The Process of Securing a GDL & PSV License In Malaysia

Goods Driver’s License (G.D.L.) is a driving license that is intended to allow drivers of vans and lorries to ferry or transport goods belonging to companies or factories from one place to another.

P.S.V. on the other hand means Public Service Vehicles.

To drive a bus or taxi in our country, the authorities possess a law whereby its drivers should have this vocational license.

Failure to own such a license therefore is an offense.

GDL Malaysia

Basically, G.D.L. and P.S.V. licenses can only be attained by:

i) A person who is above 21 years of age.

ii) A Malaysian citizen only. Foreigners cannot therefore apply for such a license.

iii) Have a full driving license.

A “P” or provisional license holders will therefore be unable to apply for it.

There exists many other requirements that a driver should possess before he can apply for vocational license.

For the time being, only the above requirements are mentioned.

Other requirements will be touched upon at a later stage.

Why does the J.P.J. authorities insist that vehicles carrying goods and public service vehicles such as taxi and buses be driven by such professional people only?

In short, such vehicles as mentioned above demand that its drivers who are competent and capable of handling such vehicles.

Ferrying goods and transporting passengers from one destination to another is both dangerous and the safety of bus and taxi passengers is likewise immensely vital to the authorities concerned.

Besides, a 6 monthly compulsory inspection by the Puspakom authorities, vehicles such as lorries, vans, taxis, school buses, public buses, chartered tour bus and trailers, to name but a few, are sent for inspection to determine their mechanical road worthiness.

Vehicles that fail Puspakom’s stringent checks are not allowed on the roads.

In my opinion, the inspection is definitely a wise and good move.

Such stringent checks should not be considered as an inconvenience, but rather as a necessary evil for the safety of the Malaysian public and road users as a whole.

Besides inspections by Puspakom authorities, spot checks and road blocks by both J.P.J. authorities and the police are frequently carried out.

Checks upon lorries, taxis and buses are done all the time.

These checks should in fact be applauded.

In the above spot checks, brakes, tyre conditions and most importantly, smoke emissions, especially by diesel powered vehicles come under frequent inspections by the authorities.

Another thing that is frequently under the authorities’ surveillance is the presence of fire fighting equipment and emergency triangles which public service vehicles are expected to have.

All these equipments ensure the safety of these public vehicles.

Vehicles such as these, if they are not equipped with them, should be summoned for contravening the authorities’ stringent requirements.

But unfortunately, such checks on public service vehicles alone cannot help to prevent or lower the rate of accidents in Malaysia.

What actually can?

Something else more important, however, needs also to be taken into account as well.

As I have mentioned, driving public service vehicles like taxis and buses, goods carrying vehicles such as vans, lorries and trailers, should ideally be in the hands of those who have G.D.L. and P.S.V. licenses, which are considered as professional vocational licenses.

But one further requirement that is to be expected of the above drivers is the responsibility of driving these vehicles on the road well. G.D.L. and P.S.V. should ensure that they drive such vehicles safety and in a responsible manner.

Being huge and big vehicles, they should see to it that they ideally give way to smaller vehicles like cars and especially motorcyclists on the road.

There are few things I would like to advocate to G.D.L. and P.S.V. holders to do.

Do not at any time beat the traffic lights.

This is the most dangerous of all traffic offences which can be committed by a vocational license holder.

Do not forget that!

In a nasty accident, which took place just recently, 3 close friends perished in a tragic accident.

It was reported to have taken place in Jalan Haji Sirat, near Taman Klang Utama which is near Klang town.

Either the car driver or the lorry driver was reported to have beaten the red traffic lights then.

In this case, I sincerely hope it is not the G.D.L. license holder who has beaten the traffic light this time around.

Should the G.D.L. lorry driver who is responsible for the above accident, then J.P.J. authorities stringent requirements for securing such a vocational license would have gone to waste.

All effort of the Road Transport Authorities would have gone down the drain.

To end this short but important article, being a driving instructor with over 40 years of experience and has also been involved in the Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu (K.P.P.) or defensive driving courses for many years now, my effort would have also ended up in a nought,

In short it would all have been wasted, so to say.

Just imagine, lecturing 5 hours per lecture on road safety and how to prevent road accidents from happening for 30 years, and finally to have a driver go on to beat the traffic light in seconds, is indeed a sheer waste of effort.

