Crashing into the rear or the back of the vehicle is an offense.

The law in Malaysia stipulates the driver responsible for the crash is the one who crashed into the car in front will be the one responsible.

Many drivers are not aware how 2 drivers can settle the above minor accident.

Going to the police station nearby is always a hassle.

It may take sometimes one or two hours.

What do drivers do when a minor accident occur?

Drivers involved in minor accidents can do 2 things. They can:

1) Settle the problem amicably among themselves.

2) Go to make a police report at the nearest police station.

Remember though, a police report has to be made within 24 hours.

The driver responsible for the accident will normally be fined a minimum of RM300.

The driver responsible will also lose his N.C.B. or No Claims Bonus the year following.

In short, his car insurance will therefore become more expensive.

Meaning, he will have to pay more for his insurance.

Beside this, a driver is also advised to inform his insurance company regarding the accident within a week.

Do not ignore this advice.

Many insurance companies try ways and means to disclaim or not to take responsibility of the accidents.

So it’s best you inform your insurance company, no matter how busy you might be.

Firstly, we shall deal with the problem of settling the minor accident amongst drivers.

After agreeing to the amount that’s payable, a simple but necessary agreement will have to be made.

Even though you are in a busy traffic congested location, you actually have no alternative but to draw up a simple agreement.

An agreement may sound like the format given below.

It you are an educated person, drawing up the agreement will pose no problem.

Re: Minor Accident Between Vehicle No.XXX 8888 and YYY 9999.

Place: Federal Highway                                Time: 2:30pm

The driver of vehicle No. XXX 8888, do hereby agree to pay driver YYY 9999 a sum of RM500 (Five Hundred Only) to settle a minor accident.

Signature,                                                          Signature,
Driver XXX 8888                                            Driver YYY 9999

Date xx January 2010.

Exchange phone numbers and license numbers if you feel necessary.

It is suggested that, as the one responsible for the accident, open up a paper file to keep this simple agreement.

Add in a few other important details regarding the accident should you so desire.

And now, let us move on to the second manner in which we can settle the same problem.

The 2nd way settle the minor accident is to obviously make a police report.

To do the above, you have to bring along your driving license and identification paper or MyKad.

At the police station, you will be attended to by a corporal.

The details of the accidents and your personal particulars will be recorded.

Next, you will be sent to meet a higher ranking officer.

After a short inquiry, the officer will make a decision as to whether you are responsible or otherwise.

Should you be found responsible, the officer will then issue you a summons, normally a compound summons.

You can pay up the summons within one month.

The next step, go down to the compounds of the police station to have a photograph taken of your damaged vehicle.

Ideally, you are advised to get a copy (which cost RM2) of the police report a few days after.

Inform you insurance company regarding the accident as soon as possible.

As regards repairing your vehicle, see your insurance agent about it or he might even direct you to Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (P.I.A.M) or its authorized repair agents in town.

Hopefully this short article will be of assistance to those who are involved in some minor accidents.

By | 2017-06-07T10:25:31+08:00 January 28th, 2010|Driving In Malaysia|244 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Cena June 22, 2010 at 5:53 am - Reply

    How if somebody knocked my car from behind, and i have a international driving licence? could i claim the insurance?

    • Cikgu Yap June 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm - Reply

      All cars have insurance. Irregardless if you have IDL or otherwise, you can claim the other party insurance.

    • Meera June 26, 2016 at 5:24 pm - Reply

      Hi if both parties agree not to make a report n repair themselves and after a while i receive a summon from court asking to come because the other party has made a report. What do i do?

  2. Girl May 26, 2011 at 11:17 am - Reply

    Thanks for the sharing.
    I had a minor accident with a motorcyclist. He fell down and had some surface injuries on hand and leg. I paid him and he had taken the money. But I didn’t draw an agreement with him to be signed. In such scenario, is the case considered settle?

    • Cikgu Yap June 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm - Reply

      The case seems settled unless the motorcyclist decides to make a police report later on.

      • Seng June 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm - Reply

        Cikgu Yap ,i also face the same incident,
        so i want to ask how if the motorcyclist suddenly make police report even though i paid him rm 100 and then settle all his medical fees ( and also make agreement by oral)?
        am i in trouble?

        • Cikgu Yap June 21, 2013 at 11:04 am - Reply

          You’ll have to face the consequences irregardless of your payment to the motorcyclist.

  3. YM September 13, 2011 at 2:10 am - Reply

    Thanks for ur sharing.
    How about if someone had hit my car but it was a minor one.
    He agreed to pay me after I repair my car but the problem now is the person disappear and did not pick up my calls.
    Can i report to police?
    And will I need to pay for the police report?
    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap September 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm - Reply

      If it’s a minor accident, forget about it. Do be careful next time. Police report normally RM2.

      • Aurora July 30, 2015 at 10:40 pm - Reply

        I had the same incident happened to me like YM. A guy knocked my car from behind until my car hood door was dented and could not be closed. He insisted that he will pay after I have repair my car in the workshop. But after that, could not be contacted. If I had get him to sign an agreement earlier to pay for the repairment. Could I use the agreement to make a police report after that if he doesn’t pay?

        I thought that you had mentioned that police report could only be made and accepted within 24 hours of the accident. But according to YH’s case, the other party made a police report a week after the accident. How could it be a valid police report then?

        • Cikgu Yap August 7, 2015 at 12:39 pm - Reply

          Police report can be made after 24 hours. Get legal redress.

    • Anonymous July 28, 2016 at 9:10 pm - Reply

      Could I know how u settle this.. I am also in a dilemma whether to file a police report or not as I am the victim.

  4. Low November 3, 2011 at 9:38 am - Reply

    Need your advice. I had a minor accident. Both parties were reversing from the parking bays, at a two-way street(one lane each), and knocking each other at the corner of our bumpers. I was reversing following the direction of the lane closes to me; whereas the other party was reversing from the opposite side and crossing into lane at my side and hit me bump to bumper corners. Who stands a better chance of being ‘right’, given both of us not seeing each other when reversing. Appreciate your input.

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm - Reply

      The incident appears to be a minor problem. Looking at things, the other party seems to be more in the wrong. He has crossed into another person’s lane while reversing.

  5. YH November 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm - Reply

    Can I draw an agreement whereby I’ll pay to repair the vehicle I knocked (minor accident) if he/she sends in to my assigned workshop within 48 hours of the date and time of accident? If he/she does not repair within that period and in that assigned workshop, I’ll not take liability for it. Is this valid? Can he/she still make police report if has signed it but did not send in for repair as per agreed? I had a case where that guy agreed verbally and took the car to my workshop to check but last minute did not want to repair, then one week later his bumper dropped and blamed it on me to repair whole thing. I insisted to pay only the amount quoted initially (that time his car still ok, minor issue per my mechanic) but of course he did not accept so reported police.

    • Cikgu Yap November 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm - Reply

      Up to the other party whether to accept your terms or otherwise. If he/she decides to make a police report and make a claim against your insurance, nothing you can do. Fact that the other party refused to accept your initial offer meant he did not agree with what was offered.

  6. kw November 18, 2011 at 8:51 am - Reply

    Hi , what is the rider without license hit my car ?
    We do make police report , but the police feel that is my mistake.

    Scenario is , i come our from the sides road , the rider “slide” my car and feel down.

    He can claim to my insurance even without license ?

    Can i claim to their insurance ?

    during the accident he is delivery for Mcd… this kind of company.

    Please advise ^-^

    • Cikgu Yap November 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm - Reply

      In any accident, police decides who is right or wrong. Whether he is entitled to insurance or not shouldn’t be your concern. You can make a claim against the other party by all means.

  7. Tiffany January 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm - Reply

    Need your advice.

    My car was knocked from behind by an Indian lady on 27/12/2011. I have made a police report. But the Indian lady did not do so. The police said they will issue a summon to her but until now, I yet received any statement stating that the third party’s fault. So, I can’t make KFK claim.

    What can I do next step? Pls advise.


    • Cikgu Yap January 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm - Reply

      Since you’ve already made a police report, there is nothing much you can do except keep your fingers crossed that the police do their work of summoning the Indian lady. However, with your police report, you can still continue to make a claim against the other party’s insurance. For this, you’ll have to get PIAM agent to assist you.

  8. ML January 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm - Reply

    First, thks for tis forum where we can seek ur advice.
    My question is:
    I was involved in a minor accident. Without getting into whose fault it is, I wud like to know if one party has aredi made a report n the other did not but has received a summon, can the file or case be dropped if the other party who filed agrees to it? If yes, how?
    Many thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap January 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm - Reply

      In normal circumstances, a summons that has been issued cannot be withdrawn even if one party agrees to its withdrawal.

  9. BK Tan January 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm - Reply

    First, thanks for this forum where we can seek your advice.
    My question is:
    I was involved in a minor accident on 18/01/2012. He drive a Honda CRV and agreed to pay me after I repair my car.I has call he to settle the case.But every time also said he is busy not free to come to my office. Then yesterday ask me to sms a/c no to him to bank in the repair cost. The problem now is the person now refused to paid and call up and say me crazy and did not pick up my calls.
    Can i report to police?
    And will I need to pay for the police report?
    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap January 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm - Reply

      The manner in which you concluded the agreement with the other was totally wrong. In future, do remember such types of agreements should not be agreed on. Yes, you can still make a police report quickly.

  10. Expat in Malaysia March 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm - Reply

    Why do you get fined for hitting another car in an accident. That makes no sense… Which law has been broken? (Is there a law against accidents?)
    In civilized countries, the police is never involved in minor accidents. It is only a matter for Insurance Companies. But then again, Malaysia is just so ridiculous!

    • Cikgu Yap April 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm - Reply

      That’s the way the law is in Malaysia. In accidents, the police here are involved.

  11. K3ntroxas April 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu Yap, one thing I don’t understand abt Malaysia law is that if a car being hit by a bike, its still the car fault (from what i heard) confused but why ??? its feel so unfair

    • Cikgu Yap April 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

      It is incorrect to say that when a car is involved in an accident with a bike, it is the car which is at fault. It depends upon the situations. A motorbike can very well be in the wrong too. The law will decide who is right or who is wrong.

  12. John June 23, 2012 at 2:37 am - Reply

    Hi, I have a question, I have a minor accident today at damansara, i kissed a car bumper which cause his back stick reflexter drop. We come to a mutual agreement that i will pay once he get the price. Later he call me and ask for 1k to change his bumper and repaint his bumper as the internal clip break. FYI it just a very light kiss and my car (kancil) no scratch at all which his is storm. after some nego, he wanted for 500 but 500 is too much for just a reflexter. So i make a police report said i know ppl car without the car number and car model of the person, The police issue me of compound for reckless cause accident, which i do not agree as the person kissed i dont have any info about him in my report. so if i choose court hearing, will i win this case since there no subject that i kissed?

    • Cikgu Yap June 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm - Reply

      If you feel you’ve been unfairly penalised, you could of course opt for a court hearing. But you’ll must take into consideration pros and cons of such a thing.

      • john June 26, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

        What is the pros and con after the hearing?

        • Cikgu Yap June 28, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

          By pros and cons, I mean going to court is always a hassle, time wasting and you may have to engage a lawyer to help you later on. Are you willing to go through all these?

  13. Luke June 29, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

    Hi, good morning.
    Thanks for providing such a forum for us to seek your advice.

