Seeing a Malay boy at the institute one day, I inquired if this was his first attempt at the motorcycle test.

He replied this was actually his third attempt.

The boy appeared down hearted.

He lacked confidence.

In fact, angry. He said if he were to fail again this time, he would go to the authorities to complain.

Having some time to spare that day, I engaged the boy in a conversation.

According to him, he had done whatever was needed.

He did everything he had been asked to do. Yet, he failed to get his B2 motorcycle license.

He felt unfairly penalised.

After some 25-30 year experience in the driving school field, I feel capable enough to offer some advice.

The following are some of my advise to students who are planning to apply for a motorcycle license in Malaysia.

1) Ride steadily

First, one should be able to ride a motorcycle steadily.

Testers, who are most well trained and experienced can spot a wobbly and unsteady rider when they see one.

Therefore, learn to handle the machine well.

You have to ride confidently and well.

Therein lies the key to success.

2) Safety helmet

Helmets worn should have no more than 2 fingers leeway between the helmet and your face.

As such, learn to tie your straps correctly.

3) Get good at round abouts

Among the many obstructions and maneuver confronting the candidate is circling the 2 round abouts.

Ideally, put the machine into 2nd gear. Make the necessary revolutions needed.

Ensure however, that you maintain the left side of the roundabout.

Avoid riding in the center. A left hand ride is suggested.

4) Get good at crossing the bridge

After the roundabout, one approaches the 2nd maneuver, crossing the 7-8 meter long so called “bridge”.

Some instructor advise that you ride along with the momentum gained thus far, using 2nd gear.

Others feel you should stop first, enter first gear, then proceed up the bridge.

Either choice is yours.

Only remember though, the crossing of the bridge should take at least 7 SECONDS.

5) Get good at zig zag

The third section of zig-zag among the various cones is not much problem.

6) Get good at braking

After finishing the cone test, next, stop at a line, getting ready for the hand brake and foot brake.

Most fail this section, forgetting the application of the hand brake.

DO NOT leave the hand brake after stopping.

Hold on to it tight until your tester finished observing you.

Get the idea? Good.

After finishing this section, you go on to the second section, which tests your hand signals and bike control ability.

Completing your initial checkings of the headlights, signals, horn, brake tails and so forth, ensure both your mechanical hand signals are on and most importantly that yours manual hand signals are on to, before moving off.

The important thing to remember is this. BOTH mechanical hand and your manual hand signals have to be applied simultaneously.

This is the key to success.

Do remember manual hand signals are to be applied CONFIDENTLY and the bike to be ridden steadily and well.

The test ends with a “slow-down” hand signal maneuver.

After stopping, disembark from the bike. Put the bike on “double stand”.

Using a one stand parking would entail the candidate a one or two point deduction. Remember, maintain a left hand side ride all the way to the finishing line.

Most people think the route/road used for the motorcycle test which is about 5 feet wide, permits the candidate to ride in the MIDDLE section of the road.

This isn’t the case. The moment the tester sees you using the middle portion of the road, you’ve had it.

This is my observation anyway. After years in this field, I think I should know what I am talking about.

By the way, the Malay boy mentioned earlier surprisingly passed the third time around. You should see him smiling and me – I felt tremendously wonderful.

No threats to the authorities and untoward incidents were necessary.

Only the above tips.

So, best of luck.

By | 2017-12-22T13:04:03+08:00 April 16th, 2009|Motorcycle Test|33 Comments

About the Author:


  1. jun June 12, 2009 at 1:59 am - Reply

    good post bro!

  2. JasonLEL November 1, 2009 at 11:32 pm - Reply

    One quesition, for the e-braking do we have to apply the hand and foot brake at the same time or any sequence manner? I was wondering of the front brake is more efficient, will it cause the rider to “fly” to the front during braking?

    • admin November 2, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

      Dear JasonLEL,

      You must be referring to motorcycle braking during emergency. In emergency situations, the rider should apply both hand brakes and foot brakes simultaneously!

      Doing the above, the motorcycle will then stop in a straight line. Meaning it does not skid! In BM, this is called “kenderaan itu tidak buang” colloquially.

      Please note, during practical exams, applying only 1 brake alone, will result you failing.

      You have to apply both brakes at the same time, and you are advised to hold on to your hand brakes for a few seconds, to allow the tester to view you applying the hand brake.

      You may have asked one question, Jason, but in reality, I have answered not one, but 5 – 6 as you can see.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  3. Zahraa November 16, 2009 at 8:51 am - Reply

    I am at Nottingham University Campus , Semenyih.

    I am an international student and i would like to get a motorcycle driving license

    Would you please provide me with the details i need to get it ??

    • admin November 17, 2009 at 8:38 pm - Reply

      Dear Zahraa,

      With your passport, you can get a Malaysian driving license.

      Attend the K.P.P. course first. Then seek an “L” license.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  4. kino mosaki December 13, 2009 at 9:43 am - Reply


    Can I ask if I am a singaporean and I don’t really know malay language but I know English and Chinese and I am 16 this year can I get a B2 license in malaysia somehow?


    • admin December 15, 2009 at 9:07 pm - Reply

      Dear kino mosaki,

      Undang-undang test can be in English. At 16, you can get the B2 license.

      ‘Cikgu Yap

  5. ian March 4, 2010 at 10:23 am - Reply

    dear sir,

    if i have a driving license already and now want to get a b2 license do i need to go for the K.P.P course?

    thank you


    • Cikgu Yap March 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm - Reply

      A driving license exempts you from attending the K.P.P. course and the Highway Code too. Attend the 6 Hour Theory. Then take out your “L”.