By | 2017-05-02T10:12:42+08:00 June 28th, 2010|Goods Drivers' License|22 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Hana June 29, 2010 at 10:18 am - Reply

    i have an unrelated question. I failed my JPJ road test. Can i do my retest in a different state than i did my first?

    thank you in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap July 1, 2010 at 10:04 am - Reply

      To test in another state, you ideally must get a letter from the present JPJ state you’re in to con firm you have been tested by them. Also bring along results of Part II (Slope / Parking) and Part III (Jalan Raya) with you.

  2. joey February 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm - Reply

    firstly, thanks for the informative blog. im thinking of getting a taxi license but i not so sure how to get about, do i required to obtain both GDL & PSV or only PSV to become a taxi driver?

  3. Hoss September 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply


    Very helpful blog. You by yourself are providing the greatest deal of information about driving and licensing in Malaysia, thumbs up!

    I have a question. If I want to hire drivers to drive 5 TON lorries for my company in Malaysia, (Gross Weight 5,000 kg, Kerb Weight 2140 kg) what licenses should I ensure the candidates hold? D + GDL of E + GDL or what exactly?

    Thanks and regards

    • Cikgu Yap September 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm - Reply

      Thanks for your kind and appreciative comments. I am very encouraged. Referring to your question, 5 ton lorries requires Class E and GDL driving licences.

      • Hoss September 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm - Reply

        Thank you very much Mr. Yap.

  4. Gerrick Chia November 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm - Reply

    Dear cikgu i m a singaporean holding international class 3 license. Juz wanna know can i drive a 1 ton lorry to ferry my own goods… pls advice tq. Because as stated in my idp its says (motor vehicles used for transport of goods having a permissible max wt not ex 3500 kg. Vec in tis category may coupled with a ligth trailer) pls advice
    regards Gerrick

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:21 pm - Reply

      Dear Gerrick, Transporting goods in Malaysia require a G.D.L (Goods Driving Licence). Above licence only for locals. Unless you are owning a Singapore registered company and licence from that island, you I believe will face constant checks by Malaysian authorities.

  5. raj March 11, 2015 at 8:59 am - Reply

    Is it possible for me to do my driving test in a different state because i might be going elsewhere for my studies …but i have already completed my driving classes

    • Cikgu Yap March 16, 2015 at 12:22 pm - Reply

      Yes, you can test in another state. Get a driving school to help.

  6. Ena Mohd May 14, 2015 at 10:43 am - Reply

    Dear Mr Yap,
    I want to take GDL license and I want to know the procedure, fees and requirement. Im holding CDL for D.
    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap May 15, 2015 at 3:42 pm - Reply

      Visit the nearest driving institute to you for assistance. The price is different from place to place.

  7. KC June 18, 2015 at 7:39 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am driving 14 seaters van for worker but i only possess a normal driving license, any problem?

    • Cikgu Yap June 20, 2015 at 12:23 pm - Reply

      Get a PSV license. Discontinue driving the van.

  8. gmea August 15, 2015 at 5:13 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu.
    I own a private car. But i like to drive and take passenger (prebet sapu) do you think if i hold a psv license apad and jpj can allow me to continue to do so.

    • Cikgu Yap August 19, 2015 at 11:23 am - Reply

      Your idea not applicable.

      • ejo August 21, 2015 at 8:07 pm - Reply

        I would like use my private own car to fetch ppl. How could it be legal? Get a psv license, send the car for puspakom every 6 months, get a car insurance that cover for passenger. Its that good enough? Is my car need to convert into commercial/ public transport vehicle? If yes, How to convert?

        • Cikgu Yap August 30, 2015 at 10:28 am - Reply

          Your idea not viable.

  9. Leia January 30, 2017 at 1:27 am - Reply

    Hi, I was wondering if a garbage collector truck can be considered a GDL vehicle category? Where or how do we categorize this type of vehicle, if it is involved in an accident with a private car? Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2017 at 10:48 am - Reply

      One way to the GDL is categorised is based on the weight of the vehicle. GDL licences are categorised into BTM 3500kg, BTM 7500, lori kejur and lori bersendi.

  10. Choongkl February 10, 2017 at 9:40 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu,
    I have a psv class d license for taxi. Can I drive a bus? If not, how can I get the license?

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 9:50 am - Reply

      PSV Class D license cannot drive a bus. Go to a driving institutes nearest to you for help.

Leave A Comment