The government has rather recently directed all driving schools and institutes across the nation to charge potential motorcycle student no more than RM211.

This applied to those who intent to secure a Class B2 motorcycle license.

Briefly, the amount of RM211 seems to cover:

i) Attending the 5 hour course on Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu.

ii) Sitting for the computer test on the Highway Code.

iii) The issuance of the Learner Driver’s License or “L”.

iv) Attendance of the 6 hours theory course.

However, it should be informed that the driving school, being a service orientated business concern has the right to impose reasonable service charges on the student.

According to a close friend of mine who has been in the driving school business for over 40 years, the service charge can amount to anything from RM150 – RM200.

If should also be informed that a student is allowed to sit for the computer test only once.

Should a student fail his or her Highway Code the first time around, then the driving school will impose a fee of RM50 for the second attempt.

The above rules and regulations are in accordance with the requirements of the transport authorities.

Where does a potential student wishing to secure a Class B2 (below 250 cc) license go after he or she has obtained the “L” license?

The student has to then enroll himself, normally through a driving institute to learn how to ride correctly at the institute’s premises.

This course which cost RM70 – RM85 will again be borne by the proprietor of the driving school or institute.

And what does the motorcycle learner be taught in its 4 – 5 lessons course?

In fact, at the institute, the tuition provided is done by trained driving instructors of the institutes who possess the necessary documents and certificates.

Motorcycle used for learning purposes, have the necessary insurance coverage and are inspected by the Puspakom authorities once every 6 months.

The motorcycle course, in case you are not aware is divided into 2 parts. They are:

Part 1

1) Riding around 2 round abouts.

2) Crossing a narrow 1 foot bridge in approximately 7 seconds or less.

3) Riding or zig sagging amongst a series of cones.

4) Doing an emergency stop procedure.

The above obstacles is said to test the students’ ability to control a motorcycle well.

Part II

This part is the practical test where it proceeds on to test the student on other aspects.

This is called the “road riding” aspect of the test.

It includes:

i) Checking or installing signals, horns, hand brakes and foot brakes, front and rear brakes and handle bar mirror prior to moving off.

ii) The ability to use hand signals and mechanical signals of the vehicle well.

iii) Slowing down signals.

iv) How to put the vehicle or either 1 stand or double stand procedures.

It should further reiterated that once a rider wobbles or falls, he or she will be accorded an instant failure!

Come to think of it, to secure a B2 motorcycle license, the obstacles are many.

In reality, it is not an easy thing getting a B2 motorcycle license after all.

My advice to all potential candidates is visit the institute’s premises more often so that you can learn to be adept in riding and controlling the vehicle prior to your practical test by the J.P.J. authorities.

If you should fail either Part I or Part II of the practical test, you will have to resit for it at a later date.

And obviously, you have to learn a few more lessons before appearing for the next test.

And this would mean further expenses on your part.

If you are able to pass both the parts of the practical test, then you will be rewarded with a B2 class riding license for bikes under 250 cc.

By | 2017-06-07T09:18:23+08:00 April 1st, 2010|Motorcycle Test|35 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Sinimotor May 21, 2010 at 9:47 am - Reply

    Come to think of it, getting a motorcycle license is not as easy as most people think. Controlling a motorcycle is more difficult than a car. Think of it – the maneuver, the zigzagging and especially when not Malaysia’s roads are favorable for motorcycles.

    • Cikgu Yap May 22, 2010 at 4:26 am - Reply

      You’re absolutely correct. Securing a B2 license is not an easy thing after all. Owners of motorcycles should in fact treasure it.

  2. liaw June 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr. Yap, i failed part two during JPJ test. What is the cost to apply for a new test (part 2 only)? and how long will the part 3 result valid so that i need not take it again? Thx in advance.

  3. azmeer November 3, 2010 at 1:00 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap.
    I took the B2 many many years ago, seemed easier at that time, but now there are more steps before you get a license, all for a greater good I suppose.

    If I were to apply for a full B license do I still have to undergo all these tests?


    • Cikgu Yap November 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm - Reply

      To get B Full, you’ll have to do the 6 hours theory motor course.

  4. Shueking October 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm - Reply

    Do you need to provide your own motorcycle if you are going for the test? And will 250cc superbike be allowed in the test?

    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap October 20, 2011 at 11:25 am - Reply

      Motorcycle are provided during test. Most motorcycles used for B2 test are smaller cc vehicles. For B1 licenses, you can ride bigger bikes with cc 251 to 500.

  5. James July 31, 2012 at 12:09 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,
    Is the bike used for the test at JPJ an ” automatic or manual” type?
    My practice bike is automatic scooter honda Icon.
    Can i chose to use my own bike for the test?
    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap August 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm - Reply

      No, you can’t use your own bike. Institutes bikes are mostly manual.

  6. Andy July 31, 2012 at 9:39 am - Reply

    I’m from KL and have been driving cars for nearly 30 years without any major issues.
    Is it possible for me to attain the basic motorcycle license without taking the theory and/or computer tests all over again?

    • Cikgu Yap August 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm - Reply

      As you already possess a car license, you’re exempted from Highway code. However, you have to attend 6 hour theory class to get your B2 license out.

  7. priya February 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm - Reply

    need some clarifications.
    under the new arrangement can my husband apply for the license?
    my hubby now 41 years. previously he had L license. he had engaged someone to obtain the full license and also car license. But that man cheated and gone missing. The worst part is that he had got my husband L license with him. Now my husband has no evindence that he had L license. How to deal?
    please advise

    • Cikgu Yap February 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm - Reply

      Your husband’s previous L license has become null and void. Do the entire driving course all over to get new L.