    Today, i was involved in a minor accident. I was driving on a lane, which is wide enough to cater for 2 cars, therefore people tend to cut the queue. That lane will eventually narrowed down to a size of 1 car per lane. I was initially following the car in front and we’re driving just a single row on that lane. Then a Viva came squeezing next to me, on my left. And that driver was quite aggressive. After the traffic light turn green, i followed the car in front and moved forward which i need to slight turn the car to the left due to the nature of the road bend. But that Viva has bumped to the rear left part of my car at the bumper. The car flashes it’s headlight at me but i did not stop as there was a heavy traffic congestion and its at a main road. I slowly drive forward (about 300 to 400 meter) until i reach an area when i place a signal to turn to a less congested area. But that car just drive straight pass me.

    I’ve check my car and found that there are minor scratches (trade paint) and my bumper came off a little bit. And i am not sure about the other car because i could not have a clear look at the car. And i did not notice the car registration plate as well.

    I have a few questions that need your advice.

    1) Should i make a report since there is no agreement to settle the incident, without the car registration number? And i was told that the new system at the police station are not able to let you check who lodge a report against you unless you make a report first.

    2) Who is more on the right and wrong side of this incident?

    3) Will this accident considered as hit and run?

    Your advice is highly appreciated.

    • Cikgu Yap July 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm - Reply

      As the incident appear minor, I feel you should forget about it and get on with life. However, be on the look out for developments which might crop up later.

  14. Lisa July 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm - Reply

    I was involved in a minor car accident, it was partly my fault so the other party wishes to claim my insurance. However, what i want to know is if i do not wish to let the other party claim my insurance after filing a police report, will i still be able to do so?

    • Cikgu Yap July 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm - Reply

      The right to claim against your insurance belongs to the other party. Alternatively, you could opt to reimburse the party involved. Are you prepared to accept this?

  15. David July 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm - Reply

    I have recently gotten into an accident. A guy couldn’t brake in time and knocked into my car. We both know it was his fault. But the question now is..who has the right to choose the workshop? As I would like to bring my car to my own workshop which can guarantee original parts an workmanship which I trust. While he wants to take my car to his workshop which will enable him to save quite a sum. Therefore, I am skeptical over the originality of the parts. Hope you can advise who has the right to pick the workshop. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap July 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm - Reply

      To which workshop to take your car for repair is entirely up to you and the other party to decide. Settle it yourselves.

  16. Bennett yeo July 25, 2012 at 1:54 am - Reply

    Hi to all, thanks for Cikgu yap advise.
    I just want to find out what I can do. My car get banged by a drunker from behind, when I was waiting traffic light to turn green, yet is a minor accident, but it cost me to repair my car also. He refuse to pay me money cause keep saying he was pool and got nothing with drunker face, I have decide to make a police report in order to claim his car insurance. I have take a photo of hs car road tax, of course with his car number plate. I’m wondering, if case lie this is it claimable?

    • Cikgu Yap July 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm - Reply

      The only thing you can do is to make a police report and then claim the other party’s insurance. Alternatively, try to contact the other party’s insurance to settle all claims.

  17. farah August 9, 2012 at 12:51 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap I need your help i was a victim of hit and run. i was heading from Rawang to Sungai Buloh toll and the incident occurred at Sg. Buloh toll. we were queuing to pay the toll and the lorry in front of me reversed his vehicle and knocked my car even though I honked a few times. he just raised his hand and after he pays the toll the just ran off!!! in front of the toll there was a JPJ roadblock and I stopped there to seek their help but they said even if they try can catch the lorry they can only issue summon to the driver and they advised me to lodge a police report which I did. but the problem is the sergeant told me if the lorry driver didnt lodge a report within 24hrs and if JPJ has informed the company about the incident and yet they didn’t want to be responsible there is nothing much they can do and the police even said the lorry driver might blaming saying i’m the one that knocked his car.

    my question is: is there anyway i can claim their insurance?because its not my fault to begin with and im just really frustrated with this situation its like its ok to hit someone’s else vehicle and all you have to do run away because our laws cannot hurt them?

    please help. thanks

    • Cikgu Yap August 13, 2012 at 10:26 am - Reply

      What the JPJ authority told you was correct. Whatever the consequences, if you have the lorry’s registration number, you should lodge a police report. After making the police report, take the trouble to locate the insurance company of the lorry involved. It is quite a hassle. But you’ll have to persevere with it if you want to achieve results. Finally, you can claim the lorry’s insurance company for damages.

  18. farah August 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm - Reply

    The sergeant called me and he informed me that he has asked the driver to come to the station by 25.08.12 and if he did not show up he can only issue summons for not lodge the report within 24hrs. And he also mentioned it will be difficult for me to claim the lorry’s insurance as the driver didn’t show up and i dont have a photos at the scene. Is it true? but i do have witnesses will it help?

    My brother has called the lorry company which the driver don’t want to admit at first but on the next day the boss agreed to settle for only RM100++ which is so much less than the actual cost which is more than rm1k but should i take the settlement or fight all the way?

    • Cikgu Yap August 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm - Reply

      It’s up to you whether to accept the amount offered or not. If not happy, engage a lawyer to fight out the case.

  19. Wan August 14, 2012 at 12:46 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu.
    I would like to ask, what if both party agrees to settle themselves and then suddenly 1 of them decides to make a report?

    • Cikgu Yap August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm - Reply

      You have make a report too.

  20. farah August 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm - Reply

    oh ok thank you cikgu yap.

  21. disappointed driver August 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm - Reply

    On 15/8/12, a pajero knocked on my back bumper and my car bumper’s paint went off. He gave me his phone no. and asked me to give him the quote and he will pay for my repair work. I snapped his car number plate and left the scene. on 16/8/12, I asked for quotation from the paintshop nearby my office and called the pajero driver to inform the price. He promised me that he will bank in the repair cost to me on 17/8/12 before noon but never did. What can I do if it’s already over 24 hours after the incident? Can I still lodge a police report? Please advice.

    • Cikgu Yap August 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm - Reply

      Unfortunately, such things happen. Yes, you can still make a report even after 24 hours.

  22. michael August 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Thank u for creating this site up for those troubled like me.

    I was driving on a narrow residential area road this morning which has no road marking to indicate the middle of the road when suddenly a car came out from a trunk road and bang into the right hand side of the car on the drivers side which heavily damaged the door.

    the driver of the other car insisted that i was at fault for taking up the right side of that narrow road. i disputed with him that since i was driving on the main road n he was coming out of the trunk road he should have checked for traffic b4 he exited.

    both of us agreed to let the traffic police decide who is at fault but they just took our statement n told us they could only contact us sometime after the raya holidays.

    in ur opinion who do u think could be at fault here. me or the other driver? is a statement a proper police report? am i having any potential trouble ith the police?


    • Cikgu Yap August 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm - Reply

      Studying the situation carefully, it looks as if the person coming out from the side road appears wrong. I’m sure police will make an unbiased report.

  23. Kent August 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    When I was just turning out the car from a small road into the main road after waiting for a while at the small road junction, the car in front of me suddenly reversed and his car rear corner crashed into my car front bumper centre area. He knew he was wrong & apologized to me. He agreed to pay for the repair by sending to his recommended workshop. My question is can he still lodge a police report by saying the other way round that is I was wrong because I crashed into his back of his car?

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2012 at 9:58 am - Reply

      In my opinion, yours is only a minor incident. Forget about it. You can only hope for the best nothing happens. However, if you are worried, you could opt to make a police report too.

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

      He certainly could. Anyway, since he has agreed to reimburse you for the incident, wait for him to contact you. Should nothing happens, forget about it.

  24. kamilah August 29, 2012 at 9:08 pm - Reply


    I bumped into a car rear recently and both of us agreed thet there was nothing and we left. However he later claimed that he will send me the bill for the “damage”. I asked that he show me the so called damage but he did not and later said he has made a police report. What can I do? Is he harrasing me?

  25. raf September 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm - Reply

    Hello ,

    Today at 1pm i got into an accident at a round about near Jln Tun Razak . I entered from 6 o’clock and stuck to the outer left lane . I wanted to exit at 12 o’clock so I kept driving . Just as I passed the 9 o’clock exit an Innova coming from the middle lane hit my car at right rear end as he wanted to exit at the 9 o’clock turning (since I entered at 6 o’clock) . My car suffered a dent and needed to be knocked back and repainted whereas the other driver’s car front bumpur suffered quite abit more damage . We both decided to lodge a police report . I’m just here wondering who was at fault ? The other driver said I was at fault as I was on the left lane and didn’t turn in at the 9 o’clock when I clearly didn’t show any signal of wanting to turn in . I was taught that to drive on roundabouts the lane I took could be used for left turning exit or can be used to go straight and exit at a 12 o’clock exit . I just don’t know if I was really in the wrong .

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm - Reply

      Studying the situation carefully, look as if Innova at fault hitting you on the back.

  26. dev September 27, 2012 at 8:28 am - Reply

    Hi , what is the rider without license hit my car can claim my insurances( third party insurances) for minor injury (nt addmited at hospital) ?

    We do make police report , but the police feel that is my mistake.

    can claim to my insurance even without license ?

    Can i claim to their insurance ?

    • Cikgu Yap September 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm - Reply

      Let the police know about it. Also inform your insurance company too. Let them deal with it. Yes, you can claim the motorcycle insurance company regarding the accident.

  27. Mary November 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I bumped into a Toyota Rush bumper last week and did not have the chance to discuss with her. I pulled my car over to some place further ahead of the accident place but she did not follow. A week after I got to know that she filed a police report and I went to Police Traffic Dept to settle this issue. Lodged a report but the police officer recommended me to settle amicably with the lady owner. No summons issued to me for now, will the Sergeant issue me a summon later on?

    • Cikgu Yap November 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm - Reply

      You have done your duty as a driver. You cannot be expected to do more. In my opinion, you’ll have to wait for the other lady’s actions to see what she intends to do.

  28. tout November 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm - Reply

    hi cikgu yap,

    When i was almost finish turn out from the junction, there was a car behind me rush to my side and squeeze with me in the same lane. i was break to let him past, but he was purposely scratch my car before took over me, and flew away. This seems like road bully to me, so I lodged police report, but the police doesn’t seem like helping much, he even claimed that i’m the wrong side.
    Anyway, the sergeant told me, report must be made within 24 hour, so in this case, the other driver didn’t make police report, so will the police summon him?
    at the same time, will the police summon me as well?
    how can i look for the justice on this?
    can you provide me some advice?


    • Cikgu Yap November 10, 2012 at 11:44 am - Reply

      If you have already made a police report, you have already done your duty. It’s up to the police to summon him. As to whether you’ll be fined by the police or otherwise, it’s up to the police too. Should you feel dissatisfied and want justice, you can always get a lawyer to pursue the matter further. Are you ready for such hassle?

      • tout November 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm - Reply

        Hi cikgu yap,
        It’s almost 2weeks already, police didn’t give me a call, can the police ignore the case like that? what is the police procedure after we made report? Is there have certain time limit for them to settle the case?

        • Cikgu Yap November 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

          At times, there’s no follow up by police. It’s up to them to take the necessary actions. No time limit for any case to be settled.

  29. bad Lucker November 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm - Reply

    There is a car parked beside me on the roadside. So, I need to go out from my parking lot then I highlight her. She pretend to response. Then there is a car behind me go out so I follow to go as well. However, I kiss the car bumper a bit then war begins. She scolded me and I just kept quiet coz I know I m wrong. Then she also veey angry but I told her that I already signal her for my way out. To be frank, it is so minor scar on the.bumper and she still very angry. I ask her how to solbe this n she also quiet then I went off… do u think she will make a police report?

