Besides instructing new students the art of driving, a driving instructor also does a few other things as well.

I have been imparting the knowledge of driving to students for over 41 years now. However, besides driving, people also seek my assistance for a few other things as well.

For instance, there are some who seek my help for renewing road tax and insurance too. And yet, there are those who request my assistance for transferring ownership of vehicles.

For those who may not be aware, the above requires the vehicle mentioned above first of all undergo an inspection exercise by the Puspakom authorities.

Without the inspection certificate B5, no transfer can be done! Many people, including friends and relative approach me to do a few of the abovementioned items such as changing road tax, buying insurance coverage and inspection of vehicles.

There are also those who contact me because they have to secure a duplicate copy of their “P” license or Passed license (CDL) which they have inadvertently lost.

Recently, a neighbor of mine came to seek my help. It appears Mr. Singh, who works for Tenaga Nasional in Klang had a problem.

His daughter, who is currently attending classes at Inti College, recently lost her driving license.

To get Mr. Singh’s daughter her duplicate driving license, I had first of all, to locate a runner friend, Bala, to assist me.

You see, Bala has been in this line for years now and he is rather competent with regards to costs and all the requirements needed to secure a duplicate license.

Basically, a person who has lost his or her driving license cannot drive temporarily.

If however, a person finds that he or she has no alternative but to drive, as a seasoned instructor, I would suggest one way out of this predicament.

A person who has lost his or her driving license, be it a CDL or “P”, a police report has to be made. With a police report, which costs only RM2 a copy, a motorist can this be permitted to drive for the time being.

A police report permits a motorist to drive for a reasonable length of time, say one to two weeks.

This allows you, in the meantime, to attempt getting a duplicate license out.

At times, when you meet with law enforcement officers, such as the police or even the JPJ, some can be rather intimidating.

I would like to advise that a motorist should stand his or her ground proving that he or she knows his or her rights and the prevailing laws as well.

It this happens, I believe you will then probably not be confronted with any problem at all.

For those who have lost their driving license and find there is no necessity to drive for the time being, JPJ rules and regulations does not require a police report to be made.

A person can either engage a driving school instructor or runner to facilitate a duplicate driving license be obtained from any branch office of the JPJ.

What are the things required to get your duplicate license out, you may well ask?

The things you’ll need will be amongst other things are:

i) Your MyKad.

ii) Colour photograph (license size).

iii) A copy of either a TNB or Telekom bill, if you intend to change your latest address.

iv) A RM20 fine will be imposed on all driving license lost.

If however your driving license is about to expire soon, you can very well opt for it to be renewed for a few more years.

This will eliminate the problem of having to renew your license in the near future.

If a person who has lost his or her driving license is quite free or is able to get a day off from work, they are advised to visit one of the many JPJ offices to get the duplicate license out themselves.

Service at the branch offices of JPJ nowadays is rather fast.

You should not encounter any problem at all. I’m sure you’ll be able to get your license out within less than half an hour at the most.

By | 2017-10-18T13:08:59+08:00 January 13th, 2011|Driving License|93 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Ed Chew January 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

    Thank you! You have been most helpful. I’m off to JPJ to get my duplicate DL tomorrow!

    • Mary Hii October 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm - Reply

      Thank YOU so much for your information

  2. Luke May 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm - Reply

    But wouldn’t it be advisable to make a police report just in case some fella found it and decided to use it for some mischievous wrong doings? Like from the time it was lost till we make a new or replacement driving license or police report…. Or it doesn’t matter since when we get a replacement one, it will be recorded in the system?

  3. CY Kok October 3, 2011 at 9:26 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap and dear frens,

    May i ask, i recently lost both of my CDL(no photo) and PDL(with photo), i will get a driving school instructor to help me to duplicate a new driving license, so shall i duplicate both CDL and PDL, or just CDL(with photo?) will do?

    • Cikgu Yap October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm - Reply

      Your CDL (without photo) has to be attached to your original license (with photo). Best alternative is to get a new CDL from any JPJ office. PDL is not needed anymore.

  4. Ven December 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap

    Ive recently lost my driving licence and am planning to get new one from JPJ. however, ive recently converted citizenship to be a Singaporean. Do you foresee any difficulties in me re-obtaining my licence?

