How To Secure A Malaysian Public Service Vehicle License

Buses and taxis are examples of public service vehicles.

To use them, the public have to pay fares.

Buses are considered non personalized public vehicles.

On the other hand, taxis are known as personalized public service vehicles.

If you intend to drive a taxis or a bus, you should first have:

i) Class D driving license for cars to drive a taxi.

ii) Class E driving license to drive a bus ferrying 44 passengers.

Drivers holding the “L” or “P” licenses are not allowed to take up a Public Service License (P.S.V.).

Non citizens are also disallowed to apply for a P.S.V. license.

A driver should at least be 21 years before he is permitted to seek a P.S.V. license.

Besides this, a no nonsense person should also be of sound health and body.

He should also be free of any form of physical deformities as this will affect the safety of the passengers.

A person who wishes to secure a license to drive a public service vehicle must first submit the Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (JPJ) L8 for.

To download the JPJ L8 form, CLICK HERE.

Driving institutes obviously will also be able to supply you with one.

Registered clinics can medically check you.

The cost of a brief medical check-up costs anything from RM30 – RM50.

Do get a receipt for payment made.

The receipt is to verify that the doctor who checked you medically is a registered doctor.

Having completed your medical examination, what does a person intending to secure a P.S.V. license have to do next?

The next step is actually to register for a 2 or 3 days’ course.

This course is only conducted by driving institutes.

Normally, P.S.V. courses are conducted weekly or maybe twice a month.

It is best you find out from a driving school operator.

The course ends with a 50 questions objective test conducted by J.P.J. officials at the driving institute’s premises.

Another thing you should be informed of is, ensure that the institutes at which you are attending the course at has a taxi or bus available.

Candidates will be asked to under certain driving tests to find out your ability to drive.

As a driver who possesses a D or E class license, you should not have any difficulty handling the above said vehicles at all.

To pass the 50 questions objective test conducted at the end of the course, you will need 42 marks.

Assuming that you also passed the practical test, then you would have passed the entire exam.

You will now qualify to be given the P.S.V. license you have set out for.

Your driving instructor would be the best person to assist you getting your P.S.V. license.

What do you supply you instructor with to secure your P.S.V. license?

Supply him with:

i) 2 copies photocopied of your driving license.

ii) 1 copy of your MyKad (both sides).

iii) RM20 for your P.S.V. license.

iv) Service fee to do your license which can amount to RM5 – RM7.

v) The results of your objective test.

Within a week’s time, your instructor would most certainly be able to get your P.S.V. license ready for you.

Well, that’s about all on how to secure a P.S.V. license either for a bus or a taxi.

Should you possess any difficulty, contact and discuss it with your instructor.

By | 2017-04-28T22:41:55+08:00 February 17th, 2010|Driving License|48 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Cikgu Yap July 22, 2010 at 9:22 pm - Reply

    Glad you find the articles both educational and interesting. To answer your question, please read the following article ==> Operating A School Bus or Bas Sekolah In Malaysia

  2. CK Tan November 3, 2010 at 11:03 am - Reply

    I’m very interested in getting PSV license. May I know what is the fee for attending the 2 or 3 days course?I’m stay at Batu Caves, can you recommend the nearby driving instructor to me?Hope that can get your reply soon. Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm - Reply

      Fees for PSV differ from place to place. It should range from RM100 – RM150. There must be many instructor near to your area.

  3. jason February 22, 2012 at 11:47 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap. I want to convert my car to a kereta sewa pandu. Can I use the PSV license for minibus to drive the kereta sewa? Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap February 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm - Reply

      If your business is legally registered and you have got the authorities permission and your vehicle has undergone all the necessary tests / inspection, then your PSV badge can be used as a means to drive the van. Also do not forget the necessary insurance needed. All in all, it’s a long and tedious process.

  4. YCH April 18, 2012 at 10:29 am - Reply

    For Hotel Van that ferrying their guest with / without additional charges. Are they requiring having public service license (PSL)?

    If not Public Service License (PSL) is there any rules or regulation that the hotel need to adhere to for them to ferrying their guest?

    • Cikgu Yap April 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm - Reply

      A registered hotel should see to it that its clients are transported using proper registered vehicles which has insurance coverage and so forth. It’s important your drivers have the necessary PSV documents also.

  5. CP Lee July 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm - Reply

    Does the company driver need the PSV if the company van is used for carrying the company’s employees like going to the bank, meetings, etc ?

    • Cikgu Yap July 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply

      If the van has registered name of the company and logo on its door panels, you will need a PSV badge.