    • Cikgu Yap November 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm - Reply

      Since your incident appears to be a minor one, I feel the other party is unlikely to make a report.

  30. Lucas December 6, 2012 at 8:55 pm - Reply

    I was hit by a car from behind when she turned out from junction. She insisted that it was not her fault, so we both lodged police report. but the thing is that there is nothing in the police report (get it week after) indicate who is responsible for the accident. Since I didn’t receive any summons on the spot, so i supposed it should be that lady who get fined. I called her and she said she is busy to collect the report.

    So what should i do now? should i wait that lady to contact me to proceed or should I contact insurance agent straight away to claim 3rd party? It is just a minor scratch on my back and thought that we can settled it without going through all the hassles.

    • Cikgu Yap December 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm - Reply

      If you still intend to pursue your insurance claim, you can continue on without waiting for the other party’s particulars.

  31. Duncan January 9, 2013 at 8:49 am - Reply


    I hit the rear of a car today at a traffic light. The rear of that perrson’s car is fine with one small scratch. My car front slightly dented. We did not settle the accident ourselves and I told that if he wants to claim damages he should report to the police. What do you think will happen if I dont report? His car is really fine with one small scratch. Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap January 11, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

      Minor scratches as explained by you are nothing to worry about. Get along with life. Don’t worry too much about it.

  32. jojo January 25, 2013 at 10:53 am - Reply

    Would like to ask if my car hit the dividers (car skidded and spanned 180 degrees because of puddle of water ) and had major damage, and I’m thinking of claiming insurance, would there be any problem if my P license expired (2 year probation ended) one week before?
    After the accident during 6am, i went to JPJ to renew it at 8am and got a new license.
    Also thinking of lodging police report as advised by insurance company, will i be penalised?
    Kindly please advise.

    • Cikgu Yap January 26, 2013 at 12:56 am - Reply

      That your P has been converted to full license after the accident indicates everything seems to be all right. Go ahead and make a police report soon. Then you can claim your car’s insurance for damages which you deserve.

  33. Hoho February 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm - Reply

    This is my question
    1) is it true you need to pay rm300 for traffic report under the pretext of causing accident ? Means one party must pay for it?
    2) failure to make police report within 24 hours after another party reported, you will be summoned for gagal to make police report?


    • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm - Reply

      Usually, the one held responsible for causing the accident is normally fined. Yes, one failing to make a report can be fined for it.

  34. Philip March 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm - Reply

    When I was just turning out the car from a small road into the main road after waiting for a while at the small road junction, the car in front of me suddenly reversed and his car rear corner crashed into my car front bumper centre area. He knew he was wrong & apologized to me. He claim he did not see my car. In actual fact by law is he at fault or I am deem to be wrong?

    • Cikgu Yap March 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm - Reply

      Technically, a vehicle that suddenly reverse into you is at fault. In my opinion, you have done no wrong.

  35. Kk April 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu yap. I bang a myvi(white) and he took photo of my car plate n his back door. I promise to pay him back but after that he claim that his car need rm500 to fix everything like mudguard back door,paint and sensor. I checked the price it only cost rm250++ so I refuse to pay him full amount . Now he say he wan to report police but is after 24 hours from car accident ady. Will we get fine bcz report after 24 hours? Can he claim my insurance?

    • Cikgu Yap April 11, 2013 at 7:22 pm - Reply

      Unlikely police will fine you for reporting late. Yes, the other party can claim your car insurance.

      • kelvin March 4, 2015 at 3:49 pm - Reply

        I have the same case as you. Can I know the amount of the fine?

  36. Victim of Klang accident April 17, 2013 at 10:49 pm - Reply

    A drunk driver hit my car’s rear at high speed and refused to admit it was his fault.
    Instead, he put the blame on me because he claimed I made an illegal U-turn at double line. The fact he hit me at the rear-middle (instead of rear-right corner) proved I did not make a U-turn. However, the sergeant of Klang police station appears to be siding him in this matter (i smell strong buddy relationship there but sergeant obviously denies it).

    Question is:

    1) Am I really at fault even if they both decided their story is right?
    2) Can I claim from his insurance company even if I did file him as drink-driving in the report?
    3) What can I do to get my compensation for repair works?


    • Cikgu Yap April 23, 2013 at 10:03 pm - Reply

      The police decision is final and you have to abide by it. It’s not important if you are right or wrong. You can still claim the other party’s insurance for your damages that you sustained.

  37. Ray May 14, 2013 at 6:48 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu yap,
    Wanted to ask you, I been in a road accident whereby I was overtaking a lorry in front as my lane was merging into the right from 3 lane to 2 lane , I did put my signal indicator and i was at about 50-60km/hr before cutting. The car behind me was about 100m away the moment I started to cut out. As the person was speeding , maybe about 100km and did not slow down, she hit my car on right side of my rear . Who is in the fault in this manner? Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap May 16, 2013 at 10:29 am - Reply

      As you yourself stated you chose to overtake at a dangerous place, where three roads were merging into two. In my opinion, you have also failed to notice the speeding car behind you attempting to overtake you too. As to who is to be blamed, both parties are equally responsible.

  38. Bryan June 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have bang a car’s rear while turning out from a junction when the car suddenly has emergency stop. I came down and checked only minor 2 scratches. The man scolded me and I did not have much chance to negotiate with him then he went off telling me to lodge police report. I followed him, thinking to go to police station together but he somehow went to small lane which is obviously not to police station. I am afraid of following him then and heads back home. So, not sure if he is going to make police report. What should I do? We never exchange any phone numbers nor I remember his car plate correctly coz I was shocked by this aggressive man’s verbal attack.

    • Cikgu Yap June 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm - Reply

      As no police report was made, what you can only do is wait to see if any further developments arises.

  39. Dan June 12, 2013 at 10:32 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap.

    I had a minor accident today. Incident happened when reaching a Plaza Toll. A car behind indent to overtake me from left, suddenly the car swift right to my lane and hit my side front bumper (I noticed there is another car in front at left blocking the fella way). Both car stopped. Then the driver yelled for police lodge. After checked, both car got some paint stained at bumper without any severe damage. But the fella keeps saying for police report lodge.

    Can i go any traffic police station which is convenience for me to lodge a report just to safeguard my interest. I have no intention to make any insurance claim but the wrongful party keeps insisting for report. The purpose of making the such, i have no idea because the fella have no interest to answer my question why.

    Thanks for your kind attention and reply

    • Cikgu Yap June 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm - Reply

      You need not make a report as your accident seems very trivial one.

  40. Carl June 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I had a minor accident today in a residential area, and i would like to know who is at fault. It was at a T-junction, and i was taking a right turn into the branch road. There are clearly marked lines to show the right and left lanes of the two-way road, but there are (always) cars parked on the left hand side, blocking the whole left lane. These cars belong to one of the residents, and always park their cars in the same places.

    As i made my turn, i almost crashed into an oncoming grey Toyota. I immediately straightened my wheel, and went towards the left curb (blocking both lanes, and mostly still in front of the Toyota). We both came to an immediate stop in this position without making any contact (no accident yet).

    After a few seconds, I decided to turn my car further to allow the Toyota to pass by behind me (as only the back half of my car was blocking her path). I did not realize that she (the driver) had begun moving, thinking that she could fit behind my car. Before i could properly begin to move my car out of the way (I was still stationary), she crashed into and scratched my car as her car made its way past mine.

    After moving our cars out of the way (to not obstruct traffic), we inspected each other’s cars: the Toyota’s bumper was cracked and scratched on the driver’s side corner, while my car was damaged on the driver’s side, with a dent and scratches just before the back wheel.
    The toyota’s bumper was made of plastic and looked much worse off than my damage

    Although i was on the wrong side of the road, we both avoided contact (initially), and ultimately, it was her who ran into my car due to her bad judgement, after.

    I am still a P-licensed driver, and this has led to the Toyota driver thinking that it was due to my lack of experience, and exploiting this. She has scared me into thinking that a police report will result in me losing my license.

    Thank you for your reply

    • Cikgu Yap June 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm - Reply

      After carefully study, it is my opinion the Toyota lady was wrong crashing into your back. A minor incident will not cause you to lose your P.

  41. Lim June 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm - Reply

    today i met into an accident. i was reversing and i look at the rear mirror. i saw no car and i let go of the break(driving auto car) suddenly this old uncle driving a proton saga(old type) reverse out and i bang into him. when he came down he at first said sorry. i heard it clearly. it was so.. then he look at my car. there was a P sticker so then he was telling me in hokkien. u cannot drive like this.. u reverse must look behind. i told him i look at the rear mirror and didnt see his car. i ask him did he see my car. he scolded me and told me i have to see his car not he seeing mine. the damage was 1 little dent on his car. and 4 scratches on my viva. he told me since u P driver u pay me RM1000 and we settle. i told him what rm1000 more like rm100. so after a while he told me ok la since u student i give u discount rm500. i still rejected his offer. after that he told me ok i call my workshop friend to come and check out the price. u pay for all. he said if u dont pay ill lose my licence because P drivers are not suppose to have accident. i knew that was bullshit. So we waited for the workshop to come. the person told me u cannot drive like that. im at fault. so we settle by me paying him rm220. but i want to know whos fault is it. thanks you

    • Cikgu Yap June 28, 2013 at 3:14 pm - Reply

      Although you’re at fault, the amount you paid is slightly too high. Be more careful whilst reversing next time.

      • Lim July 14, 2013 at 2:08 pm - Reply

        If i made a police report will my licence be suspended i want to know that?

        • Cikgu Yap July 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

          I doubt your license will be suspended.

  42. Chris July 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm - Reply

    My car was hit from the back by a Myvi, back bumper badly damaged. The Myvi was actually hit by another car, the impact causes the Myvi to hit my car. The Myvi driver was a policeman. We both reported the accident together at PJ Police Station (the driver’s office). I was asked to see a Sergeant so call ‘Pegawai Penyiasat’ after making report. The Pegawai Penyiasat told me that I cannot claim 3rd party insurance because the Myvi driver is not in a wrong. She said Myvi hit my car ‘coz the other car pushes Myvi to hit me and so if we want to claim insurance both of us must claim from the car who hit the Myvi. The problem is the car ran off after hitting the Myvi, the driver only managed to copy down 3 digits of the 4 digits no. ‘coz 1 digit probably have fell off due to the accident. Is this procedure correct? From my understanding under Malaysia driving law, whoever who hit your car from the back is responsible. Please advise.

    • Cikgu Yap July 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm - Reply

      It is my opinion the policeman who crashed into you was wrong for following you too close. Claim against him irregardless of what the police report said.

      • Chris July 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm - Reply

        Thank you so much for your advise. Is it compulsory for police to provide reports ‘keputusan siasatan’ & other doc irregardless whether or not in his opinion the driver is wrong? Reason I raise this question is because after 1 week of accidently I was only given a copy of my own report & a copy of photo of my own car. Other doc are all not available, and unable to claim without the doc. I’m confuse, don’t know to continue waiting for reports or should just fork out cash to fix the car. Appreciate some advise. First accident after 25 years of driving, am quite lost!

        • Cikgu Yap July 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm - Reply

          With your police report, proceed to launch claim against the car which knocked you. Get a good workshop that’s approved by Persatuan Insurans Automobile Malaysia (PIAM). Tell them the registration number that crashed into you. Your car is covered by insurance. Let the insurance claim from the wrong party, that is the policeman. By the way, in claiming your insurance, of course you’ll lose your NCB.