    APpreciate your thoughts

    • Cikgu Yap December 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm - Reply

      Your might have to rectify the number of your identification card of your Singapore document should it differ in your original driving license.

  5. CL December 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm - Reply

    Hi mr Yap,

    What if i lost my PDL (with photo) I’d no idea where I dropped it at all. But that PDL already expired and i just renewed a CDL. So, am i still need to get a new piece of PDL from any branch of JPJ for future renew purpose?

    • Cikgu Yap December 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm - Reply

      The PDL is no longer necessary. Forget it. Just drive with your CDL and don’t lose it.

  6. Kimiko January 8, 2012 at 4:19 am - Reply

    Thank you for your informative post :)
    I lost my PDL… :(
    You said that PDL is no longer necessary, but the CDL state need to be with driving license. So mean I still have to get replacement of the PDL?

    • Cikgu Yap January 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm - Reply

      PDL no longer needed. As you have your CDL license, you can continue to drive.

  7. Max January 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm - Reply

    Hello… I’ve lost my CDL, but I still have my renewal slip with me. The renewal will expire in 2015. On the slip it says “Slip to be Produced with Driving License.”

    In this case, do I have to duplicate the license?

    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap January 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm - Reply

      Get a duplicate for your original license which has a photo.

  8. Charlie April 5, 2012 at 11:34 am - Reply

    I still have the License (without photo) which expired in 2017. But I have lost the master License (with photo). What must i do?

    • Cikgu Yap April 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm - Reply

      Get a duplicate copy of your license from JPJ quickly.

  9. Ng JY April 16, 2012 at 10:57 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap, my friend who is based overseas lost his wallet including his Malaysian driving license. He is asking if I can obtain a driving license replacement on his behalf. Can I do that in JPJ ?

    Please advise.

    • Cikgu Yap April 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm - Reply

      If you have a colour photo and photostat IC of your friend, you could make n attempt to secure a duplicate copy. However, it all depends on JPJ.

    • EG April 21, 2012 at 7:53 pm - Reply

      Hi Ng JY,

      Did you manage to obtain a duplicate license on behalf of your friend?

      I’m facing a similar problem here, and planning to ask my mother to get a duplicate on behalf of me.

  10. Phoebe Chee April 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm - Reply

    I lost my driving license. And i have read your comment that i not need to make any reports. Is that mean i merely need to go to any JPJ to have replacement done?

    • Cikgu Yap April 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm - Reply

      No police report required. Just go to any JPJ office to get your duplicate license.

  11. Edmund June 10, 2012 at 10:17 am - Reply

    Hi Yap,

    I have recently lost my IC as well as driving license is gone too..I knowi have to get the IC done first before proceeding to the license is due to expried by this coming do i need to apply for a new one or report for the lost of drving license? Which way would take a faster processing time? Please advice..


    • Cikgu Yap June 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm - Reply

      To get duplicate license, no need to make police report. Go straight to JPJ.

      • Edmund June 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

        thx for the i still need to get my IC done first right b4 heading to JPJ? or i can go straight to JPJ they have my history there by giving them my name and IC number ( i cant remember my driving license number). finally shud i go to JPJ to get a dupicated one ir just directly renew a new one since mine expired this coming December..thx

        • Cikgu Yap June 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm - Reply

          Make IC first before going to JPJ.

      • Sharn June 13, 2012 at 2:59 am - Reply

        i too have just lost my wallet along with my IC, credit cards, ATM and driving license. So i made a police report in case my IC gets abused… Just like Edmund here, i am wondering, whether i can get a duplicate copy by merely mentioning my IC number or do i have to get my temporary IC from JPN first…?


        • Cikgu Yap June 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm - Reply

          Ideally get temporary IC first.

      • jason June 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm - Reply

        today i go to jpj already,u guys just need to bring your original temporary ic, original polis report and your color photograph(license size) give it to them, than they will ask you want to renew how many becuz that i lost my license, i will nid to pay rm20 for lost and i renew 2 year cost me rm75…that all just spend 20 minute to wait u will get your new license:)

  12. jason June 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm - Reply

    cikgu yap i lost my ic and P license and i alredy go polis station to report,the problem is my document ic list out that my P license already expire in 26/12/2011 so is that i need to apply back my P license or just straight go to cdl,and my ic havnt done yet,what document i need to apply back my license….

