Can a Foreigner Apply For a Malaysian Driving License?

Malaysian driving license

Not only Malaysians, especially those who have reached the age of 17, are allowed to secure a driving license for cars (class D) and if they are 16, a B2 motorcycle license, even foreigners, such as Bangladeshis, Vietnamese, Indonesians and even foreign students from Nigeria, Sudan etc can infact secure a Malaysian driving license.

Besides students, I have frequently been asked by Malaysians, who have married ladies from mainland China, whether or not their “spouse” can indeed be allowed to secure a Malaysian driving license.

Just a few days ago, while busy painting the grille of my fence, a young Vietnamese girl aged about 25 years or so, inquired of me if I was indeed a driving” instructor.

Upon my letting the Vietnamese lady know the fact that I was indeed a driving instructor, she went to relate to me that she wants to secure a Malaysian driving license.

Is it possible, she wanted to know.

Further investigations into her background revealed a few astonishing things, albeit sad.

The Vietnamese girl informed me that:

1. She was married to a Vietnamese man who is working here.

2. She has the proper documents such as a marriage certificate and the necessary visa documents too.

3. The Vietnamese lady is infact working as a waitress at one large restaurant in Jalan Meru, Klang.

The Vietnamese girl, who talked to me about her intention and desire to get a Malaysian driving license, in reality, had all the qualifications necessary to secure a Malaysian driving license indeed.

But what the above foreign lady related to me further shocked and saddened me.

She told me that she had been cheated by no less than 3 unscrupulous driving school instructors, Malays, Chinese and Indians as well.

The Vietnamese girl had lost quite a large sum of money to them.

I then went on to advise her that today’s world is full of cheats, unscrupulous, and bad people, who will not fail to make a fast buck, especially upon foreigners like her.

How did the foreign Vietnamese girl come into such a dire predicament?

Driving school operators had infact promised to help her pass the Highway Code.

You see, foreigners working in this country usually come from poor financial standings back home in their native country.

In our country, Malaysia, they may very well be married to a fellow countryman.

They usually rent rooms here and as far as I know, live a very frugal and difficult life.

Their salaries, as a matter of fact, are not high.

But I believe, many of them work hard and long hours trying to etch out a decent livelihood here in Malaysia.

But these foreigners can easily be cheated by Malaysian businessmen.

If foreigners are lucky, they will end up making a small fortune from their hard toil they undergo here in Malaysia.

Eventually, some of them might be able to take home a small fortune after spending a few hard years of work in this “land of promise”, Malaysia.

Vietnamese, like all normal human beings, would also like to enjoy a little bit while they are here in our country.

They, I believe, would like to visit supermarkets, to go shopping, visit malls, our beaches like Morib Gold Coast, visit Genting Highlands, the island of the Pearl of Orient(Pulau Pinang) and even Cemeron Highlands to enjoy its cool and beautiful atmosphere, if they can!

But in order to do the above things that I have suggested, foreigners must first of all have access to cars.

They cannot possibly depend on our notorious public transport which is most unsatisfactory.

And to own cars, foreigners, especially a Vietnamese for example, must possess Malaysian driving licenses, first of all.

To buy a new or second hand car here in Malaysia, it is my belief is not beyond the reach of most foreign workers here in Malaysia.

A good and reliable second hand car, for example a 5 year old Kancil cost only around RM12,000 – RM15,000.

A 5 year old reliable second hand Proton car can be available at around RM15,000 – RM20,000.

Now let us come back to the questions of “can a foreigner working here in our country attempt to secure a Malaysian driving license?”

As I reiterated earlier on, the answer is indeed yes! But do tarry a while longer.

Allow me to finish my explanation first.

A foreigner, especially a Vietnamese for example, must be able to pass the Highway Code or “undang-undang” test in English or in Bahasa Malaysia.

The Highway Code is actually part I of our driving test conducted by the Road Transport Department.

Part II is incidentally, “going up the slope”, “side parking” and “3 point turn” maneuvers.

Part III is the “road test”.

The Vietnamese lady, who asked of me if she could learn to drive and secure a Malaysian driving license, a few days ago, while I was busy painting my garden fence, had wanted to know, if there were ways and means of helping her pass the Highway Code test.

I shall not proceed on to explain what the above statement means.

In driving school circles, this is indeed a “sensitive issue”.