  43. Kris November 30, 2013 at 7:41 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu! my car is bump into a proton saga back yesterday because the saga stopped suddenly in front as I thought he wil go straight (both of us r queuing to exit from a junction to a busy highway). Then, we stopped at the roadside to check our cars. My car’s no. plate is cracked while his car bumper got minor scratches that are barely visible. So, I apologize to him as I was the one who bumped his car although he stopped in a sudden. I thought he would not request compensation but he does. Then he say he wil check with his mechanic friend about the repair fees, then I told him he must let me know the price b4 he repairs it. We took each other hp no. and car plate no. , however, I m the oni one who took the photos of our cars’ ‘scratches’. Next day, he cal & say the total fees would b rm200++ . I told him I oni can gv him rm150 since I oni scratch him car minorly (his car bumper has a large scratch on another side of mine). He refuses my offer & say he wil lodge a police report which I agree him to do so. But I don’t any police report. Now, my main concerns are:
    1) would I be fined by police?
    2) will my insurance be claimed by him?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap December 3, 2013 at 9:40 am - Reply

      As it appears to be a small matter, unlikely the other party will make a report. I feel nothing will happen to you or your insurance.

  44. Alvin December 19, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu. My car’s side mirror were broken by a big truck last week. I did take the photo and capture the truck driver’s license. Last week, he agreed to pay me for the repair and asked me not to report. Unfortunately, he refused to pay me after I had repaired the side mirror. May I know what can I do?

    • Cikgu Yap December 25, 2013 at 5:03 pm - Reply

      Guess nothing much you can actually do. Just your bad luck.

  45. YG January 8, 2014 at 4:10 pm - Reply

    Hello, what happens if a police report is not made within 24 hours? Does that means case close? Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap January 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm - Reply

      Any accident, should ideally be reported to the police within 24 hours. No case closes in fact. When the other party make a report anytime, the case can always be reopened.

  46. Tan March 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu, it was a junction to turn into a straight and narrow shoplot road. As usual, at junction I would stop to look at for incoming car from the left. However there was a car parked out of a box, blocking view of cars trying to turn in. Hence I moved my car just enough to view whether there is any incoming car and stopped. 2nd look at the left, a black Waja passed fast and suddenly his car was too close and dragged the left side of my fenders out. The black Waja literally dragged my left side fenders till it was folding out. Once he got out of the car. He was saying I bang him and all when my car was stagnant. His wife got out and said ” Actually he saw you, but he accelarated to avoid you.” Hence, who is more right in this situation? There were no dents on his door, except for scratch from back door to the boot onward. Mine side front fender was folding out.

    • Cikgu Yap March 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm - Reply

      Discuss with the other party involved in the accident how to settle the incident amicably.

  47. Annie April 19, 2014 at 8:32 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu, I’ve involved with a fender bender with a car yesterday. we agreed to make a police report and deal it with our own (he’ll claim from his insurance and i fix mine) . Since this is my only car i have to wait for my brother in law to come and bring us to the police station. He already did his report earlier in the morning while i did mine in the evening.

    1. we make a police report and we were compound for RM 300 ( Later reduced to RM150 for appeal)
    2. The police sarjan says that we need to bring our car for photograph. He says the photo that we bring in digital copy is invalid.

    My question is , is it still necessary to bring the car to get photographed because the car is already at my home and i am not confident to bring it across the town just to get photographed.

    Many thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap April 29, 2014 at 8:59 am - Reply

      In normal circumstances, your car has to be taken to the police station to have its photograph taken.

  48. vv April 29, 2014 at 1:50 pm - Reply

    Hello. thanks for the forum. very helpful.

    I met with an accident last month where the car before me suddenly stopped for trafffic and I could not apply brake immediately and hit .. It was not a major accident and a very minor one. Also the car driver did slow down but as the accident was so small I went ahead and did not stop.

    I recently got a letter from traifk police to report for investiagation and looks like that driver had given complaint on that situation.

    There was tint in my front part which I already changed with local workshop near my place. How should I handle the situation.

    How should I proceed and what can I expect when I go there directly .

    kindly advise.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

      Any accident, no matter how trivial it may be, should be reported to the police station. The other party involved, has undoubtedly lodged a report against you. You are advised to contact the police immediately. Clarify to them why you have not made a report about it. The police, I presume, will then decide what action would be taken against you if any.

  49. Andy Yong May 1, 2014 at 8:05 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,

    I met with an accident today where the taxi bang my side (or scratch), After driving some distance i go down and check my bumper, and its just some minor scratch so i decided not do make a police report. The incident happen when the traffic light become green, the taxi driver at the first lane go straight instead of turning right which his lane is not suppose to go straight other than turning right, while my lane can be going straight or turn right. so he bang or scratched my car, and at the moment i did not go down from my car because there is no place for me to stop my car checking the damages so i assume is minor plus the taxi driver in fault.

    So what is i did not go for filing a police report since there is actually small scratch on my car and also on the taxi driver car, will i be fined?

    What if the taxi driver lodged a report saying is my fault while i did not make any police report as the scratch is just a minor one, will i be fined for not reporting within 24 hours yet he does?

    If i were fined by the police while im not the one at fault, is that possible to request a investigation from the police for this?

  50. Shannon Tay May 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,

    I met with an accident yesterday. I am confused at who is at fault. Sargeant said that both are wrong but when I told her situation again, she said both our statements slightly differ so we have to meet both parties have to met her again next week. But she said if both are reversing both are definitely wrong.

    The situation was like this. It happened at a school car park. The car in front of me always parked under the tree on my right. I let him parked his car(parallel to the road). After he has stopped, I drove my car behind his to reverse into the lot opposite the road (horizontal to the road). As my car was still stationary, suddenly I saw him starting to reverse again. I quickly honked him but he continued to do so. Hence, he knocked the right side of my mudguard. There’s a dent and a few scratches.

    At first his boss said will pay for my damages. Then he said he will pay 50%. I am not satisfied as my car wasn’t even moving. So we decided to make a report. But the sargeant said both at fault. I said he didn’t use his rear view mirror. Am I really at fault??

  51. janice June 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,

    My brother involved in an accident last year whereby, the motorcyclist accidentally bang my brother’s car bumper. Then we have make a police report and motorcyclist agree to claim his own insurance to compensate the car’s bumper repair fees. However the insurance company declined the motorcyclist claim due to the motorcyclist unable to provide a valid license and call the workshop to directly deal with motorcyclist. Bu then suddenly my brother received a letter from law firm stated that we have to bear all the costs such as repair cost, legal fees etc. Kindly advise what should i do?

    • Cikgu Yap July 4, 2014 at 11:41 am - Reply

      Consult your insurance company. Any legal action should be handled by them.

  52. Elmer July 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm - Reply

    Thank you for sharing.

    I got a minor accident 2 weeks ago. At first, there is discussion who has the problem. Then later after discussion with my friend, the other party agreed that he is the problem and he will pay (verbal only) after going to car repair shop. No police report was made. Now I’m collecting the money but he does not want to pay. Another problem is, he said he will make police report. Is this possible?

    Can I do a police report also?

    Please advise.

    • Cikgu Yap July 20, 2014 at 11:51 am - Reply

      Dear Elmer, Both parties can make police report!

  53. Jasper July 22, 2014 at 9:21 am - Reply

    Dear Cigku, Need your help. I had a minor accident in which a car kissed the lower back bumper of my car which scratched it then the driver ran away after doing it. I was able to get a glimpse of his plate number but I am not sure whether I got it right. My question is:

    1. What is the best way to handle hit and run cases like this?
    2. Is there a way I can verify the plate # that I got before reporting it to the police or can I tell them that is the # that I remember but not sure since things happened so fast?

    Thanks so much!

    • Cikgu Yap July 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm - Reply

      As you are uncertain, nothing you can do.

  54. andrew August 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm - Reply

    hi cikgu. i accidentally kiss someone’s back in a jam.. mine had fair damage and his car just has scratches and a crack number plate. he made a report. where I ignore thinking he would not do so because its a minor one. What do i do now? my road tax is expiring in 2 days time. will I be summon and how much will it cost? please advise

    • Cikgu Yap August 16, 2014 at 12:24 pm - Reply

      To date, as you have not heard anything from anyone, carry a while longer, then go ahead to renew your road tax.

  55. murthy August 22, 2014 at 8:31 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    I encountered a minor accident on tuesday morning where a chinese lady bump into my car, where it has cause a minor dent on my bonnet and scratches on my bumper. The lady is insisting me to go to her workshop in segambut to get the work done where else i live in puchong.
    it would be an hassel for me to go to her place. I’ve suggested places in puchong and PJ but she’s complaining that the cost is high. She mentioned that the total cost of painting (metalic Paint) the whole bumber and repair the dent will cost only RM150… but the places that i’ve surveyed they qouted RM 250 for painting and RM 30 for the Dent .Please advice should I make a police report.

  56. Eric September 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    First of all thanks for your advise to all the people up there.

    I met with an accident last night coming out from One Utama’s new wing exit at Central Park. I was turning right(normally the guards remove the barrier at 10pm) to BU3 when a car coming from my right did a u-turn(there is a proper u-turn further front). He could not make a full u-turn and got stuck and I banged into his back left bumper. My front right bumper was damaged. Am I still in the wrong since Malaysian law will always penalize the person who collide from the back no matter what silly things the front driver did?

    • Cikgu Yap September 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm - Reply

      Dear Eric, yes, unfortunately you are in the wrong.

  57. OC September 17, 2014 at 2:51 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu. I need your advice as I had an accident today. What happened is that I parked my car in front of a bank in puchong. When I returned completing my work from the bank I saw my car is hit and the body kit is spoiled with a dent. In this case what should I do? Do I have to make a police report? I even don’t know the person hitting my car since he ran away.

    • Cikgu Yap September 20, 2014 at 8:30 am - Reply

      Looks like you have parked in a busy area. You in reality have only yourself to blame. Bear the damage yourself. Be more careful next time.

  58. CM September 21, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Can I ask you about this accident? I am reversing into a parking lot and there is not enough space on the right so I need to drove forward before reversing again. When I try to drove forward, a car pass from the left and my left bumper hit the other car’s door. Who is at fault here? Shouldn’t the car stop and let me park 1st?

    • Cikgu Yap September 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm - Reply

      Who should let who to pass first, is a matter of opinion.

  59. Luis September 28, 2014 at 9:02 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu

    I had a situation last week where I was accused of knocking her car.
    I deny it. I gave my card to her so that she could check with her husband.
    Her husband called and ask for compensation.

    I told them I am not responsible and ignoring their call. No photos and proof of accident.

    now I received a call from police station. What should I do?

    • Cikgu Yap October 3, 2014 at 9:21 pm - Reply

      Up to you whether you want to entertain police call or not.

  60. Ee October 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm - Reply

    Hi teacher Yap,

    My incident was when i was driving on my left lane trying to go to right lane, then this car was driving fast also from left lane (my back) to right lane too cause she came down from the slope. So she hits my right back bumper and damages her left front bumper and car cover. Mine just dented a little bit. Who is at fault?

