Obtaining The Category E (Trailer) License

Category “E” – The Trailer Driving License

Although more than 30 over years in the driving school industry, there is one thing which I have never managed to achieve, which it o get a Class E (Trailer) license. The reason for this is that, the institute where I’m attached to, being on average size one, does not cater for such big licenses.

As such, this article will predominantly focus on requirements and qualifications needed from one to secure the E (trailer) license. What are the requirements are we referring about? Namely, they are:
i) possess the E lorry license.

ii) for this license, attending the 6 Hours Theory course is necessary.

iii) after obtaining the JPJ L2B, the one takes out a new “L” (Probationary Drivers’ License) license.

If you possess any difficulty at all, do seek your instructor or institute nearby for help. They will most probably be of assistance to you. Especially pertaining to items (i) to (iii).

Larger institutes as mentioned earlier (those over 7 acres or more) should cater for your desire to obtain the Lorry (trailer) E class license.

Test requirements (like parking and slop etc) is best left to the instructors of institutes to deal with. Road tests and other requirements are also best left to institutes to manage.

When you have passed the practical test for this license, you have to obviously add this class of license to your existing license. The next step will be to ensure your G.D.L. (Goods Drivers’ License) commensurates with your new license – that is the License E (Trailer) category before you begin to drive.

Seek your instructor or institute nearby for assistance where necessary.

By | 2012-09-22T11:53:33+08:00 June 7th, 2009|Trailer License|8 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Billy January 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm - Reply

    I’m thinking of buying a 13 foot boat which comes with a trailer. I also plan to use the trailer to carry other items e.g. motorbike, ATV or other large items that would not fit into the car.

    Do I need to get this license also? I heard I need to get a license for the trailer also? Is that true? What do license do I require. Would appreciate your advice.


    • Cikgu Yap January 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm - Reply

      I suggest you see RIMV to get the correct forms required. If not mistaken, the trailer should also undergo the authorities’ inspection too.

  2. Choon August 25, 2012 at 7:48 am - Reply

    Hi, I am residing in Singapore and currently have a Singapore a car license, but I do come back Malaysia pretty often. Btw I am a Malaysian. There are times that I need to drive a commercial vehicle (a 5tonne lorry) in Malaysia. My Malaysian driver license has been converted to the Singapore license. I would like to take the class E license but since my MY license has been converted, is there anyway I can still take a class E license?

    Plus advise. Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap August 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm - Reply

      With Singaporean license, you can apply for a E lorry license. Attend the 6 hour theory class. With L license, you can proceed with lorry learning classes.

      • CH August 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm - Reply

        Thank you very much Cikgu Yap. I ll approach one of the driving schools here to start it off. Thanks again.

  3. CH September 1, 2012 at 12:34 am - Reply

    I went to the Driving School and JPJ and they told me that it is not possible to obtain a Class E (lorry) license, unless I reconvert it back to the Malaysia’s license. So, it is a problem now. If I reconvert back to M’sian license, I cant drive in SG.

    Are there any other options?

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2012 at 9:56 am - Reply

      Sorry to hear you’ll have to convert your Singapore license into Malaysian license before taking up E license. That’s the rules.

  4. MB July 31, 2018 at 4:16 pm - Reply

    I am a European holding a European license C and E, Malaysian equivalents are D and E. I also have a Malaysian license, but only D. I would like to register and drive a 10t motorhome. I understand I can only register a vehicle that size under a company, but no permit is required as the vehicle will not be transporting any goods (eg like a tow truck). I am guessing that therefor also do not need a GDL.Do I need to get a Malaysian E license and is that possible as foreigner and if not is driving using the international license legal?

Leave A Comment