Advice To Motorcycle “L” License Holders

Owners of Learner’s Driving License (LDL) are subjected to quite a few rules and regulations.

Unfortunately, the majority of “L” drivers and riders today do not seem to know what they can or cannot do with their Ls. Therefore, with today’s article, I will try to highlight some of the things an “L” driver is permitted to do or otherwise.

A person, be it a car driver or a motorcycle rider is used an “L” license for a duration of 3 months. You can even get an L license for 6 months if you pay double the sum for the license. As a matter of fact, some people feel it is more convenient getting a license for a longer duration.

Possessing an “L” license means that a person has passed his Highway Code test, which is Part I of the Road Transport’s rules and regulations. “L” license holders should realise that one’s L license has to be one month old before he or she is allowed to sit for his practical test.

A practical test for D license (Cars) has 2 parts, Part II (Slope, Parking, 3 point turn) and Part III (Road test). A practical test for motorcycles (B2 or B Full) likewise is also divided into 2 parts. Part 1 is the part on obstacles maneuver. It comprises of circling 2 round abouts, crossing a bridge some 18 – 20 meters long, zig-zagging amongst a series of cones and finally doing emergency brakes successfully.

Part 2 of motorcycle test is essentially the checking of various parts of a motorcycle namely:
i) Headlights

ii) Indicators

iii) Horn

iv) Brake lights

v) Handle bar mirrors

vi) Right hand signals

vii) Left hand signals

This is then followed by slowing down signals, signals to stop, to turn right and turn left. For B Full, a candidate has to go through an uneven road surface. This is to test the student’s ability to control a big bike.

This article would like to concentrate solely on motorcycle alone. Candidates taking up a car licenses will be dealt with in another later.

A motorcycle who is an L rider must put L plates both in front and at the back of the motorcycle. Failure to use the L plates whilst riding is an offense.

Another thing an L driver cannot do is to ferry a pillion rider. Many L riders are not aware of this requirement. When riding a motorcycle, L riders are reminded that they must put on their headlight and tail lights 24 hours a day.

Right and left handle bar mirrors are also compulsory for a motorcycle rider. Do bring along your L license when riding your bike. The same applies also to wearing a helmet. In Malaysia, half helmet are already banned.

Although an L license I not yet a full fledged license and it is termed as a temporary license, nevertheless, its user can be fined or summoned for traffic offences they commit. In the Demerit Points system which the Road Transport Authorities practice, P license holders and CDL license holders are given demerit points which can result in such licenses being withdrawn or revoked.

However, L license holders are exempted. Whatever the situation may be, L license holders should see to it that they should attempt to ride carefully to avoid being summoned by the authorities. Riding a bike cautiously will ensure your own safety.

As a lost word of advice to all L motorcycle riders, make sure that you wear the necessary motorcycle attire that has time and again been recommended to you. A good safety helmet is a must. So are leather jackets and knee high boots. Wear jeans ideally as they provide better protection to a rider. Goggles are also recommended highly. Wear leather gloves if you possibly can.

Riding a motorcycle is very dangerous. Therefore protecting yourselves with personal accident insurance policy is highly recommended to someone riding a motorcycle.

By | 2012-09-21T20:25:08+08:00 December 21st, 2010|Motorcycle Test|18 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Ben December 23, 2010 at 10:46 am - Reply

    Hi there sir, I am Malaysian and i left for the States for college before i turned 17. I am now 18 and i just got my license here in the states. I was wondering if the license i obtained here would be valid in Malaysia if i was traveling back for a holiday. – Thanks in advance!

    • Cikgu Yap December 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm - Reply

      US license can be used in Malaysia.

  2. Dhilashinii December 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm - Reply

    I would like to know whether it is possible to change driving schools? I already have my L license and I failed my first driving exam in bangi. I have not re-sat the test.

    I was wondering whether, I could change driving schools so that I could re-sit the exam in a place closer to home? Must re-do everything( undang-undang,test?)
    I had a really lousy instructor who was always shouting at me and I did not like that very much. So could you please advice me on this matter.