    • Cikgu Yap June 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm - Reply

      Doesn’t matter. In my opinion, first you’ll have take out duplicate P. Then only take out your CDL. Might cost some money though. But, that’s the procedure.

  13. ZL June 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm - Reply

    Hi, I’ve saw quite a few comments on this issue.

    I’ve lost my IC and P license when I’m in Australia. My P license has expired on 31st MAY 2012. So, I’m going back to malaysia soon. Will I need to get a new P license to change it to CDL license?


    • Cikgu Yap June 22, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

      Get new duplicate P before getting CDL.

  14. Eunis June 28, 2012 at 5:33 pm - Reply

    Hi, I had lost my driving license. I went to jpj this morning, but the officer told me that my LIcense is no recorded. What should i do in this case?

    • Cikgu Yap June 29, 2012 at 8:52 am - Reply

      Please follow the instruction in the article above.

      You record should be available at the institute you did your driving course. If unable to provide all the particulars mentioned, then you probably might have to do the test all over again.

  15. Andy July 13, 2012 at 12:28 am - Reply

    My PDL just expired a couple of weeks ago … I was planning to go to JPJ tomorrow to get CDL issued but now I can’t find my PDL, I must have lost it in the last few days. Can I still go to the JPJ to get a CDL even tho I’ve lost my PDL or do I have to get duplicate PDL first? Can you tell me what do I need to provide to JPJ?


    • Andy July 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm - Reply

      Went to JPJ today but they got no record of my license … why am I not surprised. Malaysia Boleh? Too funny.

    • Cikgu Yap July 14, 2012 at 9:13 am - Reply

      If you have a fotostat copy of your L license, submit it with fotostat Mykad and one colour photo for CDL to be processed. If you have no L fotostat, then you have to take out a duplicate L license instead.

  16. Hugh August 9, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

    I have lost the renewal slip (without photo) but still have original license with photo. What do I do to replace the renewal slip? Can I get it from the post office?

    • Cikgu Yap August 13, 2012 at 10:24 am - Reply

      The renewal slip is part of your license. Do not worry. Go to any JPJ office to get a duplicate copy. No police report needed. However, you’ll be fined a penalty of RM20.

  17. Tham August 16, 2012 at 5:22 am - Reply

    I have lost my license in the UK. It that possible to ask any of my family member to help me to get a replacement. Or what is the best way to get a replacement as in me myself cannot attend JPJ for replacement.

    • Cikgu Yap August 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm - Reply

      Get necessary documents, a good runner / relative to help you.

  18. Yong September 5, 2012 at 7:22 am - Reply

    The things you’ll need will be amongst other things are:
    i) Your MyKad.

    ii) Colour photograph (license size).

    iii) A copy of either a TNB or Telekom bill, if you intend to change your latest address.

    iv) A RM20 fine will be imposed on all driving license lost.

    About those item requirement, i just lost my wallet, all my ID all has been gone, i just done a report of police and get a temporary IC from JPN.
    Can i just take that temporary IC to make a new Licence?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm - Reply

      The things described by yourself are all the things required for issuance of duplicate license. Temporary IC can certainly be used.

  19. puah November 15, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

    Hi, Mr yap,

    I recently lost both of my CDL(no photo) and PDL(with photo), can i have a new replacement in the post office instead go to jpj? do i need to make a police report first?
    thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap November 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm - Reply

      Duplicate license can only be done at JPJ, No police report needed.

      • Angeline Lee June 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm - Reply

        Hi Mr Yap,

        I too recently lost my CDL(no photo) to snatch thief. Although I am still emotionally affected but priority now is to get a duplicate licence as my DL expired next year 08 Feb 2015. And i have read your comment that i not need to make any reports. Thanks for the advice will go to any JPJ to have replacement done. Will bring the following documents i) MyKad.
        ii) Colour photograph (license size), iii) A copy of either a TNB or Telekom bill, if you intend to change your latest address. iv) A RM20 fine will be imposed on all driving license lost. But i have one question need to ask why do I need to bring a tnb or telekom bill if I dont intend to change my latest address?? Anyway thank You for the great advice and May God Bless You.

