most helpful!

    I am Malaysian and just got back from a one year working assignment in the US. While I was there, I took and passed their Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class. I bought a new Kawasaki Versys 650 and have been riding it to work everyday in the last 5 months. I’ve also taken long rides with friends in the countryside and freeways for pleasure. My bike is equipped with hard panniers I installed myself and a few other accessories.

    I’d like to know if it’s possible to convert my US motorcycle license to a full Malaysian B license. If this is possible, could you advise what are the procedures to do that.


    Best regards, Nik

    • Cikgu Yap March 27, 2014 at 11:26 am - Reply

      Likely your American motorcycle license can be converted into Malaysian B Full license. Visit the nearest Road Transport Office to seek advice.

  56. Daniel R April 15, 2014 at 12:39 am - Reply


    I can say you have helped me a lot already to acquired my class-D PDL 20 months ago! So thank you!

    I now have a class-D (PDL) and I’m interested in also learning how to ride a motorcycle.

    If I get my Learner’s Class-B, would this cause any changes of when I will be eligible for my class-D CDL? Should I wait until I upgrade my class-D probationary to competent? Or is it beneficial for me to get my class-B Leaner’s before I’m eligible to upgrade my car driving license?

    Please advise.

    Thank you!

  57. Chris April 28, 2014 at 3:52 am - Reply

    Mr Yap, could I know if I want to get the B FULL LICENSE, do I need to equip a SUPER BIKE to have the training class? I mean do I need to equip with own bike?

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2014 at 11:08 am - Reply

      Institutes have their own superbikes. Not necessary to get your own.

  58. Herman Veenhuis June 16, 2014 at 4:26 pm - Reply

    Dear Mr. Yap, I hold a European (Dutch) big bike, as well as a car license for already many years. When I arrived in KL I applied for conversion to Malayian driving license. The motor cycle licence was reduced to a B2 by JPJ.
    – is it correct for JPJ to do this
    – if not, how to appeal
    – if so, how to get as quick as possible full-B license again
    Thank you for your advice

    • Cikgu Yap June 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm - Reply

      Dear Herman Veenhuis, The authorities have made the decision to give you a B2 licence. If you wish to have a B FULL licence, you’ll have to do a re-test. It takes time and money!


  59. Daniel Lhoo June 25, 2014 at 2:07 am - Reply

    Dear Cigku Yap,

    I know this sounds newbie, but as a non-motorcycle license holder, may I ask what are the restrictions of an L license in comparison to getting the full license. I was told that during L, I am not allowed to have a pillion riding with me. Also I have a time restriction that I must have a full license before the L expires.

    I maybe wrong as these are information obtained from others. I would appreciate a professional’s advice if possible. You’re help is much appreciated.


    • Cikgu Yap June 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

      L can’t carry pillion riders. If L expires, renew it!

  60. ChanYM July 3, 2014 at 11:04 am - Reply

    Hello CikguYap,

    I’ve just retired and now have all the time in the world to pursue my interest which is to get myself a B Full license . I read that you are based in Klang which is where I stay. Hence I wish to register myself with your school , so may I have your address please ?

    By the way I stay between Sekolah Tinggi Klang and the Bulatan 100 (round about)….and why is it that I’ve never seen a big biker on a ‘L’ plate before on the road ???

    Never too old to have a passion !!!!


    • Cikgu Yap July 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm - Reply

      Will contact you via your email.

  61. Eric July 5, 2014 at 11:59 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap. I have D license and been driving for almost 20 years. I’m thinking of getting a B full license. What’s the process of getting one? I was told that I need to produce my L license, which I could not locate now, else I have to resit the undang again? I find it funny since I wouldn’t get my D license if I’ve not passed the undang. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2014 at 3:55 pm - Reply

      Dear Eric, TO get B FULL, D licence holders exempted from undang test. Unnecessary to produce old “L”. Ask driving school/institute to apply directly for new ‘L’ Licence.

      • Eric July 7, 2014 at 10:49 pm - Reply

        Thanks for your advice. Do you cater for CHERAS area?

        • Cikgu Yap July 8, 2014 at 10:31 am - Reply

          We are short of instructor for the time being. Please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  62. Jo July 16, 2014 at 12:41 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I own a D license, and now would like to get a B2 license. Do I still have to take the “undang” test? And how much is the price for a B2 license now? Please advice, thank you.


    • Cikgu Yap July 20, 2014 at 11:49 am - Reply

      Dear Jo, Under latest rules/regulations, you’d probably have to undergo the ‘undang’ test.

  63. Rudy September 22, 2014 at 1:01 am - Reply

    the details you have provided seems informative. I am a foreigner working here in Putrajaya. I am looking at getting a Class B license for bike. Please can you list out the procedure for it.

    Also will my country’;s license have any value in this case.


