How P License Holder Lose His / Her License?

Rather recently, an ex-driving student of mine, Eton, came to report to me regarding “loss” of his “P” license.

As the story unfolds, his purse had been “lifted” or stolen.

Inspite of my requesting him to be patient a few days longer, Eton being a young man, insisted I took steps to help him secure a Duplicate License immediately.

The cost for the above process came to roughly RM75.

One week later, when the license was ready, Eton came to my house and showed me his original license.

It has been found a few days earlier.

On a serious vein now, how does one lose his / her “P” license?

If one does not convert his / her “P” into a C.D.L. (Competent Drivers’ License) within a year of its “Probationary period” expiring, automatically, the “P” license becomes Null and Void.

There was a case of 2 other “P” students (both hardly 18 years old) who beat the red traffic lights in Shah Alam some 2 years back.

Luck was not with them that day. J.P.J. stopped them.

Both their licenses were suspended.

Both lost their “P” licenses.

Luckily, both were given exemption from the Highway Code, their “Pra Ujian” and given “Special Test” for their practical test doing the Part I (Slope), Part II (Side Parking & 3 Point Turn) and Part III (Jalan Raya) all over again.

Both spent over RM800 – RM1000 to do the test all over again.

Waste of time and energy.

But they deserved it anyway.

They had to lose their “P” license in such a manner.

Anyway, as you are aware, under the Demerit System, a “P” holder will lose his / her “P” license upon receiving 10 points within a year.

Another story tell of how a “P” license holder went on to lose her license.

She was a primary school teacher.

Yet, she was ignorant to such an extent she never knew she had to convert her P license into CDL.

Within 1 year of its expiry date, she claimed her instructor never told her the requirement.

So to all you driving instructors out there, do your duty to your students.

Do not assume all your students know “everything”.

Prevent such unnecessary thing from happening.

Up to date, the student concerned has yet to do her retest.

Will she be able to regain her “P” ever again?

As an instructor of so many years, I know it’s going to be a daunting task for her to pass her “P” license test again.

Who knows, she may never ever drive again.

What a pity indeed!

There are even some students who claim they were busy studying overseas.

And when they had completed their education, it was already too late.

How does one go along appealing to the authorities to get their license back?

As I mentioned earlier in the article, you can be exempted from certain parts of the test.

Whatever the reasons may be for you to have your license suspended or canceled, remember you are bound by Section 29 (i) (b) A.P.J. 1987.

Your license should not exceed 3 years after expiry.

Only then could you appeal.

As this article is mostly concerned with how a candidate goes on to lose his or her “P”, the mechanism of how one goes about appealing for exemption one’s license not to be suspended will be dealt in greater detail in a later article.

By | 2017-06-08T13:00:18+08:00 June 16th, 2009|License Suspension|25 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Charlyn June 26, 2010 at 2:14 am - Reply

    hey Mr.Yap..
    i wanna ask like i lost my “p” license already and if i m not mistaken, the expiry date of it is reaching. so what should i do to get my license???

    • Cikgu Yap June 29, 2010 at 12:08 am - Reply

      Take out your salinan P from nearest JPJ office. You have to pay a fine of RM20. No police report needed.

  2. helen June 27, 2010 at 11:38 pm - Reply

    I lost my ‘P’ driving licence two day ago. Cikgu Yap, what do I do? How much does it cost and how long do I have to wait for the new P?

    • Cikgu Yap June 29, 2010 at 12:00 am - Reply

      Get a duplicate P out at any nearest JPJ office. No police report needed. Can be done within 1 day. Cost of P is RM30 for 1 year, RM60 for 2 years and RM100 for 5 years. I think you’ll be fined RM20.

  3. Grace July 5, 2010 at 8:55 am - Reply

    Mr Yap, I lost my drivers license In December 2009 when I was abroad and when I returned to Malaysia I made a police report but I have been travelling so frequently I haven’t managed to look into this matter. I live in Puchong. Is it too late to obtain a new drivers license? And where should I obtain this? Can anyone assist me to get this done or must i personally go to JPJ. Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap July 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm - Reply

      A police report for lost licenses is not required nowadays. A good runner can assist you to get a duplicate copy of your license. Should you wish to do it yourself, go to the nearest state JPJ office.