  61. Edd October 30, 2014 at 3:35 am - Reply

    2-days ago, my car had an accident.
    My P license going to be expired in 19-June-2015.
    As I drove on the middle lane, a driver of bulldozer suddenly take over to the middle lane (which i believed it was his blindspot). I was just next to the bulldozer (not even until to its center) as I drove at normal speed. As he suddenly took over from the left to middle lane, I immediately slowed down hoping is not sudden brake. Then a motorcyclist did not had enough time to stop to avoid my car. It banged into my car and he flung on the road. He had sustained injuries. Since the bulldozer also didn’t stop and continued his journey on the highway, I don’t have prove to show to police that accident caused by bulldozer. Furthermore, I forgot to use honk. I know I will be receiving RM300 summon. But due to the motorcyclist injury, I might be receiving another RM300 of penalty. Will my P licence be revoked due to this?

    • Cikgu Yap October 31, 2014 at 7:50 pm - Reply

      Dear Edd, have you taken necessary steps like signalling, moving slowly to right and observing blind spots, etc before making your move?

  62. Edd October 30, 2014 at 3:49 am - Reply

    2-days ago, my car had an accident.
    My P license going to be expired in 19-June-2015.
    As I drove on the middle lane within normal speed, a driver of bulldozer suddenly took over from the left (which i believed it was his blindspot). I was just next to the bulldozer (not even until to its center) . I immediately slowed down hoping is not sudden brake. Then a motorcyclist did not had enough time to stop to avoid my car. It knocked into my car and he flung on the road. He had sustained injuries. Since the bulldozer also didn’t stop his vehicle. But he continued his journey on the highway. I don’t have the proof to show to police that accident was caused by the bulldozer. As situation happened too fast. Furthermore, I forgot to use honk. I know I will be receiving RM300 summon. But due to the motorcyclist injury, I might be receiving another RM300 of penalty. I’m not sure. However, I have mentioned in Police Report that the reason I stopped is due to sudden takeover by bulldozer. I don’t have the plate number for that vehicle as proof. Will my P licence be revoked due to this?

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:29 pm - Reply

      Dear Edd, As you already made a police report, let them make the decision as what to do! Revoking a P licence is a difficult process!

  63. Isaac Loy October 30, 2014 at 11:24 pm - Reply

    I need to know about something. I know its my fault but what will happen if you bang a person but drive off and didn’t event go down and talk to the person..what will happen?

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm - Reply

      Dear Isaac, Hit and run and not reporting an accident is an offence!

  64. Annabelle Wo November 2, 2014 at 3:29 pm - Reply

    Hi.I would like to ask some questions.First,my car accident was on 20/10/14 and I did lodge a police report within 24 hours.When can I get the accident report?And I am still not calling my insurer.Any consequences if I do not call them or call them late? Thank you for answering my questions.

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm - Reply

      Dear Annabelle, Police report available immediately when you leave police station. Best you inform your insurers immediately for your own good!

  65. Sham November 6, 2014 at 6:20 am - Reply

    I met an minor accident when i was trying change my lane from right to left with the left indicatol somewhere around pantai dalam at 7.35pm, suddenly one car came very fast from back and crashed on my car left head light area. but when stopped and asked the driver. the pregnant driver asked me to make a police report and she wanted to make a move. no police at the scene. i sympathized her because she is pregnant but what should i do now? if i make a police report, will i get summon? please advice.

    • Cikgu Yap November 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm - Reply

      Dear Sham, if no one is injured, and you are not making any claims against the other party, best is you forget about it. When making a police report BOTH parties are liable to be fined!

  66. may November 8, 2014 at 1:34 am - Reply

    I met an minor accident 7 hrs ago, my niece drive my car. We drove until a T junction it’s jump, the car in front was stop, We also stop. suddenly the car reverse , we horn but its late. She drove her company’s car, after discuss her boss, their want us send our car to their’s company’s workshop. Now, I afraid that they don’t want to pay after if too expensive. Should I make report our self to claim their insurance if they regret.

    • Cikgu Yap November 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm - Reply

      Firstly, make a police report immediately. Don’t worry about anything else. Make a claim against the party that knocked you.

  67. Solo December 2, 2014 at 11:39 pm - Reply

    I met an accident recently. The Motorcyclist hit the back of my car while I was reversing and he got injured from it. I immediately sent him to the hospital after the bystander asked me to do so and wasn’t quite sure whose fault it was. After that, his friends asked me to bring him to do X-Ray because his elbow was swollen. I paid for the RM90 X-Ray fee for him. There were dent and paint off on my bummer and my exhaust pipe was dislocated. At first, He wanted me settle within ourselves to pay for the medical fee and the motorcycle repairing money which came up around RM370. But I’m a student so I can’t afford to pay him that much amount of money so in the end we decided to report to the police. I was fined with RM300 summon. I want to ask whether should I pay him compensation fee because he was injured even after I reported to the police?
    However, I think it’s unfair that I was fined with summon and he was the one who hit the back of my car. And his friend even demanded me to pay him that much of money at first without reporting.

    • Cikgu Yap December 5, 2014 at 10:46 am - Reply

      In my opinion, a person performing reversing procedures and cause an accident will be regarded as being in the wrong. That the police fined you RM300 is evident that I’m correct. Whether you must still pay compensation money or not, all depends on you entirely.

  68. Ed December 4, 2014 at 10:56 pm - Reply

    I am an expat living in KL for 5 years and driving here for almost the same time and just yesterday i met with a minor accident in which the motorbike hit the back of my car while i was driving.

    During the incident bystanders (locals) are saying that if we go to make a police report both of us will have to pay summon which amounts to MYR 200- 300 which i find it ridiculous as i did not bump the motorbike rider and he just came out of nowhere and hit my car at the back.

    Luckily, the motorbike rider was not injured and he agreed to pay for the repair of my car (hopefully he will show up once the car is repaired).

    My question is in these simple case scenario if i insist for both of us to make a report do we really need to pay for that much for summon and if yes why? if not, how much really is to lodge a report? (pls note that i never had a road accident before)

    and in the event he does not show up once the car is repaired how should i go about this?

    Hoping for your expert advice and for your time replying my enquiry…

    thanks in advance

    • Cikgu Yap December 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm - Reply

      Dear Ed, Both parties to be summoned, RM300 each. Hopefully, the other part shows up. Or you could engage a lawyer to take legal action!

      • Ed December 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm - Reply

        Dear Cikgu Yap,

        Thank you for your inputs, fortunately he did showed up, and he said he will pay the cost of the repair.

        Merry X’mas & Happy new Year!!!!

        Best Regards

  69. Yap December 16, 2014 at 12:53 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Today i’ve a minor accident whereby, a proton car (not sure is wira / perdana) hit my car from behind, my car have some scratch and the boot door is difficult to lock (need to push very hard to close -i realise this only when i reach office) and tough is only some minor scratch, and the opposite party also refuse to settle and compensate me as he said that my car only got minor scratch, no point for me to claim the insurance and most importanly his attitude, he never apologis for his faulty. My question is, should i make a police report so that police can summon him? and where shall i make the police report (accident is at Jalan Hujan Tmn OUG KL). Hope to receive your reply soon.

    • Cikgu Yap December 19, 2014 at 11:00 am - Reply

      Since you yourself said the incident was a small matter, do not make any police report. I suggest you forget all about it. Be careful next time.

  70. VOG December 31, 2014 at 10:50 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap
    We had an accident today. Our car was hit by another car at the left side rear wheel. We were on the left side of the two lanes road. We were turning left and before we can fully turned (the back of our car was still on the main road) we were hit very hard on the passenger rear wheel that end up pushing our car further into the road we were turning in. The other car was damaged on the driver front side and scratch on the passenger from the curb on the left side of the road. The driver were stop on the left side after the accident. We suspect the driver lost control of her car ie driving too fast and followed us too near. When she realized that we were turning she tried to brake and her car skidded. When we went to report to the police station, we were blamed for the accident. The other driver claimed that we were on the right lane and cut in front of her to turn left hence she couldn’t stop in time which is untrue. When we went to the police station to make the report, there were a lot of guys trying to get business for claiming from insurance and repairs. This guy has also approached me but I ignore them. The investigation officer showed me the sketcher made by the other driver which I explained as above which is untrue. We went downstairs to get our photo taken and show to the officer how the accident happened. These insurance or claimed advisers approach us when the officer talked about our case and kept insisting it was our fault. The officer laughed at our explanation and disappeared. These “advisers” told me that our car would be hold at JPJ pending investigations and we would be charged because we were guilty. They asked us to let them repair our car because the other driver agreed to do so and we would not be fined. I told this people that we will not admit we were guilty because it is not our fault. There was another officer there when we talked. We went back to talk to the investigation officer and this time his attitude changed and he told us that if we wanted to see his superior then we can do so but he was not in. We have to wait until Monday. My husband were driving at the time of the accident and he was a British and we just return back to Malaysia for 3 months only so do not know the rules in Malaysia as it change regularly. I felt we were being victimsed because these “claim advisers” and the driver telling lies and the officer believe them. What should I do. Your advise on the above is appreciated.

    • Cikgu Yap January 4, 2015 at 10:02 pm - Reply

      Do not listen to anyone not involved with the accident. Make a police report and you are advised not to be intimidated. A copy of police report can be obtained for only RM2. Get a copy of it. Most important, do not offer to make any settlement. And remember, inform your car insurance company as soon as possible! If you still feel you have been unfairly treated, get a lawyer to assist you!

  71. Alex January 2, 2015 at 4:02 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I had a minor accident on 31/12/2014. It was a queue to exit from the shopping mall’s parking bay. I don’t know there was exit of the parking lots because there was no sign. My right side is to get down to the basement, and i reserve a little bit to tried to get down the basement and yet i suddenly bump on his front bumper. And i choose to replace him a new bumper without the paint. If he unsatisfied of my offer can he make a police report

    • Cikgu Yap January 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

      You have made a good offer!

  72. Raphael January 6, 2015 at 12:08 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    Excellent site here.

    Few months ago my car parked in front of my house (outside of my gate) was hit by Lorry (neighbor a few streets away) and he broke my rear lamps (repair costs rm800) The driver agreed to buy the lamps and fix for us. After months of looking for the lamps he decided to stop receiving calls from me. I have eye witness (another neighbor) and his namecard. The lamps have not been fix.

    Your advise is highly appreciated. Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap January 6, 2015 at 10:18 pm - Reply

      As quite some time has elapsed since the incident happened, you should now use diplomacy to get the other person to settle your repairs. And hope for the best.

  73. Pancake January 6, 2015 at 7:26 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    Great to read all your professional advice over here,
    I would like to seek your advice.
    I have a old kancil would like to sell to a my friend colleague.
    But he did not have lum sum cash on hand. So he suggest to pay me via installment for every months (RM500 x 12). My colleague told me he is look reliable. Anyhow I am still trying to avoid unforseenable trouble on myself.
    May I know what is the suggested best arrangement to handle the transaction?
    1) To transfer the car until the full payment has been received and cover an agreement that all the risk (summon and repair) to the buyer.
    My concern is the penalty and accident may be hapern during the period which cause me in trouble if the buyer do not want to pay. But I have a friend advice me that if he refuse to pay, I can get back my car and use his first installment to clear the penalty. If he continue to carry the same problem on this, I can get back the car or else report the car as loss car. Thus, there is no risk for me…em.. but i still curious.

    2) To transfer first and writen a simple agreement that he own the money.
    This is conpletely clear my previous concern. If he do not return the payment to be, I will just go thought the legal action to get back my money with the agreement. em.. but i guess the lawyer fee is more expensive than my i right?

    Both is not really a good idea. But if to chooce between this two, which is the best option in compare with another?