It shall therefore not be broached here.

Not wanting to disappoint the Vietnamese lady about her request, I decided to give her my handphone number.

I infact asked her to call me a day later for my answer.

Without fail, the lady did call me one day later to get my reply.

I understood her anxiety and I would like to assist her if I could.

But in reality, my hands are tied.

Asking for advice from friends involved in this industry, I finally gathered information that a foreigner who wishes to secure a Malaysian driving license should ideally brush up his or her prowess in English and Bahasa Malaysia so as to enable them to pass the “Highway Code” test.

The answer which I eventually gave to the young Vietnamese girl who had the intent to secure a Malaysian driving license was, “do not use hanky-panky means”, as it would not be worth the while.

If checks should eventually be made into the manner in which a license holder has fraudulently obtained his driving license, stern actions will be taken against the wrongdoers by the authorities concerned.

I am uncertain as to whether the advice given to the Vietnamese foreigner will be heeded or otherwise.

In my heart of hearts, I hope it is taken heed of to avoid any unforeseen developments later on!

As such, I hope all foreign workers currently working in Malaysia, will take special heed of this article’s warning and refrain from attempting to secure a Malaysian driving license via “fraudulent” means!

Currently, I am tutoring an Indonesian Chinese lady how to drive. The above lady already possesses an Indonesian driving license. But due to reasons known only to the authorities alone, she cannot convert her license into Malaysian license.

And so, she has to attend the 5 hours Kursus Pendidikan Pemandu (K.P.P.), the 6 hours theory class, then do her Highway Code and take up practical driving classes all over again in order to get her Malaysian driving license.

By | 2017-05-18T09:58:33+08:00 May 3rd, 2011|Driving License|144 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Lex May 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    there was a buzz that people can use automatic transmission (AT) car for the practical driving tests. Any updates on this? Main reason is my American spouse (who never had a driving license in the US) just need to learn to drive my AT vehicle. Do you give driving lessons using AT cars?


    • Cikgu Yap May 23, 2011 at 11:26 am - Reply

      Your spouse has to obtain her “P” license via manual car. Auto won’t be implemented as yet.

  2. kevin June 11, 2011 at 10:38 am - Reply

    hi cikgu,
    my wife is a singaporean but with spouse visa to stay in Malaysia, can she learn her driving here? May i know where you located as im trying to find instructor to teach her. And also a question which need your expertise, can she drive a Malaysia registered car? As i read through the website, many said that Singaporean are not allow to drive Malaysia registered car.

    • Cikgu Yap June 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm - Reply

      Your spouse’s background is rather vague. With a visa and also married, I believe she qualifies to get a Malaysian license. Yes, she can drive a Malaysian registered car if she has a license. Singaporean can drive Malaysian registered vehicle.

  3. Jerald July 6, 2011 at 2:31 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu,
    i am a foreign student from china and i want to get the Malaysian license as

    well. As you mentioned in the article, a foreign student like me can also get the

    license here right? And should I take the the “Highway Code” test in English or

    Bahasa Malaysian also? Last, may i know where are you located as i am trying

    to find instructor. Thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap July 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm - Reply

      Foreign students can get a Malaysia license. You can take the Highway Code test in English.

  4. Vin July 19, 2011 at 9:05 am - Reply


    I am actually try converting my South African car license to malaysia as i need to work in Malaysia for 2 years however it has been rejected by JPJ.

    As per your experience, is this the rules and regulation i must convert to international before i enter Msia?

    Since i’m here, is that possible for me to apply a local license instead??

    Please advise, need to know urgently..

    • Cikgu Yap July 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm - Reply

      You should have got an IDL from your country before coming here. Malaysian authorities decided if your S. African license can be converted or otherwise. You could attempt getting a Malaysia license. However, it’s long process. It will need anything from 45 to 60 days.

  5. Yen February 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm - Reply

    Re: How can a Malaysian with a British driving license obtain a MYS driving license?

    Hi Cikgu,

    I have read some of your blogs and your replies and think that with your professionalism you may be the best person that can give me suggestions. I have tried to search for some answers on your blogs but perhaps my case is a bit “complicated”.

    I am a Malaysian residing in the UK and is expecting to be living in the UK for at least a few more years. I may be moving to other countries but not sure about the chance of moving back to Malaysia for good.