      • Grace July 7, 2010 at 1:31 am - Reply

        Thank you for your reply. By the way, do you know of any good runner who can assist me?

        • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm - Reply

          Most driving school operator should be able to assist you.

  4. angelina July 11, 2010 at 4:44 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I posted something of a similar entry at another post, but I think this is a more relevant place because it has to do with my P license. My P license expired in 2008. I just want to make sure – do I have to go through every single thing again (Undang-undang, driving test) to gain it back?



    • Cikgu Yap July 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm - Reply

      Your P license has become null and void. You have to to to JPJ Putrajaya. JPJ will offer you a special test to be taken in 60 days. However, you’ll be exempted from Part I (undang-undang) test. You’ll have to do Part 2 and Part 3.

  5. LMX July 16, 2010 at 7:13 am - Reply

    Hi, I got into a road accident last evening, and it was purely my fault. I hit the back of a car. The victim’s car was only slightly scratched and the lamp was slightly broken.

    I went on to make the police report, and was requested to pay RM300 (Is that the summon?).

    My question is, I’m now holding a P-License, will it get suspended? Will I lose it? If so, how can I save it? Because I really didn’t do it intentionally.

    • Cikgu Yap July 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm - Reply

      Yes, RM300 is the summons amount. As your accident seems to be a minor offense, I don’t think your P is affected. Do not be unduly worried.

  6. Pizza August 10, 2010 at 10:00 am - Reply


    I just come back from Taiwan, and realize that my P license is expired about 3 years plus, is there posible to just renew the license?

    • Cikgu Yap August 10, 2010 at 9:08 pm - Reply

      Your license has become Null and Void. Go to JPJ Putrajaya. You will be given a special test to do Part II (Parking, Slope and 3 Point Turn) and Part III (Road).

      • Pizza August 11, 2010 at 12:51 am - Reply

        So do i need to pay for that? How much and how long will it take?

        • Cikgu Yap August 13, 2010 at 12:03 am - Reply

          I am unable to quote you the cost of taking your retest. I suggest you talk your driving school instructor. The procedure is time consuming.

  7. Shruti November 8, 2013 at 12:25 am - Reply

    Cigku Yap,

    I was driving a car registered under my father’s name and accidentally jumped a red light. A police summon was sent to my house asking for the details of the driver and a fine of rm 150 – rm 300. The thing is that it has been around a year and a half that i have had my p license and if I want to know whether if I mail the reply letter back with my details will I lose my p license? Please reply as soon as possible. P.S. The summon has already been paid online.

    Thank You,

    • Cikgu Yap November 11, 2013 at 9:41 am - Reply

      As your summons has been settled, I believe no action will be taken against your P license. Be careful next time. You may not be too lucky next time around.

  8. Manesh April 13, 2014 at 2:41 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap :)

    my “P” expired 3 weeks ago( 28th/03/2014 ) and was too busy with exams to renew it.
    can I still renew it now or do I have to resit for the whole test ? :O

    Your Truly
    A scared boy.

    • Cikgu Yap April 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm - Reply

      Quickly renew your P.

  9. Darren July 23, 2015 at 1:46 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    My P license expired at 2013 and did not renew it because I have been pursuing my studies at United States. I am completing my degree soon and will be going back to Malaysia. Is there anyway to renew it?


    • Cikgu Yap July 27, 2015 at 11:40 am - Reply

      Unlikely the taxi driver will take any action.

      • Darren August 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm - Reply

        Hello Cikgu,

        I do not understand. Could you clarify?


  10. Mandy September 5, 2015 at 6:06 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,
    I recently have been involved in a car accident where I have hit a car. I have been driving with my P license for 1 year and 2 months accident-free until recently. Will my license be suspended or revoked?
    Yours truly,
    A confused girl

    • Cikgu Yap September 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm - Reply

      A small incident will not cause your license to be revoked.

Leave A Comment