The Cost Of Getting Motorcycle License In Malaysia

Many years ago, motorcycle riders were exempted from paying road tolls. Bridge tolls followed. B2 riders were exempted. Very soon followed the government’s decision to reduce road tax. Road tax for motors become RM2 only.

But if you think that’s all the authorities are doing for motorcycle rides, you’re wrong.

A few months ago, 135,000 Sirim approved safety helmets were given free in exchange for old helmets. The above campaign had to be carried out. Motorcycle riders, it seems, were using old and worn out helmets, which the authorities claimed were dangerous.

Each Sirim approved helmet, mind you, cost approximately RM80 – RM100.

If you were to be a motorcycle rider, what more can you expect from the authorities?

Unfortunately, how have these youths who ride motorcycle repaid the authorities? By becoming “Mat Rempit”, which is becoming a major headache for the government today.

Even Section 81 of the Road Transport Act 1987 has failed to deter youths from participating in illegal racing. The above act carries a RM2000 fine. It has even been suggested in Parliament that machines be confiscated. All these have failed to prevent the menace of illegal racing in this country.

In spite of all these developments, the authorities came out with the biggest surprise of all just recently. A bonus for all motorcycle riders, I should say.

A directive to all driving institutes all across the entire country, that potential candidates opting to secure a B2 (below 250 cc) motor license cannot be charged more than a sum of RM211.

Irregardless of whether the institutes make a profit or otherwise, the regulation now stipulates that’s the maximum amount a motorcycle rider can be charged.

This tantamount to encouraging and assisting more and more youths, especially from the kampung areas to secure a motor driving license to ride motorcycles.

To tell you the truth, I would be happier if it had been the other way around. The authorities, it looks, has made a rather unwise decision. Instead of raising the minimum age of riding motorcycles to say 18 years, it has gone out of its way, to introduce recommendations to assist motorcycle users again and again.

Lest it be said that I am against those who ride motorcycles, the fact it, I am not.

What does the sum of RM211, recently announced by the authorities encompass? Basically, the amount covers:

1) The “L” driving license.

2) Attendance of the K.P.P. course (5 hours).

3) Attendance of the theory class (6 hours).

4) Sitting for the highway code test (once only).

5) The Q.T.I. test conducted by the J.P.J. authorities.

6) The “P” driving license.

Be it reminded that should you fail the highway code test the first time around, most driving schools and institutes would charge you RM50 for test and service included the next time around.

Potential candidates should also bear in mind, no service like fetching the student to learn practical lessons and training purposes are accorded. Likewise for all other tests and practical tests conducted, a student has to fend for himself.

The instructor or driving schools or institutes provide no service whatsoever to the students.

Be it also be known, that the profession of driving institution is a service oriented business. Besides levying fees approved by the J.P.J. authorities, a driving school proprietor is permitted to charge a reasonable amount of what is termed as service charges.

It should be reminded the driving school entity has to bear overhead and assorted charges. And for that, service fee has to be taken into account.

I have chosen to explain this to the readers, as a failure to do so might lead those interested in taking up driving lessons, be it car or motorcycle, to misconstrue the manner in which the fees are charged and calculated.

By | 2017-04-05T20:38:59+08:00 January 25th, 2010|Motorcycle Test|60 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Yang May 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm - Reply

    I would like to know how much the rider license would cost all up. Because I’ve recently ask my friends they told me it was around RM700. I would like to know because I have been living in Australia for the past few years and have no information of rider license over here in Malaysia.

    • Cikgu Yap May 20, 2010 at 8:06 pm - Reply

      The RM700 you quoted maybe for B Full. B2 (below 250cc) is government controlled at RM201. However, driving schools can impose a reasonable service fee amounting to RM70 – RM100.

  2. Adli Ratzz May 30, 2010 at 7:56 am - Reply

    sy dh mmpunyai lesen P klas ‘D’…sy brcdng nk ambk lesen untuk klas ‘B’…adkah sy perlu ambk ujian undang2 semula??