  6. Bety August 7, 2012 at 9:07 am - Reply

    I need to understand more on company employees van. Why should we need to apply the license? May I have more details about why we must apply license for our company van when we carry our employees from home to factory and from factory back to home?

    Your soonest reply on the above is highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap August 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm - Reply

      The company van ideally should be driven by a driver with PSV (Public Service Vehicle) badge. Passengers carried should have insurance coverage too.

      • Bety August 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm - Reply

        Yes, I do understand. But why must we apply licenses? What is the purposes and what is the reasons for us to apply employees van license if we were to carry our employees with the company van?

        I need your kind assistance and prompt respond by today.

        Thanking you in advance.

        • Cikgu Yap August 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm - Reply

          A company is a business entity carrying out a certain trade. Company vehicles, if they are intended to be used as a means to transport its workers or personnel is required by law by the Road Transport Department (RTD) to obtain its permission first before it is used to ferry passengers.

          The vehicle mentioned above will have to undergo Puspakom inspections, followed by 6 monthly inspections there after. The inspection ensure that the vehicle is in excellent condition thereby ensuring the safety of workers transported.

          Such vehicles should have the company’s logo, company’s name and address embossed on its door panels. Besides these, proper insurance has also be obtained.

          Furthermore, such vehicles will also bear Puspakom inspection disc on its front windscreen.The vehicles are also expected to have safety medical kits, a fire extinguisher and emergency triangle. The above are all the requirements which the Land and Transport Authority (SPAD) expects.

          Finally, the vehicle can only be driven by drivers possesses PSV badges. I hope this detailed explanation provided above will make you aware of the differences between an ordinary van as compared to one that has undergone the RTD approval. The one that has the RTD’s blessing in short, is therefore legal.

  7. CP Lee September 6, 2012 at 11:49 am - Reply

    My company vans eventhough have the company logo, address, etc does not need to go through puspakom inspection. We renew the road tax yearly. Are thse vans considered as commercial ? Do the drivers still need the PSV badge ?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

      I believe your company van should be examined once every six months. Best to inquire from JPJ the correct situation.

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

      I believe your company van should be examined once every six months. Best to inquire from JPJ the correct situation.

  8. HC Tan October 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap, I am not fluent in Malay language so can I attend the course and take objective test in English? Furthermore, any institute in Penang that offers such course?

    • Cikgu Yap October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm - Reply

      Most courses in bi-lingual. Computer test can be in English.

  9. Tan October 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

    How long is the PSV valid and what do I need to renew, if necessary.

    • Cikgu Yap October 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm - Reply

      PSV last 1 year. Get the necessary renewal form from a driving school. Then present yourself at a medical doctor for the required examination and attestment.

  10. Asdar Ali April 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm - Reply

    Can a Malaysian PR holder MYPRKAD may apply for psv licence

    • Cikgu Yap April 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm - Reply

      No reason why you can’t apply for a GDL license.

  11. Syed June 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm - Reply

    Hai , Mr. Yap
    I have attended my Psv classes sometimes ago.
    passed my exams and completed 5 driving lessons.
    but I have not gone for JPJ. road. test for my PSV.
    My question can still go for my PSV road test for after 7 months

    • Alan Yong June 22, 2015 at 1:28 am - Reply

      Dear Sir,
      The abovementioned “To pass the 50 questions objective test conducted at the end of the course, you will need 42 marks. Assuming that you also passed the practical test, then you would have passed the entire exam.” What do you mean by “practical test”? Is it by JPJ or by the school itself? I am a E FULL holder. I want to apply both GDL and PSV license. My friends said GDL just need objective test, whereas PSV need practical test. I am quite confused now.

      • Cikgu Yap June 24, 2015 at 12:06 pm - Reply

        You appear too confused regarding the entire process of getting a license. Try learning more about it.

  12. Sue August 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    Would like to know if one has a valid GDL license, what is the procedure to apply for a PSV license? If there is a need to attend courses for the PSV, can you please recommend me a driving school in PJ that offers this course.

    Thank you very much!

    • Cikgu Yap August 16, 2014 at 12:22 pm - Reply

      Attend necessary kursus, undergo required test and finally do amali test too.

  13. Godfrey September 2, 2014 at 8:13 pm - Reply

    I have an international drivers license can I use that to attend the Psv school to eventually obtain the Psv license ?

    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2014 at 7:15 pm - Reply

      Dear Godfrey, Foreign licence not valid to attend local courses.