    I possess a valid Malaysian driving license (for around 10 years now) and I am thinking of converting my driving license to a UK one. To do so, I have to give up my MYS DL. The reasons that I want to convert it is to avoid the hassle and the cost of getting a new license here and also because that a MYS IDL can be used here for up to 1 year only.

    My questions are, how can I obtain a MYS DL in case if I need it again someday? Do I have to go through all the theory and driving tests again provided that I have a British DL? How much does it currently cost to obtain a DL?

    Your reply will be very much appreciated!

    Warm regards,

    • Cikgu Yap February 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm - Reply

      In my opinion, Malaysian licenses cannot be converted into British domestic license. Britain does not accept our licences for conversion, unfortunately. If looks as if therefore, that you’ll have to test for a British license if you want one.

  6. Susan February 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu
    Im Indonesian married to Malaysian. Im holding long term visit pass.
    Can i learn how to drive and get Malaysian driving license?Im nt holding any Indonesian driving license.
    Can i get from Johor Bahru as im staying here. Or i’ll have to get it from my husband hometown and also the place where i got my LTVP??

    Can advice roughly how much is the fee to learn and to get driving licence and estimated how long is the total process?


    • Cikgu Yap February 26, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

      Sorry to disappoint you but you have to have a marriage certificate if you intend to get a Malaysian driving license. A visa is not enough.

      • Susan March 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm - Reply

        Hi Cikgu,

        Thanks for the reply.

        Of course I have a marriage certificate. If not how can i get a LTVP??!!! =)
        So is that mean I can learn and get Malaysian driving License without a need to have Indonesian driving license?

        Where can i apply for that?can driving school help me to apply for it?can i get in my residing town or i have to get it from my husband town(as per his IC)?


        • Cikgu Yap March 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm - Reply

          With your marriage certificate, you can take up driving lessons. No Indonesian license is needed. Any driving school / institute can help you.

  7. gurumoorthi June 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm - Reply

    I am indian having a business in malaysia and i am 50% share holder in malaysian registered JB. I have India International driving licence. can i get my Indian international licence converted in to malaysian driving licence?

    • Cikgu Yap June 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm - Reply

      It’s possible Indian IDL can be converted to Malaysian license. Anyway, please confirm with our road transport department.

  8. Waneshi June 23, 2012 at 9:25 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu!

    I’m a Singaporean but i would to take driving license there but i’m not working or staying there.But i have a a few relatives staying there.Is it possible or not possible?

    • Cikgu Yap June 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm - Reply

      It’s possible to do your lessons here.

  9. Edward Liew August 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm - Reply

    Hi cikgu,

    my wife is a filipino and we are legally registered in malaysia, she has no prior experience in driving, but i would like for her to obtain her malaysia driving license. Can you recommend me an honest instructor or driving academy that i can go to? My location is damansara pj.. you can also email me edwardlcdy[at] ………appreciate your help tq

    • Cikgu Yap August 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm - Reply

      I’ll contact you through your email.

  10. Eva August 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I’m from spain with dual nationality (filipino-spanish) and i’ll be moving to malaysia to work, can you please recommend me a trustworthy and honest instructor and driving school , can you pls also let me know how long it will take and estimated cost to have a malaysian driving license? can i drive in malaysia using a philippine’s drivers license
    Thanks a million!

  11. Maher Waqas August 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu.
    i hope with the blessings of God u & ur family will b fine.
    brother i need some informations from u.
    I m from Pakistan and living in Bandar Baru Bangi.i came here just for living i m not doing any job here.just for living i take one construction visa.i m living here since 2 years.i have motorbike and i m driving daily by the Blessings of God police did not stop me since 2 i m thiking to buy car thats y now i think i need to get driving licence first because we dont know when the bad day wil come.plz tell me from where and how i can get license.
    Regards & Best wishes for u & ur family
    Maher Waqas.

  12. BR March 6, 2013 at 10:09 am - Reply

    My husband is from Nepal and he is working in M’sia and he don’t have any driving license. He is thinking to apply car driving licence in Malaysia. Is it possible to do so and what are document that he need to prepare.

    • Cikgu Yap March 6, 2013 at 11:41 am - Reply

      Everything has been explained in the article above.