  3. Mansur August 8, 2010 at 2:45 am - Reply

    what is the minimum age if someone wants to take the B1 (250cc+) course?

    • Cikgu Yap August 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm - Reply

      Minimum age for B1 remains at 16.

  4. Daniel August 8, 2010 at 11:12 am - Reply

    I have a question to ask .. In what age can a person get the motorbike license .
    I dont see any information about the age above ..

    • Cikgu Yap August 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm - Reply

      Answer to your question is 16 years.

  5. sue anne October 13, 2010 at 1:04 am - Reply

    u mean it costs only RM211 for the whole thing? is it still the case? plus service fees maybe RM300 plus right?

    thats great. i’ve only been learning on an automatic motor, i hope the manual one won’t be too hard

    • Cikgu Yap October 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm - Reply

      Government controlled price is RM211 for B2. Driving school can add reasonable service charge.

  6. Kingsley March 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu, got a question. I had an L license for the B, C and D class 6 years ago, but I only went on to get a D license. Recently, I started taking an interest in riding bikes and would like to obtain just an L license for the B class, just to get a feel of riding bikes to see if I’ll like and stick to it. Is that possible and how much would I have to pay? Thanks in advance! :D

    • Cikgu Yap March 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm - Reply

      Your old license cannot be used. To get a new L for B, attend a theory class for bikes. To learn and test for a B2, the government controlled price is RM201.

  7. WF Lai March 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap,

    I would like to take B2 license, and I currently have D license, do i need to retake any theory test?

    • Cikgu Yap March 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm - Reply

      Highway Code is exempted. Attend the 6 hour theory for B2. No test whatsoever.

  8. May March 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

    the instructor im learning from does not want to give my L because he thinks i am still not qualified to ride a bike during the amali what should i do?? its the first time i ride a bike too

    • Cikgu Yap March 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm - Reply

      An instructor has no right to witheld a student’s license. Discuss it nicely with your instructor. If you have no choice, you’ll have to see JPJ for assistance.

  9. Daniel April 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm - Reply

    I`m an expat with European car driving licence. Do I need to attend a course to have a Malaysian motorcycle licence? Would it cost the same for me?

    • Cikgu Yap April 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm - Reply

      You can only drive cars while in Malaysia. To get a B2 (motor) license, you’ll have to sit the Highway Code, followed by the 6 hours theory course. In short, you’ll have to do the entire motorcycle course and practical test too.

  10. Sanjay May 20, 2011 at 9:28 am - Reply

    Hi, currently waiting for my B-Full “L” license from my driving school. Aside from riding classes at the school, do you think it is ok to get a used big bike to practice on the road with the L displayed. First-time rider. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap May 23, 2011 at 11:26 am - Reply

      Yes, you can buy a big bike to practice. Hang the “L” on it though.

  11. Poonithan August 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm - Reply

    The total amount for riding license is Rm201++ . The extra are the service charge. If i sit for the computer test i pass it mean within how many days can i get the L license?

    • Cikgu Yap August 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm - Reply

      Depends on how fast you instructor is able to work.

  12. miini May 4, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

    good morning sir! what i want to ask here is i have paid 211 to my agent, but she said i need to pay another 50 for my first e-service test and 100 for my first theory class. is it in the right way?
    really need your help.

  13. Bill Millar May 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap, I am from Australia and live in KL. I have a class D Malaysian Drivers Licence and what to get a B2 Bike Licence. From above I gather I have to attend the 6 hour theory but no exam? Is this correct? Where is the theory course held – JPJ in Manju Junction?

    • Cikgu Yap May 21, 2012 at 10:52 am - Reply

      To get B2 license, attend 6 hour theory course. Any driving institute around your area provides the course.

  14. adrian May 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm - Reply

    can you ride a 50cc moped in malaysia?

    • Cikgu Yap May 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

      A 50cc moped must undergo JPJ inspection and possess the necessary insurance.