  20. Elizabeth S January 22, 2013 at 10:06 am - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap, I have lost my PDL yesterday and I will be taking QTI tomorrow. I am afraid that I couldn’t sit for the test tomorrow. Isn’t okay for me to sit for the test since I have lost my PDL? How to get my PDL back btw? Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap January 23, 2013 at 10:34 pm - Reply

      Certain institute accept photocopies. Talk to your institute folks.

  21. BT Lim January 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap,

    I lost my PDL, but my CPL still with me. I need to do a replacement for the PDL?

    What will be the charges to replace it?


    • Cikgu Yap January 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm - Reply

      No need to replace PDL. Renews only CPL. No charges made.

  22. addin March 4, 2013 at 11:56 am - Reply

    thank you ! this is most helpful to me. off to make a new copy of my DL. :D

  23. Ken Hou April 23, 2013 at 7:34 pm - Reply

    I am going to the JPJ Office near Kota Damansara to replace my lost ”P” license tomorrow,and I’m just curious will the procedure take long?Will I get my duplicate ”P” license in the same day I went to the JPJ office?Will it really be fast?

    • Cikgu Yap April 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm - Reply

      Changing your license shouldn’t take more than 1 hour.

  24. YL July 10, 2013 at 7:19 am - Reply

    Hi! May i ask what if i just got my driving license last month and i lost it. What should i do? Ilost my wallet. My identity card and everything is gone. Please help! Your help is much appreciated.

    • Cikgu Yap July 10, 2013 at 8:37 am - Reply

      Everything you need to do has been covered in the article above.

  25. June July 24, 2013 at 11:13 am - Reply

    I search from the web, some said driving license replacement without charge but some said required RM20. Could you please update me the latest charges applied to the lost driving license? Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap July 26, 2013 at 10:55 am - Reply

      Replacement charge is RM20.

  26. Wooden July 27, 2013 at 12:20 am - Reply

    But wouldn’t it be advisable to make a police report just in case some fella found it and decided to use it for some mischievous wrong doings? Like from the time it was lost till we make a new or replacement driving license or police report…. Or it doesn’t matter since when we get a replacement one, it will be recorded in the system?

  27. amy August 29, 2013 at 5:59 pm - Reply

    Sorry, what is the difference between PDL and CDL. I lost my PDL and from your answer above PDL is not needed anymore. Does that mean all future license will have no photo?

    • Cikgu Yap September 6, 2013 at 10:01 pm - Reply

      PDL is a learner’s license. Your passed license or CDL has photo too.

  28. Evelyn December 11, 2013 at 4:45 pm - Reply

    Hi! My driving licence (with photo) was lost during the bag snatch recently. And I have renew one with new date. Recently I planning convert to Singapore licence. Singpore traffic request me to present my old licence which is I lost that one. It’s possible to trace back my old driving licence record?

    • Cikgu Yap December 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm - Reply

      Visit your state JPJ office. They might possibly be of help.

  29. Joyce Tan June 8, 2014 at 9:56 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I have inadvertently lost my P license today my license still have one year before expired. Did i have to do a police report or i can replace at my driving school instructor to facilitate a duplicate P driving license?

    • Cikgu Yap June 10, 2014 at 7:27 am - Reply

      Police report not needed. Bring colour photo and MyKad. Any JPJ office can do your duplicate.

      • Angeline Lee June 12, 2014 at 9:04 am - Reply

        Thank you Cikgu Yap for the tips. Will be goin to JPJ today to get it done. Wish me luck. God Bless You. :)

        • Cikgu Yap June 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm - Reply

          Dear Angeline Lee,
          If you don’t intend to change address, then TNB receipt is not needed.

      • Joyce Tan June 15, 2014 at 3:43 pm - Reply

        Thank you cikgu Yap! :)

      • Sharon June 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm - Reply

        Can I know if i did my duplicate P license at JPJ how much replace fees i have to pay?

        • Cikgu Yap June 19, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

          Dear Sharon, Replacement fee should be RM20

  30. yenyong June 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm - Reply

    I lost my p license ytd, but my p license Is going expired this coming August. Do I need to lodge a police report?