  6. mike April 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm - Reply

    can i ask i seem like inconsistent when take the bridge and hope u can give me some advice
    and i seriously no confident this time
    im in my 30++

    • Cikgu Yap April 15, 2010 at 12:13 am - Reply

      I suggest riding around the institute prior to going into the obstacle course. Maybe doing so might increase your confidence handling the bike on the bridge.

  7. Roger April 19, 2010 at 11:56 am - Reply

    I have a car driving licence but am now staying in Vietnam, I plan to go back to Malaysia and do my motobike test. How long will it take and should I take all the test since I have been driving a car for over 20 years, I do have a motobike in Vietnam but have yet driven it on the road here.

    • Cikgu Yap April 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm - Reply

      Before answering other question, please state the origin on your car license.

      • Roger April 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm - Reply

        My car license is from Sabah, Malaysia. I am only in Vietnam for 2 years and will be bringing my motobike back to Malaysia. Hence, the need to have a Malaysian motobike license.

        • Cikgu Yap April 21, 2010 at 12:03 am - Reply

          With Malaysian license, you are exempted from Highway Code test. To do B2, attend the 6 hour theory to get certificate JPJ L2B. With the certificate, take out your “L” license.

          Learn your motorcycle at any institute. Control price for motor (B2) is RM201. Driving schools are allowed to charge reasonable service fee.

          Before test by J.P.J., you have to undergo pra-ujian. Any driving school can provide you the help you need.

  8. martin October 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm - Reply

    i live in penang. work in HK. i am British and only have an L license. I’m 36 with many years experience riding motorbikes and looking to get a ER-6n at the end of the year. how do i go about obtaining a Malay license with the appropriate boxes ticked to ride a 600cc MB?

    thanks in advance,


    • Cikgu Yap October 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm - Reply

      To get a Malaysian motorcycle license to ride a 600 cc bike, you have to take a B Full license. Do get a driving school to assist you if possible.

  9. Vince April 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap,

    Good article.

    May I ask if it is possible to pass a B2 test using a scooter? Does everyone need to be tested on a manual transmission bike?

    Thanks and best regards,

    • Cikgu Yap April 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm - Reply

      Most institutes use motorcycles. I have not heard of any institute using scooters. The answer to your question is therefore, No.

  10. Vongola July 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr. Yap

    During the initial checkings, should I put the bike on double stand?
    And what are the parts that I have to check?
    I already forgot these things because I didn’t take out my L license since last year

    Please help and thank you

    Vongola the tenth

    • Cikgu Yap July 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm - Reply

      For B2 use double stand. For B Full, one stand stance.

  11. shirylyne August 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm - Reply

    How to do JPJ motorcycle test on part ‘Menunggang di selekoh tajam’?
    Please explain in detail Cikgu Yap.

    • Cikgu Yap August 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm - Reply

      In a motorcycle circuit during a motorcycle test, selekoh tajam are normally 90 degree turns. When performing such corners, ensure that you do the following things:
      i) Use correct gear to negotiate the acute corners.
      ii) Ride steadily as you negotiate your corners.
      iii) Ensure that you ride on the left hand side of the circuit.
      iv) Prior to doing your sharp turn, proper hand signals should be made.

  12. LukasM October 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr.Yap,
    To attend and fulfill the B license Driving Courses, do I need to have my own bike or are bikes provided? In the case that I have to have my own bike, am I allowed to drive on the road to and from the driving school without having obtained my license yet?

    Thank You.

    • Cikgu Yap October 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm - Reply

      To do B Full at institute, no need to have your own bike. Institutes provide the bike. If you have own bike, yes, you can ride it if you’ve an L license. Don’t forget to affix L in front and at the back.

  13. Tejas March 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

    Hello Mr. Yap,

    I am from India and I am working here in Malaysia. I have a Car and Motorcycle Driving License from in India which I got in Feb 2011. To drive a Motorcycle(250cc) here in KL, do I need to give a test or can I get a License directly? If so, which license would I get and how long would it be valid?

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2012 at 9:36 am - Reply

      See JPJ to inquire if Indian license can be converted to Malaysian license. If you have to test for a 250 cc motorcycle license, get a class B2 bike license.

  14. Anoyny Mouse May 28, 2012 at 9:05 pm - Reply

    i just had my practice today and was provided with deficient bike. Here’s my question, will they provide only sufficient bike during the test? And, let say if i am provided with a rather old and poorly working bike and the signal lights is no longer working, do i have to act as if the lights is working perfectly fine and do the initial checkings normally? As for the emergency brakes section, one is require to reach minimum speed of 25 km/h before braking completely, will i get demerit for looking at the speedometer while i carry out this task? can i bring my own bike for the P license test?

    • Cikgu Yap May 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm - Reply

      Whatever condition of your bike, check all parts carefully. Regarding speed during emergency, I feel you have been misinformed about the speed required. Please check with your instructor. No, you are not allowed to bring your own bike.

  15. Lukas December 2, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

    Great post by the way.

    Does 16 yrs old still apply now for B2? I think I remember hearing rumours that everyone after 1996 has to be 18 now?

    Thanks in advance,

    • Cikgu Yap December 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm - Reply

      B2 still same at 16.

  16. jon March 30, 2013 at 1:41 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap- March 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm
    A driving license exempts you from attending the K.P.P. course and the Highway Code too. Attend the 6 Hour Theory. Then take out your ā€œLā€.

    Hi Cikgu Yap. I already have Lesen D and as you mentioned, we need to take 6 hours Theory Class. Is there any pre-test or test by JPJ we need to undergo? I am new to motorcycles so basically my experience is nearly nil but I’m competent enough driving manual transmission cars. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap April 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

      No pretest when attending 6 hour theory class. Don’t worry, I’m sure institute personnel are capable of providing you the training you need.

Leave A Comment