  13. Richard May 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap

    Thank you for your informative blog. I have a question about converting a driving license.
    I have a British Driving License but it expired in March 2013!! do you think it is still possible for me to do a conversion to a Malaysian Driving license ? or do I have to do my license all over again ?

    • Cikgu Yap May 28, 2013 at 8:07 am - Reply

      Renew your British driving license first. Then you should have no problem converting it into Malaysian driving license.

  14. Fai May 28, 2013 at 11:42 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap,

    Lucky that I found your blog here. Thank you so much for the info.
    I am a Singaporean and I am moving over to Malaysia soon.
    I won’t be working there because I am currently working in Singapore.
    Just a quick question.

    How can I take a driving license in Malaysia ?
    for your info, I don’t have Singapore driving license.
    This is my first license.

    Thank you.

    Best regards,


    • Cikgu Yap June 2, 2013 at 7:59 am - Reply

      Foreigners including Singaporeans eligible to secure Malaysia licenses. Amongst other things, you should be at least 17 years old, know English or BM besides having your Singapore documents such as identity card or passport.

  15. Tarek September 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm - Reply

    We are on MM2H visa with my family. My wife would need to obtain a Malaysian driving license. She does not hold one from other country. She is Egyptian.
    Can you pls. Recommend an honest and experienced instructor (to use our or his car)?we live near Jalan Ampang and Desa Pandal. Any advice pls?

    • Cikgu Yap September 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm - Reply

      Hi Tarek, thanks for writing in. Our resident driving instructor will be able to assist with your wife’s driving lesson. I will contact you via your email to get your contact number.

  16. raafe July 1, 2014 at 3:15 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am Singaporean holding valid driving license. However, I was not allow to apply for motorcycle license in JB although I have been staying in JB for 2 yrs plus. Is there any possibility or way that I can apply my motorcycle license in JB? Thanks.

    • Cikgu Yap July 4, 2014 at 11:41 am - Reply

      I suggest you visit nearest JPJ office regarding your situation. I see no reason why you can’t get B license.

  17. Fazl August 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm - Reply

    Thanks for the info. As a foreigner I’ve got a class D driving license (actually converted my national license to a Malaysian one), what’s the procedure for obtaining a motorcycle driving license, if I have never had such a license? Thanks again

    • Cikgu Yap August 5, 2014 at 6:42 pm - Reply

      New regulations probably require you taking your rules test again all over.

  18. Eunice August 6, 2014 at 10:44 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    My partner is a Singaporean but living in Malaysia now. He do not have working nor student visa here. Based from what I’ve read, he can still get a driving license, correct?

    He would like to get a driving license here, can you recommend us a driving school that will be able to help us through?
    He do not have any driving license now although he used to have driving license in US.

    We are located in Cheras/Seri Kembangan area.
    Thank you so much in advance!

    • Cikgu Yap August 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm - Reply

      Will contact your email.

  19. Jackson Pang August 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm - Reply

    hi cikgu,

    my wife is indonesian with spouse visa living in malaysia, thinking getting driving license here. been driving with indonesian’s license for about 2 years + and about to expire. but since renewing her indonesia’s license is quite hassle requires go back and forth. I need to know if its worth to apply here or go back indonesia better. how much does it cost for a foreigner to apply one here?

    • Cikgu Yap August 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm - Reply

      I think it’s cheaper if she keeps renewing her Indonesian license.

  20. Amin August 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap,

    I am a Singaporean married to a Malaysian currently staying with my wife in KL Setapak. Is it possible to take a car licence here? I went to an agent for driving school but they insisted that I need to have a visa. I am not working here but staying on monthly basis where I need to detour monthly to get my passport stamped again.

    I did call up JPJ Putrajaya but they said I had no problem taking a licence and the marriage certificate is only needed if I wish to convert my licence. Now I am confused and wondering which agent will take me in. My wife is currently 2 months pregnant and I wish to get my licence as soon as possible before she is not able to drive. Please advise and help me recommend a driving school.

    Thanks in advance.

    • Cikgu Yap August 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm - Reply

      For KL area, please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  21. Dexter August 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm - Reply

    First of all, great blog :)

    My partner and I seem to be in the same situation as Eunice (above). Can you help us out with this as we would like to get them tires Spinning ASAP :D

    Thanks very much

    • Cikgu Yap August 24, 2014 at 12:04 am - Reply

      Dear Dexter, We’ll contact you soon.