    • Cikgu Yap June 29, 2014 at 4:37 pm - Reply

      Police report not needed. Do a duplicate P licence. Yap

  31. Shirley July 2, 2014 at 5:36 am - Reply

    I lost my friend renewal licence. He’s currently overseas, He wanted me to renew the licence. I have the original licence. What should I do?

    • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm - Reply

      Dear Shirley, Original licence alone isn ot enough. You will have to locate the renewal slip too! Make a duplicate driving licence I would suggest.


  32. roro July 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm - Reply

    Hi, I was wondering, is the L license still important even after I’ve obtained my P license? I just got my P today, but then I realised my L is missing ( I mustve dropped it somewhere. Ugh my carelessness) >_< do I need to worry? My new P license is safe though.

    • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2014 at 4:02 pm - Reply

      Dear Roro, L not necessary!


  33. CO August 31, 2014 at 9:56 pm - Reply

    Hi, I lost my CDL some time ago and I think the license had also expired. I need some guidance and a runner who could help me to get a new driving license. I would be very much appreciate if you could email me. Please help!

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

      Dear CO, Seek help of driving school institute.

      • CO September 5, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

        Dear Cikgu, thanks for your reply. Anyone that you could recommend?

  34. Hannah September 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm - Reply

    Hi I have lost/misplaced my driving licence but I have my renewal slip bearing a serial number will expire in 2015. I have photocopied of my driving licence, do I still need to lodge a police report or just go straight to JPJ ? Your advice is very much appreciated ! Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap September 14, 2014 at 7:49 pm - Reply

      Dear Hannah, No police report needed. Go straight to JPJ. Bring required photo (white background).

      • brntha October 11, 2015 at 12:05 am - Reply

        can this be done in the post office instead of jpj ? to get the missing DL (with photo) when i still have the renewal slip valid till 2017 ?

        • Cikgu Yap October 15, 2015 at 3:58 pm - Reply

          Necessary to go to any JPJ office to get duplicate license with photo.

  35. Kris November 24, 2014 at 4:08 pm - Reply

    What if my P license got robbed, and I am not in Malaysia to get a duplicate. Can someone send me a paper stating/confirming that I have a license? I don’t want to do everything again just because someone stole my license…


    • Cikgu Yap November 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm - Reply

      In life, deal with realities, not assumption is my advice.

  36. Alicia December 11, 2014 at 7:18 pm - Reply

    Hi I lost my driving license recently, understand that need to pay $20 penalty.
    Beside this, any other fee need to pay?
    Still need photo? Or just give IC + $20 penalty will do?

    • Cikgu Yap December 14, 2014 at 1:30 pm - Reply

      You contention correct. Supply photo and also bring your IC.

  37. NgCK April 20, 2015 at 10:58 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    My problem is that my son’s renewed driving license (without photo) is lost during postal delivery to United States. He still has his original CDL and he shall come back at the end of May this year. What we/ he should do to get a new renewed CDL (without photo) or a new IC-like driving license?

    Thank you.

  38. Ping March 19, 2017 at 12:07 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have lost my driving licence with photo, but still have my renewal slip bearing serial number which will expire next year. Can i go to Pos Laju office to get a duplicate driving license, or do I have to go to JPJ, please?

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 12:25 pm - Reply

      No. Go to JPJ to get a duplicate license.

  39. sree March 20, 2017 at 2:24 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    My daughter got snatch recently, and her belongings + driving License (P) which will be expiring in April (completing 2 years) gone. Police report done. What do i need to do next? Do I just go to JPJ to renew or… Any relevant doc need to bring? Pls advice

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 11:20 am - Reply

      Go to JPJ and request for a new P license.

  40. Kingsley February 4, 2018 at 4:36 pm - Reply

    Master Yap.
    I lost my driving license for the first time
    What should i do and what document i need to prepare.
    Many thanks.

  41. CY October 27, 2019 at 8:23 am - Reply

    My daughter lost her CDL driving license overseas. Can the mother get a replacement for her in malaysia using her photostat ic and photo? Any other documents needed?

    • Cikgu Yap October 28, 2019 at 12:32 pm - Reply

      Mother can get replacement using photostat IC and color photo with white background. Police report not needed.

Leave A Comment