  15. Eric August 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm - Reply

    Hello, I know that car license takes up to 45 days to complete..
    But how about motorcycle license?
    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap August 6, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

      Same applies to motorcycles too.

  16. ah mii October 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm - Reply

    Good day Cikgu Yap, i’m from philippines working in Sabah now. I have a driver license (car) but it just expired. Would like to ask if I am allowed to obtain a motorcycle license and also obtain an international driving license given the expiration without going back to philippines? If I’m only riding a bicycle, do i need a license here? Thanks alot Cikgu.

    • Cikgu Yap October 4, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

      Your own country is responsible for issuing you with IDL back home. To ride motor, you need a B2 license. To get a Malaysian motorcycle license, attend all relevant courses and practical tests.

      • ah mii October 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm - Reply

        Tq Cikgu Yap. So meaning i have to go back to Philippines to renew my license and also obtain my IDL (International Driving License if I’m correct) there? As i wish i can settle it all here in Sabah. I would like to add that i do not understand the Malay language and hence I’m not sure if they will let me sit for the test and courses. I know how to ride a motorcycle though. Thanks again.

        • Cikgu Yap October 13, 2012 at 9:06 am - Reply

          I suggest that you try to convert your Philippines domestic license into Malaysian driving license. After that, ask JPJ if your converted Malaysian license can be changed to IDL. Regarding language problems, you can use English for test purposes too.

          • ah mii October 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

            Thank you Cikgu Yap. I will try ask 1st if my expired Philippines domestic license can still works in converting into a local one. And thank you for information on the language barrier. Wish me luck.

          • Cikgu Yap October 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

            Expired license cannot be converted.

  17. abbe October 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm - Reply

    hi Cikgu Yap,

    i intend to take full B license but problem is i did not know how to ride motorcycle at all.. may i know how much does it cost n how long the period takes to complete the whole session until i get the license. thx Cikgu Yap.

    • Cikgu Yap October 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm - Reply

      I suggest you take B2 (250cc) license first, followed by B Full license later.

      • abbe November 3, 2012 at 8:51 am - Reply

        how much does it cost n how long the period takes to complete the whole session until i get the license. thx Cikgu Yap.

        • Cikgu Yap November 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm - Reply

          Betting B2 followed later by B Full, I anticipate approximately RM700 – RM800. Tame taken is about 50 – 60 days.

  18. hamid June 28, 2013 at 11:02 am - Reply

    hello dear,
    I am foreigner in Malaysia is it all procedure same for like above you have mentioned?
    what is the cost of L driving licence?


    • Cikgu Yap June 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm - Reply

      Procedures similar for all.

  19. biplov June 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm - Reply

    hi, have got a question and hope to get reply
    i,m from nepal and i have both bike and car licence from my country, can i get both license in here and if yes how much it cost me and what are the process…

    • Cikgu Yap June 10, 2014 at 7:33 am - Reply

      Visit our JPJ offices and inquire if your country’s license can be converted.

  20. Chris August 7, 2014 at 9:51 am - Reply

    Hello Sir, my son would like a B2 bike license; enquired from the driving school he got his D license that it would cost RM700+. Why the big diff? Is the RM211 max ruling still enforced? Plz advise before he makes any payment to the school.

    • Cikgu Yap August 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

      The $211 is a special package offered only by the authorities.

  21. liew November 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm - Reply

    Helo sir . How much does it cost to get a b1 (500cc ) motorcycle license?? should I get the b1 or b2 licence first ? Plus how long will the be ? Because im planing to finish it in 2week or less and hope to get my licence ASAP . Hope to get an reply . Thanks

    • Cikgu Yap November 23, 2014 at 10:59 am - Reply

      Dear Liew, B Full approximately RM1000 currently. Go straight to B full course.

  22. Andy Hwang November 24, 2014 at 11:52 am - Reply

    Hi there,I am turning 16 next year and I was wondering can i go for theory first then the exercise for the B2 license? And is there a age restriction for it?