  22. JYW September 17, 2014 at 11:49 am - Reply

    Hi Sir,

    Thanks for having a great blog .

    would like to enquire on this matter , my wife is a foreigner with spouse visa, recently we contacted a driving school to ask about the fees and we were quoted RM 2500 for everything.

    may i know how much exactly is the extra fees being charged for foreigners since locals are only charged about RM 1200 for a ‘D’ driving license.

    Thanks in advance!

    • Cikgu Yap September 20, 2014 at 8:32 am - Reply

      There are always unscrupulous people around to take advantage of the situation. Nevertheless, look around. I’m sure there exists honest instructors who will give you a fair deal.

  23. Daryl September 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm - Reply

    Hi I’m a Singaporean 24 year old. I was think to buy a car in malayisa. I will like to check can I get a malayisa liecnce in johar? If can. How to do it? Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap September 20, 2014 at 8:31 am - Reply

      You can buy a car in Malaysia. Find a reliable driving school in Johor to help you get a local driving license.

  24. aron lama October 2, 2014 at 5:06 pm - Reply

    hi sir
    i m from nepal I have a old driving licence of india. issue on 2005 and expired on 2008. can now I m in malaysia as foreign employee. I want driving licence just for motorcycle. can I exchange? or what is procedure n who much it will cost?

    • Cikgu Yap October 3, 2014 at 9:16 pm - Reply

      Get confirmation from Transport Department.

  25. Ivan November 3, 2014 at 12:27 pm - Reply

    Halo sir.
    Correct me if im wrong but im understanding from your explaination that a foreign student like myself can obtain a Malaysian license from scratch without having a previous driving license?

    • Cikgu Yap November 4, 2014 at 8:23 pm - Reply

      Dear Ivan, Yes, your contentions are correct.

      • Ivan November 7, 2014 at 11:14 am - Reply

        Thanks a lot sir,
        if it is not too much to ask, what are the procedures, and what will the costs for each stage be?

        • Cikgu Yap November 14, 2014 at 9:08 pm - Reply

          Best consult a driving institute for answers you need.

  26. Rigo Torres January 26, 2015 at 5:19 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Thanks for the information, it is indeed very useful. I’m having trouble as all driving schools are asking for astronomical amounts of money. I have a driver’s license from my country and I know how to drive (for more than 12 years) and I don’t see why I need to go to driving school. I don’t mind taking the test, it’s perfectly fine with me, I have been driving in Malaysia for 3 year already and I work here too. Is there any way I can take a self-sufficiency test? As in, learn the material myself to take the written test and then just go do the practical test and have my license? The schools are asking for a lot of money and to go to school and to drive with an instructor. I can’t do that, I’m at work and I don’t have time to be leaving to get a Malaysian License. Please, any help or options are greatly, greatly appreciated.


    • Cikgu Yap January 27, 2015 at 8:34 pm - Reply

      Many foreigners are not aware that most countries’ license can be converted into Malaysian license. So my advice is, don’t be hoodwinked. Go directly to JPJ office to seek advice if your license can be converted or not.

  27. Aathy January 29, 2015 at 7:22 pm - Reply

    Hi, I was just reading this article and it was really helpful. However i do have a few questions of my own for instance, I am a 19 year old, International study here in Malaysia and i have about 4 years of studies to go and travelling back and forth to Uni isnt easy, and since you say that it is possible to get a license in Malaysia, are there any specific required documents that i should bring up when wanting to apply for a licence? And if I was to attend the lecture will it be in English? And how long does it usually take to get a licence so that I can start driving normally?

    Thank you!

    • Cikgu Yap January 31, 2015 at 9:28 pm - Reply

      Get an institute or instructor to help you. Some institute do English courses. A few months needed!

  28. Henna Naseem January 31, 2015 at 9:15 pm - Reply

    Hello cikgu,
    I’m a Pakistani living on a dependent visa since my dad has a business here. I’m already 19 and want to apply for a driving license. Is it possible to do it without being a student and just being a dependent?

    • Cikgu Yap February 1, 2015 at 12:39 pm - Reply

      Yes. It’s possible. If you want, I can get one of our resident driving instructor to contact you. Where are you located?

  29. Reza February 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm - Reply


    I am a student now in Malaysia, I’m Iranian.
    I would like to get a driving license here, can you recommend me a driving school?
    I do not have any driving license now.