    Do you have any better suggestion on this?

    Thanks a lot and hear from you soon.

    • Cikgu Yap January 8, 2015 at 9:51 am - Reply

      The 2 suggestions of yours both don’t seem very viable. I do not wish to discourage you. The best alternative is to keep your Kancil. Ask your buyer to save up his money first before buying your car.

  74. Bj January 11, 2015 at 8:08 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Very good information! Really helpful!

    Would like to check with you my case in which I was hit by a car and the driver of the car who hit me is unfortunately a road bully so basically after he hit my car I went down to talk to him about it but when he went down he started screaming and spinning the story that I hit his car and asking me for a fight and threatening me that he is someone with a lot of connections. It seems like he does not want to admit mistake so I still just made a police report yesterday. I would like to ask what usually happens for cases in which you got hit and the person who hit you do not want to admit + threatened you. I am thinking I will not get anything since he does not want to even talk peacefully about the minor incident. Thank you!

    • Cikgu Yap January 14, 2015 at 8:59 am - Reply

      Make police report. Let police decide.

    • Cikgu Yap January 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm - Reply

      It’s sad yet true, all sorts of people make up this world. If you have the other bully’s car, make a police report. Should your car be damaged in any way, you can make a claim against his insurance!

  75. Damien January 16, 2015 at 12:09 am - Reply

    I found your forum very informative but i was confused by one of your replies. If both parties in an accident makes a police report, will both be fined regardless of whose mistake it was? I thought only the guilty party will be fined? Thanks again.

    • Cikgu Yap January 18, 2015 at 4:26 pm - Reply

      The police reserves right to fine whichever party they feel ‘wrong’. At one time, they even landed up fining both, to eliminate too many police reports being made!

  76. TF January 23, 2015 at 10:22 pm - Reply

    Hi would like to know what should I do.

    Someone knock my right rear tyre when he was cutting to the lane I was using. I assume he did not see my car and just cut into my lane. My car is fine as I am driving a four wheel drive. Do I need to be worried that he makes a police report because we did not talk on how to solve it, we just walk away after the accident. What should I do?

    • Cikgu Yap January 26, 2015 at 5:33 pm - Reply

      All accidents should rightfully be reported. In your case, it is solely up to you.

  77. Michelle February 7, 2015 at 4:28 pm - Reply

    This website has been very valuable. I had a minor car accident today. I was on a side road that had a number of parked cars on the left. I put my indicator and went to turn left around the corner, as I did the car at the front decided to start moving and crashed into the back of my car (about halfway down my back door). Clearly I was already part way around the corner, but he is claiming that I crashed into him. I was shocked, as it was my first accident so I wasn’t thinking clearly. We swapped numbers, I took photos of the damage to both cars, but we did not swap any other information. At the time, he had made me believe it was my fault. Now that I have actually thought about it and replayed what happend in my head, I believe that he was the one at fault. I haven’t done a police report as yet, because we decided to settle. I did say to him that was parked and should have waited for me to pass. Do you think I should make a police report? Both cars have minor damage, I’m willing to say that we both should cover our own, but I think he will insist that I pay. What is your advice?

    • Cikgu Yap February 9, 2015 at 11:14 am - Reply

      Yes, make a police report immediately.

  78. Lim February 11, 2015 at 5:55 pm - Reply

    I just hit someone on the back and causes the driver to hit the car on his front. Do I have to pay for the damage i done on the back or both back and front?

    • Cikgu Yap February 12, 2015 at 10:47 am - Reply

      Pay only the car that you hit.

  79. marcus February 11, 2015 at 9:25 pm - Reply

    Basically I was coming out towards the right from a turning at the Hospital Pantai Klang. An aunty driving a honda getz saw me turning and stopped her car. As soon as she stopped her car, a motocyclist came out from behind her, overtook her and collided into my car and hers. Both our cars are dented due to his negligence and after some negotiations he agreed to pay me rm100 and the aunty rm200. we agreed that he would pay by 9pm today and he said alright but an hour before I called him, he said that he talked to the police and he said that I was in the wrong because i came out and he ran into me. he was obviously on my side of the lane as it was a 2 way road and i think that he is trying to scare me into not reporting.
    What do you think who is in the wrong?

    • Cikgu Yap February 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm - Reply

      Make police report. Then, make insurance claims.

  80. Stephanie February 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm - Reply

    I got hit by someone yesterday and I did not ask for his IC or licence as I trusted him.. And now I only have his phone number and I could not managed to reach him.. What should I do now? Can I make a report based on his phone number?

    • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2015 at 2:16 pm - Reply

      You have acted illogically. Forget the case.

  81. Richard February 16, 2015 at 12:51 am - Reply

    Yesterday i hit someone car and the guy want to report, but that is not my car and the insurance don’t have my name. Can that guy claim the car insurance if i go to report with him?

    • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm - Reply

      Dear Richard, It is not necessary the insurance be in your name or the owner. The other person can still make a claim against the car you drove.

  82. Cheryl February 18, 2015 at 1:37 pm - Reply

    Yesterday, I hit someone’s car while going into a round-a-bout. I overestimated the distance between our cars and hit the rear side of his car. His car has a few minor scratches, but my front bumper is broken on the side.

    When both of us got out of our cars, he immediately said to report to police, but I didn’t want to because it is such a minor accident and not worth wasting the time to go to the police station and lodge a report. So I told him don’t report, and I’ll cover for the repair of the scratches. We exchanged phone numbers and he took a photo of my driver’s license, and he said he will get back to me with the price of the repairs.

    What if he suddenly decides to make a police report and I don’t? When I got home, my brain was so muddled up that I forgot his car-plate number. I was in such a panic that I didn’t even take notice of the make and model of his car. So I can’t even make a report.

    Will I be fined for not making a report?

    • Cikgu Yap March 1, 2015 at 10:57 pm - Reply

      You know nothing about the car you hit. How to make a police report?

  83. Karen February 26, 2015 at 10:06 am - Reply

    I have involved in the minor accident and have make the police report.

    The accident happened when i overtake car using opposite direction lane. A Car was coming out from a junction and bang my car from the side. He insist me being commit mistake. I knew i have against the traffic rules overtake when double line. but in fact he did bang my car from the side. When he come out from junction i notice him and horn and make him aware but next second his just bang into my car.

    In this case, i want to know who is wrong?

    • Cikgu Yap March 1, 2015 at 10:56 pm - Reply

      You overtook at a dangerous spot. I feel you are to be held responsible!

  84. Salmy March 3, 2015 at 5:50 pm - Reply

    I have accidentally knocked a motorcycle and he fall down. But because of my nervous, I just keep going and run away. I know that it’s my fault. I want to know what should I do right now? And what punishment I have to face?

    • Cikgu Yap March 5, 2015 at 10:58 pm - Reply

      Make police report!

  85. sarah March 4, 2015 at 2:22 pm - Reply

    I have bang to a BMW last Friday. then, we discussed to be settled by paying back the repair fees. There was no any police report. But yesterday, she called me and said need RM1.8k for the repair, I called her come to my workshop as I can get some discount. But she refused to do so. At the end, we both agree to report police and claim insurance. Shall I lie to the police with unreal date since I want to claim from insurance?

  86. emily March 7, 2015 at 3:17 am - Reply

    hi cikgu need ur advice … we were waiting at a traffic light at a t junction and my car and the first car in front of me is waiting to turn right . once the light turned green while we were turning right , the car in front of mine braked suddenly and I knocked his car at his back …. can u pls tell me whose fault is this? thanks

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:21 pm - Reply

      You are responsible. You are deemed to be unable to control your vehicle. Also, you were following behind at an unsafe distance.

  87. loh March 8, 2015 at 9:10 am - Reply

    hi cikgu.. need your advice. yesterday I stop behind a bus at a bus stop as it was dropping and picking up passengers. suddenly a motorbike hit my right bumper. lights and bumper damage. The rider fell and roll over to the middle of the road. his knee was injured. He refuse to lodge police report or give me his ic to lodge report. He even refuse medical aid. I think he has no licence. a friend of his came and both refuse to give me any All I got is a picture of his bike. do I have to make a police report as I understand that we cannot claim against the motorcycle insurance. my only worry is that his injury get worse and he decide to make a police report as he may have taken my car particulars. waiting for your advice. Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:25 pm - Reply

      My advice is, go make a police report.

  88. Pd March 10, 2015 at 3:10 am - Reply

    During a morning traffic jam on the Federal Highway towards PJ after the Taman Desa exit, I knocked a Prius with my MyVi from behind. At the time, I got down acknowledged my mistake. we both took pictures (mine ended up being no so good so later the lady sent me the pics she took) and at the point of inspection there was only damage apparent to the number plate which was slightly crooked. This was something she described as well when she sent me her pic. That weekend she said she was too busy to fix (as in was during CNY, I was like….Ok) Then the following week, I told her whatever it is I want it fixed and settled then suddenly it was mentioned a small bump on bumper (I was like, can’t see bump on picture and you didn’t mention it last week), the person she was too busy and had a conference to attend this week but will move to fix it this week. I told her before u fix etc, I want a price quote and let’s choose a mutually agreeable location to fix.

    My friend told me I should don’t layan her already because it’s been more than 2 weeks and she has made no fixes. She said more than 48 hours, considered nothing left to do…….cikgu what do you advice me to do? Truly I felt it was a minor accident which was why I didn’t want to bother with reports. Suggestions please…..

    Just to clarify the above, the lady mentioned that she had conference on March week 1 weekend, and would fix in week 2 of march. Since the accident she has mentioned in her message to me that she travelled during the first weekend after the accident. Since last Wednesday, no updates from her to my msg asking her to settle fast to avoid mis-understandings. She said I call you only if got amount to pay or repaint needed….I am not saying she is a bad person or anything like that……it’s just that she is not being very coorperative. Appreciate she is busy at the same time, leaving things like this is stressful……

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:26 pm - Reply

      Up to you what you want to do and bear the consequences.

  89. sharshini March 10, 2015 at 6:59 pm - Reply

    Yesterday just before I turned right at the traffic lights, a motorcyclist was trying to start his vehicle and moved to the right, which I then hit very lightly. He got angry and kicked my car tyre. But I just said sorry and kept driving as I was holding the traffic. He was not injured. It was a very minor hit. I Dont think there were even any scratches on his bike as there wasn’t any on mine. Can you please advise if I need to lodge a police report? Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm - Reply

      Always better to report all accidents to be safe.

  90. El March 12, 2015 at 8:10 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I was involved in an accident but we only reported after 24 hours because we wanted to try to settle at first. Hence, the police only issued a Rule 10 compound but he said that insurance company might not let the other driver claim. I was at fault but I am not claiming because mine is a third party insurance. First, is this true? Second, in the event that he can’t claim, can he still ask from me?

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:20 pm - Reply

      Normally, no matter under whatever rule or section you are charged, insurance companies has to be responsible for claims made. You are therefore advised to make a police report as you rightly did and inform your insurance company about the accident.

  91. Julias April 21, 2015 at 10:39 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, can I know what is the punishment of hit and run?

    • Cikgu Yap April 23, 2015 at 8:27 pm - Reply

      If investigation is carried out and you are found to be responsible, the authorities can take action against you.

  92. Adac June 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    Thank you so much for sharing so much logical and informative responses. My question was a bit awkward but it’s best to share since times are really bad.