    • Cikgu Yap September 23, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

      Everything has been written in the article above.

  64. Jarrett February 1, 2015 at 4:38 pm - Reply

    Thanks for the article, I wanna ask when can I buy my first motorcycle? Can I buy it with a L license or do I need to get a P license ?

    • Cikgu Yap February 2, 2015 at 9:27 am - Reply

      Yes, you can buy motor with L.

  65. SW March 2, 2015 at 5:47 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I’ve read through the entire article and found this specific answer as follow for applying L license for B full.


    Cikgu Yap – March 29, 2012 at 9:12 am

    JPJ does not deal with students directly. Prices quoted are always subjective.

    Recently, I called a driving institution and the clerk told me that I can go directly to JPJ to apply for L license.

    So, the question is, is this true? Has the JPJ rule changed since 2012?

    appreciate your advice.


  66. J April 14, 2015 at 5:15 pm - Reply

    Just got some quastions to ask
    – I got my driving license class d, and I am interested to get the class B license.
    -fyi I have been driving for more than 5 years

    Do I need to retake the test? Attend the 5 hours course? Or can I just go take lesson and go for the bike test?

    Hope you can help me with these queries. Thank you :)

    • Cikgu Yap April 20, 2015 at 4:45 pm - Reply

      Attend 6 hours course, then sit for motorcycle highway code.

  67. Bakhtiar May 23, 2015 at 8:47 am - Reply

    Hi, great info, helpful.

    I have read previous comments and inquiries. I just want to clear things up since it is now 2015.

    I have a D license already and thinking of going for the B full motorcycle license.

    1. I would first like to know the ball park cost of taking the B full license.
    2. I would like to know whether I still need to do the computer test, is there any changes to that condition?
    3. The 6 hours course comprises of what exactly?

    Appreciate your time.


    • Cikgu Yap May 25, 2015 at 6:09 pm - Reply

      Attend the 6 hour course (O1) and then sit for the computer test. Cost differ from places to places.

  68. Alex July 10, 2015 at 10:17 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I already have D license and have been driving for about 10 years already. I would like to take up B Full license.

    Is it mandatory to take the computer test again before getting the “L”? Can we write an appeal letter to not take the computer test? It doesn’t make sense to take the same computer test that we have already passed previously.

    Would appreciate your feedback.


    • Cikgu Yap July 15, 2015 at 9:03 pm - Reply

      Do 6 hour theory. Sit for the Highway Code.

  69. Chris July 12, 2015 at 10:35 am - Reply

    May I know how much wil be the total cost to get a b full as of july 2015?

    • Cikgu Yap July 15, 2015 at 9:06 pm - Reply

      B Full is anything around RM1000.

  70. Vedra February 3, 2016 at 4:02 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap… I am quite desperate and did some research online all to no avail.

    I am a foreigner trying to sell my motorbike (Royal Enfield Thunderbird) we imported to Malaysia from India in 2011.. We have used ICP from JPJ while driving it here, in KL. For the past 2 years we have been hardly using it as we didn’t renew our JPJ license (ICP). We want to go home and trying to sell it, but I read the foreign plated vehicle can not be sold here or transferred to Malaysian name… Can I transfer to someone as a gift, but actually sell to that person? I have no clue what to do.. when I asked in JPJ they also have no clue..

    Appreciate your advice.

    Many thanks,

  71. Jonathan Bryce May 3, 2016 at 9:12 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,

    I am from London but now living in Semenyih and working in KLCC. I have converted my licence to a Malaysian licence but it is only B2. However, I still have my full British licence and JPJ have given me a provisional licence for B-FULL, valid for 6 months, to give me time to take my B-FULL test. I currently ride a Kawasaki Versys 650. I have 38 years of biking experience. My bike in the UK was a Yamaha FJR1300.

    Please could you advise me on where I can take lessons and take my test for B-FULL, preferably as close as possible to Semenyih, or Kajang. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan Bryce

  72. NG KOK WEI May 24, 2017 at 1:01 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, can B “L” license ride motorbike on highway? TQ

    • Cikgu Yap May 24, 2017 at 9:08 pm - Reply

      Yes, you can ride your superbike on the highway with your “L” license. But remember, you have to use the car lane rather than the motorcycle lane.

  73. Aras February 8, 2018 at 6:57 am - Reply


    I have B2 since many years ago. Now i want to upgrade to Bfull, from driving academy web, for existing B2 holder required to request B LDL from JPJ first. Here i need you to clarify few things.

    1. I can request for LDL at anytime regardless how long already i took the computer test or during my time it’s call table test?
    2. Assume i got the LDL edy, do i have to sit in for the theory class again or any classroom test? OR can proceed straight to practical?
    3. What are the current rate for B2 to Bfull since most of driving academy web only stated 1st licence package.

    Please shed some lights. Thanks

Leave A Comment