    I am located in Cyberjaya area.
    Thank you so much in advance!

    • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2015 at 7:27 pm - Reply

      Foreigners can apply for a Malaysian driving license. Will be contacting your email.

  30. Dr. Md. Mizanur Rahman February 16, 2015 at 1:26 pm - Reply

    I am a Bangladeshi national and recently moving from Finland to Malaysia for a University Job in Johor Bahru. I am looking for possible ways to get a car Driver’s licence within a possible minimum time. Currently I do not have driving licence and indeed i never drive a 4 wheeler, however, I drive motor bike few years back. Could you please provide me supports for obtaining a car driving licence within a earliest possible time, I would be very grateful.
    Thanking you.

    • Cikgu Yap February 16, 2015 at 7:32 pm - Reply

      Thanks for writing in. Will be contacting you via your email for further discussion.

  31. farzana February 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,
    I’m a Bangladeshi student. I’m here with my husband. we both are doing diploma here. Can we get driving license here ?? Well, we have all proper documents but we dont have driving license from our own country ? Can we learn driving here ?

    • Cikgu Yap February 25, 2015 at 8:48 pm - Reply

      Both of you can possibly get your licences here.

  32. Tin March 8, 2015 at 7:41 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I am a Filipino planning to get married to a Malaysian local in Kuching. Can I apply for a driving license with just a social visit pass? We are currently processing all the requirements for the wedding before the year ends.


    • Cikgu Yap March 24, 2015 at 9:54 pm - Reply

      Social visit pass not allowed to get a licence. Get married first.

  33. Mick March 22, 2015 at 6:20 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu.

    An interesting post. Thanks. Indeed there are always cowboys out there in every country.

    I’m Irish/Ireland married to Malaysian.

    So it may be possible to convert my IE Driving License to a Malaysian one? “JPJ” can advise. But where is the right JPJ address? (I live in Puchong, Selangor).



    • Cikgu Yap March 24, 2015 at 9:52 pm - Reply

      Your comments appreciated. Irish licence can be converted here. JPJ offices available in Petaling Jaya, Padang Jawa and Wangsa Maju.

  34. hideki yanagawa April 6, 2015 at 1:03 am - Reply

    Thank you for writing this blog was alot of help so my question is I’m originally from japan and I do not poses a licence because public transport here is really convenient and ill be moving to malaysia to study but not so sure where yet ill be given a 90day visa as a tourist which ill use to browse around n find a school and was wondering during that time if ill be able to acquire a malaysian licence since ill be there for a long time like maybe 3 years and if its possible how much will it cost and where about can I go to obtain the highway code ?? Thanks so much again

  35. ashok April 23, 2015 at 10:34 am - Reply

    Hi Cigu,

    This is Ashok here from India. I married to a Malaysian girl and having a proper Indian Driving License but I want to convert that license in Malaysian Iicense. I stay here in Kedah (kulim Square), Please could you let me know what documents i have to submit in JPJ so that i can get my license?

    Thanks in Advance

  36. Yus zufar May 11, 2015 at 1:31 am - Reply

    Im a singaporean that live in malaysia for like my whole life but i got no student visa or anything relevent in thos country . From the comment And the reply i know that i can take licence in malaysia but how is the process ? Must i bring anything along .

    • Cikgu Yap May 11, 2015 at 11:09 pm - Reply

      Use your Singapore identity card to get a Malaysian driving license.

      • Yus zufar May 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm - Reply

        So i just bring my ic to any driving school itzit ? Thank you very much .

      • Yus zufar May 28, 2015 at 3:53 am - Reply

        I cant register to taking driving license in this country the bunga raya driving school reject me cos im a singaporean. What should i say to them ??

        • Cikgu Yap May 30, 2015 at 12:38 pm - Reply

          If that is the case, take your driving license in Singapore.

  37. Beam May 25, 2015 at 11:29 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    Your perseverance in anwsering everyone’s questions is admirable.

    I’m British and I have a UK car driving license. I’m on a tourist visa going out of and back into Malaysia every three months. I also rent a property here and have a small business. The authorities obviously have no problem with this and I can drive a car on my tourist visa. However, I need a B2 motorbike license (I don’t have a UK one) for business and I can’t get one unless I have a six month visa which I can’t get until business has been running for awhile. Do you know any legal way around this? It’s absurd that I can start a company here, rent a property, come in and out of Malaysia yet I can’t get a motorbike license.