    There was one weekend I decided not to drive and followed by colleague’s car to work. What happened next was very unreal – as we were slowing down into a small lane, suddenly there was a lady pedestrian got snatched by some motorcyclist thieves and she fell onto the road! My friend panicked and hit hard upon the brakes and the car managed to stop just about and inch left to touching her. Thankfully she was only slightly scratched and bruised but not major bleeding or anything. We even offered to take her to the police and hospital but she assured us that she was okay and proceeded to the nearest row of shophouses.

    Let’s just say due to that incident our car failed to stop on time and we hit the snatched victim, how should we report this incident and occurence to the police?

    • Cikgu Yap June 5, 2015 at 1:48 pm - Reply

      Report to the police as it happened.

  93. lili June 8, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

    I’m not sure whether it’s even an accident or not. I was at traffic light stop as it was still red light. I stepped on my brake while waiting until it felt like there’s a bump or I felt the car jerked to the front. I stepped out to have a look at the back of my car and see no scratches nor any dent. Then I went back into the car. And I drive forward a little and the car behind me was moving so near to me and again I felt another bump to my car and my car jerked a bit to the front. And I can see the car behind me is driving really really near leaving no space. And I continue to move forward a little bit when there’s space. And again the car behind me moved so near to me and again I felt the third bump as my car again jerked to the front despite I’m stepping on my brake! I did write down the car’s number behind me and when the traffic light turned green, I moved but the other car didn’t move. Anyway, I had to turned into some shoplots area where I can properly parked my car and come down to inspect my car. Again I do not see any damage to my car. I’m not sure whether the car behind me before was being a road bully or something. Is this something that I should report to police? Else what should I do?

    • Cikgu Yap June 12, 2015 at 8:34 pm - Reply

      As nothing serious happened, forget about it. Be more careful next time.

  94. Hariharan Subramaniam June 13, 2015 at 1:50 am - Reply

    Hi, I was in an accident this morning on persiran kewajipan. I was fast on the 1st lane and one driver came out of a junction after usj19 mall and shot straight for the 1st lane from the 3rd lane…..I honked and slammed on by brakes but then this fellow stopped midway between the 1st and 2nd lane.. As a result of this, I smashed into his right rear corner to my left front corner. Now here is the tricky part we both moved our cars after the accident to the far left. No pictures was taken of the actual crash. I took his ic licence and number plate pics but forgot to snap his roadtax. He only snapped my number plate and asked for nothing more. I got his phone number as well. The accident happened at 8.45 am and I made a report at 7 pm same day. Sergeant informed me that this man still has not reported. I called him and he said the car did not belong to him, and that he has an arrest warrant on his name and that he will not make police report. He want to call me to his mechanic and get my car fixed for me. I checked his ic number on myeg pdrm, I he has a few summons for no roadtax insurance and also fake registration number. But all those were for several months there cars numbers. And not the car involved this morning. What should I do? What are my options?

    • Cikgu Yap June 15, 2015 at 11:10 am - Reply

      You seem to have met someone who does not follow laws. Forget the incident. Be careful next time.

  95. Zarina June 15, 2015 at 3:00 pm - Reply

    Please help!!

    My daughter drove our kancil this morning which has no insurance and road tax and bumped into a Peugot. At first we decided to settle on the side because we were thinking it would be $1000 or so. To our surprise, after the driver took his car to the dealer shop, the charge came out to be $10 000!!

    I know my daughter is faulty for driving the car without insurance and road tax, but if we lodge a police report, would the damage be over $10 000?.

    Could you please advice? Also the guy said we will settle this in court and he will claim his “salary damage” on us since he used the car for work and can’t use it until the car is repaired.

    Thank you so much in advanced. The accident happened this morning.

    • Cikgu Yap June 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm - Reply

      Try getting Peugeot owner to claim his insurance. Or be prepared to face legal proceedings. Do not drive without valid road tax and insurance.

  96. ling June 16, 2015 at 9:10 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu
    My friend hit a car have minor accident. He decided to responsible by repair back the car to her. But the driver was so troublesome insist to use his own repair centre instead of my fren recomended workshop. Shld he go report? He cannot close deal with her. Any advise

    • Cikgu Yap June 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm - Reply

      Report to police. Claim insurance.

  97. Kemmy July 10, 2015 at 11:59 pm - Reply

    I involved with a minor crash with a proton wira. I was at the exit from smart tunnel toward AMPANG. During that time is very traffic jam..and the exit lane is wide enough for some Crazzy driver to potong queu. So this wira is trying to overtake me from my right hand side. Because I ignore to let him pass, his car slightly touch with my car. The driver is very rude…keep on pointing at me and scolding me. I din stop my car… Try my best to escape from him.

    Because I too panic so forget to note down his car plate no. What should I do.. Can I make report without the car no. Can the stupid driver lodge report said I hit and run

    • Cikgu Yap July 15, 2015 at 9:04 pm - Reply

      Yes, police report can be made. Let police know model and colour of the car. It is not hit and run case.

  98. ERIC July 12, 2015 at 3:30 pm - Reply

    i hit a car this morning.I was at the right lane and he was at my left.
    He signal to turn right so i slowed down for him to entered the lane i am in,so he could turn.
    But he continued driving on his lane.Then suddenly he turned and i knock his side of the car(minor).
    Am i wrong?

    • Cikgu Yap July 15, 2015 at 9:06 pm - Reply

      You slowed down to let him into your lane. Why didn’t you allow him to turn? In my opinion, you seem unable to drive rather well. Definitely, you were wrong.

  99. Darren July 14, 2015 at 6:57 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu, my friend(still P) this morning while turning into a parking lot clipped the front bumper of a old saga taxi. As it is the old version, the car had virtually no difference. My friends car however was badly damaged in the rear left door. My friend went to talk to the uncle but the only thing the uncle said was if we were alright. We asked him if he and his car were okay and he said everything was fine as nothing was damaged. The taxi didn’t take any pictures or anything and just left with a passenger he got. We try to contact the taxi driver after that to ask him out for some coffee or to buy him lunch but he doesn’t pick up the phone. My question here is whether or not we should report this incident or not? Because the door is a small matter but we are afraid the uncle might report us to be mean. (Sorry but sometimes people can be really mean we’re not sure)

    • Mr.Soo July 24, 2015 at 2:59 pm - Reply

      First of all thanks you Cikgu Yap,
      I facing a minor accident at 16july2015 morning. I just drive on the correct road line. The another car parking on my left side suddenly come out and hit on my front and back door. So, I come out from my car and ask the driver how to do. He just ayooyoo and say I from KL to JB but find dobby at here. Then I give him two option that is 1)report to traffic or 2)settle both party. He choice settle between us.
      I then call the mechanic to know how much it cost to repair my car. And the driver say he no time and want to back to JB and he just give me his IC and OKU card and with his handphone no. and I just take photo and the car condition. After he left the mechanic just came and look on my car just say about RM480 to repair. So,on the sport I call him and let him know the cost. The the person say just give him my account no. so he can put the in it on next day afternoon. Then I just follow what he say give him my account no.
      On next day that time I check my account he still no bank in. Then I call him and he already block my call.
      On third day I go to traffic and let him know that this kind of case. The traffic officer ask me that malay or Chinese. I just say is indian man OKU. The officer say difficult like this and just pray for the god?? Next time he say have any accident just come to meet him.
      Then I go to police station to make report regarding he lie to me. Then I also say to the officer the situation. After completed she do the report and make a call to the main police station. The police say to me that this case need refer to traffic too.
      Then I say just cancel the report and the police request my IC and phone no. Then I ask the police why, she say afraid I go to find him???? I blur.
      Just share this kind of case to your all. Just do report to traffic is a good choice.

      • Cikgu Yap August 7, 2015 at 12:37 pm - Reply

        Report police and let them do the rest.

  100. Foong August 31, 2015 at 6:54 am - Reply

    First of all thanks cikgu Yap.
    I met an accident back in June. A motorcycle come out from the truck road from the right and hit my car on the right, dented the car a bit and punctured my front right tyre. I made a police report after that but not claim any insurance since the damage cost still manageable.

    2 months after the accident, I received a letter from the motor cyclist appointed lawyer firm and want me to provide my personal details, insurance details and police report details. What is that really mean? Should I just ignore it or provide all the details to them or ask them refer to the traffic police department should they have any inquiry?

    • Cikgu Yap September 2, 2015 at 10:01 am - Reply

      You are not obligated to provide them any details. Ignore the letter.

  101. Winnie September 3, 2015 at 12:01 am - Reply

    Good day!
    I received a letter from the local traffic police of “arahan menghadiri penyiasatan polis – sek 111 KAJ”. It stated that the police is investigating an accident by a complaint (pengaduan) involving a vehicle (a bicycle).
    I did not aware of any accident happen with the so-called vehicle at the stated date and time.
    I was driving alone at that time that no one can be a witness to prove that no accident had happened.
    Will the police just listen to the story of the “pengadu”? How to prove my innocent?
    Could you advise about the letter what is the best action.

    • Cikgu Yap September 8, 2015 at 8:54 pm - Reply

      Abide with the police directive. Go see the police. Let them make the investigation. If you are innocent, don’t worry. No charges will be made against you.

  102. ben September 7, 2015 at 12:42 pm - Reply

    If i had a minor bump (my fault) we agreed to settle amicably but now i can’t contact the other driver so i’m going to file a report (within 1 day of accident) incase he does the same… If the other driver does not make a report will i still be fined?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2015 at 3:51 pm - Reply

      If you make a report, the possibility of you being fined exists irregardless whether the other party makes a report or otherwise.

  103. alex dong September 18, 2015 at 7:14 am - Reply

    Hi, I met with a minor accident. I intended to lodge a police report yet the other party who hitted my car from behind wanted to settle it without going to the police station. I was at the traffic light, when it turned green, there was a car from the left (2nd lane) without reducing its speed intended to make a right turn. The driver hitted my car and ran away.
    I couldn’t recall the car plate number but only remember the colour and model. I then braked and the car from behind hitted my car, bumper spoiled.
    After the accident, I then checked my driving license and came to realization it has expired.
    should I lodge a police report and if I do so, will I be able to claim from the insurance of the car owner hitted from behind. pls advice.
    also, what should I do with the damage done by the hit and run driver to the front of my car?

    • Cikgu Yap October 7, 2015 at 9:07 am - Reply

      Your expired license will make things difficult for you as you make a claim for damage from insurance. Only thing is to repair your car at your own expense.

  104. george November 16, 2015 at 12:11 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,
    would like to seek for your advice.i was hit by a car at a t-junction trafic light which mine is green and his is red.we are on opposite direction and he is trying to tuen to my right hand side.he hit my car back passenger door.i have make a police report but he did not make any report as for already almost 3 weeks.may i know,if he did not make any police report,can i claim his insurance?is there anything i can do?i believe he is afraid because during that time he is drunk but i did not report he is drunk.

  105. KHALID AHMED FAKHRUDDIN January 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm - Reply

    Dear Sir,
    Today morning I had a minor accident which damage my rear bumper , tail light and boot can not close properly , i dont know it is minor or major. the incidence happen as below
    On 6th of January 2016, at Junction of Jalan Kampung Pandan (Major Road) / Jalan Wirawati 6, (near PETRONAS gas station on my right and a school on left) around 9.25 morning, I was travelling on jalan wirawati in Toyota Vios (car Number (WXP 9265) and wanted to take right turn on Jalan Kampung pandan to go to my office in great eastern mall. The traffic on both side of Jalan kampong pandan was high and I need to wait for clearing the running traffic on main road with indicator light on. Once I all clear, I start to move but suddenly a bike rider rush to cross in front of me, hence I need to apply brake so that the bike rider can pass. Mean while a car # WET 8211 – Black Proton at my bake stop for a while and then suddenly hit my car from back very hard and damage rear bumper, tail light and boot. Since it was morning traffic time, we move to nearby bus station and stop for discussion.