  8. nawfal March 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    Let me thank you first for your availability to help around with your useful information whoever needs it.
    I am a bit confused with information read here and others got from friends here and there. I have D driving licence….to sum up and make it very short and clear…what to do and what steps to take to secure a B2 driving license?
    thanks in advance and have a wonderful day…

    • Cikgu Yap March 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm - Reply

      Everything you want to know has been explained in the article above.

  9. nawfal March 20, 2013 at 4:57 pm - Reply

    I must be blind or unconscious when I posted my comment then!!!
    Cannot see anything talking about D license holders and how they can secure B2 driving license in the article above….
    Anyway thanks for your very informative reply of 12 words and have a good morning or afternoon or whatever…..
    Going to call JPJ and get info I want.


  10. Chris May 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Referring to your reply to Andy on 1st August, 2012, you said:

    “As you already possess a car license, you’re exempted from Highway code. However, you have to attend 6 hour theory class to get your B2 license out.”

    Does this mean I don’t need the 5 hours kursus and don’t need to take the computer test? I went to a driving school to ask and the person there told me I still need the kursus and the computer test, so I’m a little bit confused. I hope cikgu can enlighten me.

    Note: I’ve been driving for 10 years, clean record no saman etc…

    • Cikgu Yap May 13, 2013 at 10:50 am - Reply

      First, you’re exempted from attending the KPP course and Highway Code. The lady clerk from JPJ’s advice regarding having to wait for 3 years is wrong. See a reliable driving school. They will have little problem getting you a new B Full L. The 6 hour theory course need not be attended as you already have a B2 license.

  11. Alias July 11, 2013 at 10:33 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I’m a 30 year old Singaporean about to move to KL soon. What documents on my behalf would I need to apply for a B Full L?
    I’m still on a visitors pass currently thus am wondering if I could qualify.
    (If you could, please reply to my email Cikgu)

  12. danny March 24, 2014 at 9:03 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr. Yap ,

    I am a citizen of Malaysia having D license for more than 20 years ,
    If I want to obtain a full B license , how much is the cost and what procedure ?


    Danny Soh

    • Cikgu Yap March 27, 2014 at 11:37 am - Reply

      Will be contacting your email.

      • Benny May 22, 2014 at 3:03 pm - Reply

        I am of the same situation; and would like to know the same information.

        Thank you,

  13. Braam May 26, 2014 at 10:09 am - Reply

    I am an expat driving on Australian full car license. I have had motorbikes in the past and have no problem riding one, just don’t have a motorbike license at the moment. I want to buy a 1200 cc bike and want to know what I need to do to get a motorbike license to drive one that size.


    • Cikgu Yap May 27, 2014 at 8:46 pm - Reply

      If you are an expat working here, get assistance of a reliable driving school or institute to assist you. Attend all the necessary courses. It i my opinion you’ll have to undergo the highway code exam. However, you can learn up driving a superbike at institute which provide the bikes. Only but the bike of your own after you have passed your exam.

  14. yl June 6, 2014 at 6:04 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap, please refer me to some good instructors in KL or PJ to get a B2 lessons?

    • Cikgu Yap June 7, 2014 at 1:02 am - Reply

      Please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  15. Pang June 19, 2014 at 9:49 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap ,

    I am a citizen of Malaysia and had a D license more than 20 years. Can you e-mail me the cost & the procedure to get the license B.

    Tks & rgds.


    • Cikgu Yap June 19, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

      For motorcycle license, please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  16. D.A March 22, 2015 at 4:21 pm - Reply


    Thanks for the information, and I will visit one the metro driving academy nearby.

    Before vising, plz let me make it clear.
    (FYI, will ride a scooter smaller than 125cc)

    To sum up,,

    If wanting to secure a Class B2 motorcycle license, should

    Step 1. take 5 hour course.
    Step 2. take a computer test on the highway code.
    Step 3. attend the 6 hours theory course
    Step 4. enrol to learn how to ride correctly to secure a complete b2 licence.

    Q1. As an expat having my own country driver’s licence(more than 12 years) and working here, should undergo and take all the steps above?

    Q2. Based on the information you gave above, would it cost me around RM300 for all the steps?( In case that there is no failure)

    Q3. Which step does the motorcycle course where there are part 1 & part 2 belong to?

    Thanks for your time and consideration.

    • Cikgu Yap March 22, 2015 at 7:14 pm - Reply

      Follow 6 hour theory course. Sit for highway code. Then attend a 16-17 practical lesson at institute. Make a concrete decision what you want to do!

  17. walaa reda Ata August 10, 2015 at 11:24 pm - Reply

    Hello, i’ve been to jpj, they advised me to use my country issued driving license to drive a car in malaysia, i’m having a 3 month pass but not a Malaysian resident, my question is: to have a B2 motorcycle license, what tests i should be taking and what i can get exempted? thanks for your information.

    • Cikgu Yap August 12, 2015 at 12:01 pm - Reply

      Visit JPJ and ask them if your B2 license can be converted here.

  18. Peggy February 16, 2017 at 12:14 am - Reply

    I have D license and i want to get a B2 License. Is it i need to attend kursus pendidikan pemandu, sit for highway code test, get L license and again for theory course? Or all this exempted? Pls advice.

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 9:47 am - Reply

      Attend the 7 hour 01 kursus. Sit for the computer test.

Leave A Comment