    • Cikgu Yap November 29, 2014 at 10:58 pm - Reply

      Reach 16 and then talk about it.

  23. Mang November 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr Yap,

    I would like to take B license, and I currently have D license, do i need to retake any theory test? and also driving test?

    • Cikgu Yap November 28, 2014 at 3:31 pm - Reply

      Dear Mang, Do theory class and Highway Code test. This is the latest requirement.

  24. Bakhtiar January 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm - Reply

    Hi, Mr Yap

    I have a D license already and thinking of taking the B full motorcycle license.

    I have read the previous comments from others and would like to know from you the LATEST information about the procedures I have to go through in order to get the B full license, keeping in mind that I have the D license already.

    Is there any new update on that because I recently heard about jpj making the test for motorcycle and car into one, what does that mean?

    Thank you for your time.

    • Cikgu Yap January 27, 2015 at 8:32 pm - Reply

      Prior to the new syllabus JPJ implemented in Decemcer 2014, those having D license were exempted from sitting for the Highway Code. Up to today, there has no concrete directives pertaining to the above. Directive changes ever so frequently. You will have to ask the authorities what’s the latest procedures are.

      • Bakhtiar January 28, 2015 at 3:41 pm - Reply

        Oh ok. Thank you very much.
        Have a good day.

  25. Huzaifah January 31, 2015 at 2:49 am - Reply

    Hi Sir,

    I am foreign student in Malaysia. Recently, one of my friends (also foreign student) took the exam from JPJ which is computer test. He has given RM 300 to his driving school which is at Cheras, KL. Then he got “L” license la. What I want to know is, according to your information mentioned above, RM 211 is for both “L” and “P” licenses (if I understood correctly). So, why my friend has to pay “L” for RM 300 and another “P” license for RM 300 again? So, total is about RM 600+. Please guide me Do’s & Don’s since I am going to take the driving course and license too. Thank you very much for your time and information sharing.

    • Cikgu Yap January 31, 2015 at 9:26 pm - Reply

      You must have misunderstood message, read again pls!

  26. Carol April 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,
    I am not quite familiar with the procedure. I need to take both car and bike licence. As for the bike B full because i know how to ride and i went for the licence test but only half way so i have to re-sit all over again. What do u suggest i do and how much do am i looking at and the time frame. Pls do get back to me at your earliest conveniences. Thank you!

  27. david cho December 18, 2015 at 2:14 pm - Reply

    me already have a D class licence for 24 years .. hmm since you say malaysia goverment have “A directive to all driving institutes all across the entire country, that potential candidates opting to secure a B2 (below 250 cc) motor license cannot be charged more than a sum of RM211.” but when i go ask 2 of the driving school in kepong area both also tell me that the cost to obtain a B2 licence was above RM1000 .. one shop the price was RM1100 and another one was about RM1450 (damn ridicules ) .. when i ask them about the goverment directive of the rm 211 ruling .. the shop told me that they didnt do that and say that i can go myself to register at the jpj test center :( .. so it was really very confusing procedure on how to get a B2 licence to just ride a scooter :( .. can you please advice me cikgu ? im a malaysian and stay in KL . TQ

  28. Balasubramaniam February 22, 2016 at 9:37 am - Reply

    Dear cikgu. I obtained B,C and D license since 2007. I renew My motor license every 6 months as usual. The last I went to JPJ, PJ branch as usual, unfortunately they told me the L license for motor are no longer anymore. Hence, I need to re do again. At the time he manage to renew for me provided 24days only instead 6moths as usual. Within this 24days, I must sit for exam it seems. Is that right cikgu. Please kindly advice what shall I do next? Thank you.

  29. Lok April 18, 2019 at 11:00 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, would like to ask u some question.. i did have my car driving license about a year ago. If i like to have a motorbike license do i need to sit for the theory test ? Your reply are most appreciate.

    • Cikgu Yap April 19, 2019 at 2:29 pm - Reply

      Attend O1 kursus, then sit for motorcycle highway code.

Leave A Comment