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap December 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm - Reply

      Yes, you can change driving schools if you are in the same state. Get all your particulars such KPP forms, L license and past results etc. Sorry you have met a bad instructor. Better luck next time.

  3. suhaila 88 December 31, 2010 at 7:48 am - Reply

    I am about to renew my roadtax today. but, suddently i were being told by post office person that my name is black list. Then, i check summons at PDRM. because of speeding, i am being summon. 1 summon dated march 2009. What is weird is, when i renew my roadtax dec 2010, everything run smoothly. there is no summon listed. but, dec 2010, when i want to renew my roadtax, i just found that i have one summon which is on march 2009 as i stated above.

    another point, my P licence will be expired on 07 january 2011. what should i do? should i pay the summon and renew my roadtax first or get my CDL 1st?

    • Cikgu Yap January 6, 2011 at 10:37 am - Reply

      Summons usually takes time to be updated. If you’re blacklisted, you might be unable to change your P.

  4. bboy January 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm - Reply

    Great info on your site. I am an international student and looking for good transportation besides the company car we have. Our house does not have enough space for a second car, and besides that, another car would be rather expensive compared to a motor. Therefore, a small motorcycle (250cc kawa) has my particular interest. I do not have a license yet, but planning to get the b2 license on my university. I have some questions though;

    1) Am i allowed to ride a (on paper 248/249 cc) 250 cc small motor with the b2 license and
    2) can i buy/ own a motorcycle before or when i have obtained the L license, in order to prepare for the pratical test?

    I very much appreciate information on this matter, since i have not yet encountered specific info on this. Thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap January 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm - Reply

      B2 allows you to ride bike below 250cc. Get license before buying the motorcycle.

      • bboy February 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm - Reply

        an L license is sufficient to buy a motorcycle? or does it have to be a P license?

        • Cikgu Yap February 13, 2011 at 9:40 am - Reply

          You can buy a bike using an “L” license.

  5. amanda January 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm - Reply

    hI SIR,
    I wanna ask that, i had my L since 16.4.2009..
    i took both B2 and D. I had already pass my B2 and my D i fail my JPJ test
    and i did not sit for the exam again for the 2nd time. and my L licence had alreasy expired since 5.3.2010. so, do u think i can continue my JPJ exam or had to study all over again? My B2 licence i aslo did not renew till now, but im having the JPJ test result for B2..

    Im confused whether my L licence is still valid or not? and how abt my B2?

    Thx alot..
    ur information is very important for me.

    • Cikgu Yap February 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm - Reply

      You can renew your L and take your D test again. Your B results can be used till up to one year. I suggest you quickly change it to P before its validity ends.

  6. Sarath Menon January 21, 2012 at 8:13 am - Reply

    Sir, I’ve got my full license for D. I took it 10 years ago. Few years back I was using my L to ride bike. It expired in Jan 2008. I am wondering if I can renew the L license again to ride my bike or can I just use my full D license to ride the bike. (As we know, we need to have L before you can get a full license)
    Thanking you in advance =)

    • Cikgu Yap January 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm - Reply

      You might probably succeed in renewing your “L” license still. If not, you could take out a new L instead. No, “D” license not allowed to ride a bike.

  7. Beyond Tan February 25, 2012 at 1:23 am - Reply

    Hi sir, I wanna get a motor bike license but because I’m busy working now so I don’t have much time to manage the progress and sit for the test….But lasttime i heard before from someone (a friend) who owned a motor bike license in P, he told me that I can get a “L” license for bike and ride it on the road without being worry…Its that true??

    Oh ya for you info I have my car license for 2 years+ and passed….

    • Cikgu Yap February 26, 2012 at 8:28 am - Reply

      You are exempted from Highway Code. But you’ve to attend 6 hour theory course to get your B2 “L” license.

  8. Saif February 19, 2017 at 3:33 am - Reply


    I have a D license. Planning to get a B full license. In the meantime can I still use my L license to ride my bike? Is my L license from taking the exam for the D license long years before still valid?

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 9:43 am - Reply

      Your license appears to be too old. You have to do the tests all over again.

Leave A Comment