  14. Kevin November 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm - Reply


    I am planning to run student transport business and I am the driver myself. I am driving a Toyota Avanza. I have a few questions…

    1. Can I run this with my Toyota Avanza, which is not painted in yellow as the traditional bus sekolah color?

    2. Based on your article, I need a PSV licence and the instructions are pretty clear. What about insurance? What insurance and how do I get it? How much will that cost?

    3. What else do I need to run this business legally?

    Thank you, Cikgu.

    • Cikgu Yap November 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm - Reply

      Dear Kevin, As explained to others who like to operate a transport service, it should be duly registered with the JPJ. Failing which, your attempts will be met by drastic actions by the authorities. TO run an illegal transporting students is just not worth the effort.

  15. mervin yap December 4, 2014 at 10:45 pm - Reply

    I am residing in KL ,can a singaporean use singapore license to apply for psv lisence?

    • Cikgu Yap December 6, 2014 at 5:59 pm - Reply

      Dear Mervin, PSV not for foreigners.

  16. Kathir December 15, 2014 at 1:59 am - Reply

    I wanted to know, that how to apply for school bus permit in Malaysia johor.
    I’m planning to buy school bus and start my business.
    Are there got any procuders need to be done?
    What is the requirements for applying permit?


  17. Zac February 5, 2015 at 12:21 am - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,

    I’m thinking to modify a bus to a family transport vehicle (like a mobile house), so it will not be public service vehicle, do I still need “E” license? Even it’s minibus?

    • Cikgu Yap February 6, 2015 at 8:57 am - Reply

      Your idea will face numerous problems from the authorities. Personally, I have yet hear about anyone successfully modifying a bus to become a home yet. Your idea is feasible, mini bus needs only D license only.

  18. Raveen April 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm - Reply

    Good day Cikgu Yap,

    My Lesen Memandu Kenderaan Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia was expired on 24/08/2008. How to renew it?

    • Cikgu Yap April 14, 2015 at 12:13 pm - Reply

      The above license becomes null and void after 2 years’ lapse.

  19. Loh May 7, 2015 at 10:24 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    I have a few questions after doing some googling but I cant find the answers: –

    i) Let say I would like to operate a limousine (currently my own car), it is of course I have to obtain the PSV license, assume that part is clear from your detailed explanation in the article. My question is: how do I start about getting the car to be registered with the relevant authorities (JPJ/SPAD etc) and how many are there?

    ii) is there a regulation where the car can only be commercial? I mean, I don’t see private limousines out there (like those Alphard, Vellfire) has their company name/logo, addresses displayed at the door panels.

    iii) can my current privately-owned car be used (or converted) to operate limousine service?

    Thank you in advance for your time.


    • Cikgu Yap May 9, 2015 at 1:54 pm - Reply

      Your intention not viable. Get a taxi operating permit first. Private enterprises like colleges, hotel etc can specially ask permission to run their own fleet of vehicles.

  20. Arash August 2, 2015 at 9:44 pm - Reply

    hi there
    hope u had blessed day
    i would like to drive van with all the licenses like Goods Vehicle Driving License (GDL) ?
    and also my driver he is foreigner , how i can get him the driving license ?
    warm regards


    • Cikgu Yap August 7, 2015 at 12:45 pm - Reply

      Foreigner cannot drive goods vehicles.

  21. Kendy Kuan August 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I have a driving license and I would like to be a private driver with my own car and is it necessary to apply for PSV license? If yes, how do I apply?



    • Cikgu Yap September 2, 2015 at 10:01 am - Reply

      Private cars do not need any other licences.

  22. Terry September 7, 2015 at 11:17 am - Reply

    Hi, I am a Uber driver. Latest T&C requires us to have a PSV license. Does it mean we have to paint our cars and put stickers like taxis once we get a PSV license? Uber is really a ride-sharing service so we are using personal cars. Any idea?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2015 at 3:53 pm - Reply

      Firstly, I am uncertain if Uber cars are illegal or not. To transport passengers, you obviously require a PSV license. Whether you need to put u a stickers and be painted like taxi is something you’ll have to ask the Road Transport Department.

  23. Superdriver January 11, 2017 at 5:52 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu, currently i have an mpv, i have registered my transportation company with ssm, i have PSV license, if i want to bring my business to go further, do i actually need to make it a sdn bhd company? With travel agency license and permits? Because i am not operating a travelling company but private transportation service, which steps should i take or should i just ignore and carry on even though i am planning to add on more mpv to my fleet

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 9:58 am - Reply

      Always better to register a sendirian berhad company. Best to operate any transportation business legally. I advise you to get a lawyer and get his advice.

Leave A Comment