    After getting out of the car, the other person sees me as foreigner, started using abusive language and becoming violent and do not willing to go police station and seeking huge money for repair. Or perhaps he is trying to take advantage of my inability of speaking Bahasa Malaysia. Fortunately at that time I was able to keep calm and mange to convince him to be calm too and follow me to ATM for a settlement of RM100 which he accept and followed me to my office in Great Eastern mall at Jalan Ampnag. Mean while I called my secretary for help and prepare for necessary procedure, and ask her to see me at lobby to effectively communicate with this person.
    At the accident location, he was so aggressive that I did not have a look on my rear bumper and did not realize that it was damage considerably. Frankly I was concern with his violent behavior and do not want something worst situation to happen. We realize the damage of my car only after reaching Great eastern mall, than I ask him to follow me to police station which he refused citing that he do not have proper insurance. He offer to get repaired my car at his friends workshop which I did not accept and insist to pay in cash. He started playing poor fellow and cannot pay immediately hence request to give one to two week time. I have accepted his excused with good faith, take picture of his car and his photo, his IC. As proof and let him go with promise to come back and pay in two weeks time.

    I don’t know if I did legally correct thing or not. Now my concern is that shall I still need to report the incidence, even if I do not intend to claim insurance,
    What if I want to claim insurance of the cost is more than RM 1000 than can I report afer 24 hr condition laps, and how it is going to impact on me.

    Another issue is this car is under my brother name with my name as additional driver, is the procedure is different under this condition.
    Thanks and regard s
    Khalid Ahmed

  106. Lav January 26, 2016 at 1:04 pm - Reply

    What if in the situation, where I knocked the car from the back, most definitely my fault and we settled it. I gave him my phone number and my ic number but completely forgot to take his details. If he does make a report, how would I be notified?

    • Cikgu Yap January 29, 2016 at 5:34 pm - Reply

      If the other party makes a police report, you will be deemed to have committed an offense.

  107. ml February 20, 2016 at 12:40 am - Reply

    Hi CIkgu
    I just met an accident
    It was heavy rain and super jam. I was at middle lane. I signal to change Lane to left to slowest Lane. I got the yeild and drove in slowly. As traffic is super heavy and I drove in slowly and stop before my car was fully in. The car hit my back on left side. My car left side damage quite badly. Her car right side only got very little dent. I managed to took her car photo. I came down but she did not want to talk and drove away. I follow her since it was super heavy traffic but she did not stop. Since I know she did not want to settle I filed police report. The part surprise me is officer told me it was my fault. He said according to Malaysia law, change lane and got hit by side was my fault. I am totally shocked and can you please advise what can I do now?

  108. Angie Siew April 4, 2016 at 1:55 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I was at the toll plaza smart tag lane. This toyota car came from left side, all the way to my lane and he almost knocked my car. In order to avoid him, I swerved to the right and knocked a cone. The driver drove off. It was all recorded in my dashcam. I went to make a police report and the police said I can claim his insurance but that guy needs to make a police report first. My question is if the guy doesnt make a police report, I cant claim his insurance? How can we find info regarding a car driver if I only have his car plate no.? Thanks and appreciate if you can advise. Thanks!

  109. Hinz Then April 14, 2016 at 11:57 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    I just met a minor accident
    When I driving my home and want to cut lane from left to right, I give signal and drive out slowly when there is a gap for me to do so. However, the car from the right lane has suddenly speed up not to let me cut. It was too late when I realize him as he already hit my car door. He insist that I hit his car and we agreed to go police station let the police decide who is wrong. The officer told me no matter how also is my wrong coz I want to cut to the other lane even if he bang my back door but the report stated there “tidak dapat kawal kenderaan”. Can you advise whether I should go appeal for this? I think it is unfair that he din even ask and just said I am wrong. Thanks

  110. Bethuel Selvin Raj May 1, 2016 at 2:30 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, just an inquiry, i got into an accident today where a car bumped me from behind. His car has a considerable amount of damage as his hood is totally smashed in. And cannot start the car. Whereas my car is fine except for a dent in the boot because of the impact. When i went to do police report, i found out that my licence has expired two months back. So the police advised me to get it renewed first before placing the report. The thing is, its the 1st of May and its Labour’s Day. So most of the government sector will be closed. Which includes Post Office, JPJ, and also UTC. And i have to place the report within 24 hours of the accident. And the quickest i will be able to renew my licence is by Wednesday. What do i do now?? How do i rectify this issue?

  111. Curious driver May 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    Recently I knocked a white MyVi. I was scared and I drove off. After reaching home, I assessed the damage done to my car.
    There were only tiny spots of paint scratch gone which is not obvious at all unless looked very carefully and closely.
    So I am also assuming the White MyVi has only a few tiny spots of scratches based on the damage of my car.

    I have a few questions :
    1)So should I make a police report?
    2)Based on your experience, do you think the driver of the white MyVi make a police report? I am asking this because I assume the damage to his car is very minimal(maybe just a few tiny spots of scratches)

    Hope to hear your reply!

  112. Izwan May 14, 2016 at 9:39 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have a question. I accidentally bumped a car at a traffic light. My plate no broke and he had a tiny scratch on his car. I even texted him asking for pics of his car to check for repairs, he said its just a small dent.

    He insist on making a police report because he said its a government’s car so its procedure. He is requesting for my IC. I told him i am willing to fix the car, just pass me the bill. I did not give him my ic.

    Im not sure if he has my car plate number. Can police still summon me if he make report under the car number?

  113. LILY June 1, 2016 at 11:31 am - Reply

    1st case
    Involved in an accident with public transport. Taxi banged my car from behind and we already made the police report. Confirmed taxi’s fault. The problem is how should I claim 3rd party insurance since the 3rd party is public transport. I went to my car service center and be told that only can claim own insurance unless take to outside workshop but not all workshop will do that. Is there any other way to claim 3rd party insurance without affecting my NCD. – Police report confirmed taxi’s fault

    2nd case
    This car accident involved lorry. The police report also confirm lorry’s fault as there was cctv. The car is 6years and above so there will be 20% – 25% betterment imposed unless repair at outside workshop. It is actually quite serious. If repair outside will not able to get original part. Is there any other ways to claim the 3rd party insurance in full amount or claim full loss of damage?

  114. Ahi July 15, 2016 at 10:15 am - Reply

    Dear cikgu,

    Is there any law that protect the taxi driver in malaysia when involved on accidents?

  115. Omar August 23, 2016 at 8:27 am - Reply

    I am non-malay, with no license. I had a problem with a Malay guy, I hit his car since June early at that spot we settled the case by giving the guy RM500 but no agreement signed. now just of recent the guy I collected the car from came to me saying the guy hit went to police and took a police report as (hit and run) and the issue is now in court and before we settle this case I need to pay RM4k.
    What do u see about this issue?
    Am seriously doubting d case because first I already settle the guy on the sport ,second this issue is over one month now and d car owner never said anything until now and why up to 4000RM?.

    • Cikgu Yap November 1, 2016 at 10:54 am - Reply

      Looks like you have no choice but to face the music.

  116. Janice November 25, 2016 at 3:35 pm - Reply

    Hi, I got into an accident last night & lost my driving license during then, I filed a police report on the accident. I get my license renewed today morning only to found out that my license was actually expired for a few days. Will this affect the claiming on my ncb?

  117. Caroline December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm - Reply

    We were hit by someone from back. The driver leave contact for settlement the next day but end up did not picking phone or replying message the next day. We made police report the next day (within 24 hours) then only the driver called back saying willing to pay for settlement and asked us to drop the police report. Can we drop police report? What is your advice to us? Thanks!

    • Cikgu Yap February 17, 2017 at 9:25 pm - Reply

      Police report made cannot be canceled.

  118. Yen March 19, 2017 at 2:47 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    Last 2 days, my car was crush into minor accident by Tour bus. During that time, there are quite jammed and all the car stand still, in sudden, the tour bus put signal and hits into right side of my car and cause dented at right side front guard/fender and some scratches at right wheel rim. The Tour bus claim that he din see my car due to blind spot. I took all the driver and bus details and made police report right after the accident.
    After I made polis report, the driver called me and approach me to settle the case by pay for the repair cost. After assessed by mechanic, I inform him the cost but he refuse to pay the amount. Thus, I am planning to claim for 3rd party insurance.
    In this case is the tour bus driver in guilty? I heard 3rd party claim from bus is very complicated?
    Need your advise how to go about on this kind of claim.
    Thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 11:23 am - Reply

      Your problem require the services of a lawyer. Your contention is accurate.

  119. Gary Wong April 4, 2017 at 8:50 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap. Thanks for your generous sharing. It’s very helpful.
    By the way, I really need your professional advise for my situation here.
    I’ve accidentally banged onto a motorcycle last week on 26th March. There’re minor damages on her motorcycle & injury on her toes. I’ve brought her to clinic for medication, X-Ray & treatment. I’ve also paid to repair for her motorcycle’s damages & a small amount of cash as compensation. And I thought everything was solved & settled here.
    But I reaceived her text early this morning claiming that she has made a police report in order to claim for her SOCSO and she requested me to go make a police report too.
    So in this case, I have to also report the incident? And I’ll receive a summon penalized for 300? And how about the SOCSO claim? Will it claim from my car insurance & affect my NCD?
    Is there any other better solutions? Please advise.

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 11:10 am - Reply

      No choice of you want to help her. You may be fined RM300 too. Your NCD will be affected too.

  120. Key July 16, 2017 at 10:57 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu, last day when i drive my car going home i hit a pedestrian i am still P license. The situation is when the traffic light turns green all car start moving and after around 10sec i go with another car with almost same speed around 40km/h speed and suddenly i heard a brake sound i step my brake slowly and a boy run out(he eating ice cream and trying to cross the road with his friends)infront my car and i cant made to stop my car so my car hit the boy after i hit the boy i saw the car beside me emergency stopped beside me and infront of the car have around 5 teenagers,the car go away after the accident.There are no any zebra crossing on the road i had accident but near by the traffic light it had zebra crossing. After that we done the police report and also the boy injured not that bad. Now waiting for the boy recovery and go to do the police report who’s faults is it? but i am still a P license is it all will become my faults? Will my license be gantung or somthings? If gantung how long can i get my license back?

  121. Ayeen September 27, 2017 at 5:10 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    Yesterday, i was dropping my mother to a grocery store near a one way road. so i was double parking for a while on the parking area in front of the grocery store. i was in the car with my little brother sitting behind me. The road is still very wide since i can double park my car. (a lot of people do during that time) then without a notice my little brother ( 10 years old) open his door and suddenly a motorcyclist came and knock our door and hit a car that was on the road. The car that was on the road was not moving due to a traffic jam. The cyclist however do not have any document in Malaysia (Mykad/License). But he did ask for compensation because his motorcycle do broke a little. And the car that was hit by the Motor also ask for compensation. The car only have slight scratch that needs to be knock and repaint. Who is at fault on this one, and how can I resolve this. Thanks!!

    • Cikgu Yap October 28, 2017 at 9:08 am - Reply

      Up to you to accept or reject the accident you were involved in.

Leave A Comment