    Thank you for your help.


    • Cikgu Yap May 26, 2015 at 3:15 pm - Reply

      We inherit our rules and regulations from the British. It’s an irony that you could do almost anything in Malaysia except get a B license with a tourist visa.

  38. syed navas May 25, 2015 at 6:10 pm - Reply

    Dear sir,

    I am Indian national. I married Malaysian citizen in Malaysia. I don’t have any driving license . I need Malaysian driving license.i am living in masjid tanah near melaka. I read many website about getting driving license in Malaysia but I found only this site gives lot of good I am asking your help can u pls guide me how to get my new license.which driving school is better and cost is less and I only know pls help me .

    Thanking you,
    Best regards,

    • Cikgu Yap May 28, 2015 at 12:09 pm - Reply

      Look for an institute nearer to you.

  39. Sankar Amirthalinga Chandran June 1, 2015 at 11:26 pm - Reply

    I am sankar and 38 Years old. I am indian and physically challenged person. How can i get the driving license in malaysia. Is it required disabled certificate from university hospital. How to get the certificate.Please advice.

  40. Raj June 14, 2015 at 1:12 pm - Reply

    Good afternoon,

    I am married to an Indian national and we have registered our marriage here as well as obtained a long term social visit pass for my wife. My wife would like to drive here, so my question is 2 fold:-

    a) she has an Indian driving license already, can this be converted to Malaysian ? Is the process straightforward?

    b) My wife is not so comfortable driving here yet, she would like to take up lessons with an English speaking instructor. Do you have any to recommend in Cheras area?

    Thank you

    • Cikgu Yap June 15, 2015 at 11:09 am - Reply

      Thanks for writing in Raj. Here are your answers.

      a) To convert a foreign driving license to a Malaysian driving license, JPJ has certain condition which has to be fulfilled. It is best you go to a JPJ office to get their feedback.

      b) For refresher lesson, will be contacting you soon through your email.

  41. Kat June 24, 2015 at 9:23 pm - Reply

    Hi Sir,

    My husband is Irish and we both live in Singapore. I’m Malaysian. His Irish license already expired. As we hardly go back to Ireland. Is it possible for him to get a Malaysia driving license like any of us? He will be on social visit visa but we have Malaysia marriage cert. thank you.

    • Cikgu Yap July 1, 2015 at 1:10 pm - Reply

      It’s my opinion your hubby can get a Malaysian license, doing it in JB.

  42. Riduan July 28, 2015 at 4:07 pm - Reply

    Hi Sir,

    I’m from SG studying in MY and already have a Class 3 license for driving cars from SG.
    However I would like to get a motorcycle license but driving schools here state that I cannot do so since I already have a car license from SG.

    It would be convenient if I could travel by bike as I have no transport here in MY.

    Could you please advise?


    • Cikgu Yap August 7, 2015 at 12:34 pm - Reply

      You can attend KPP course for motor and then sit for Highway Code.

  43. Edward July 28, 2015 at 5:05 pm - Reply

    Cikgu, I need some advise.
    I have a foreign co-worker and not many times ago they bought a malaysian driving license from somewhere and they swear it’s genuine.
    It’s the new type with hard plastic, complete with their address (but I think it doesn’t exist).
    It’s very similar to the one issued by jpj and they claimed jpj has record of it in their database.

    Problem is recently our HR confiscated all of these and they want to make new by going jpj and claim it was ‘missing’. Can really do this or not?

  44. Oi Leng July 31, 2015 at 12:41 am - Reply

    Good Day to both,
    First and foremost, I really like the personal touch of this driving blog and the loads of tips and information you’ve shared. Very enlightening indeed. :)
    I am a Singaporean living in KL. I hold a Singapore driving license but have not been driving for the past 6 years, not in Singapore nor in Malaysia. I’ve only tried driving about 10 times ever since I acquired the license. I am not a confident driver and have fears of it. However, I find myself handicapped in Malaysia if I do not drive.
    I really wish to overcome my fears and equip myself with good driving skills.
    Can you please help me? Can you recommend if I should take a refresher course or go through the entire course for a Malaysian License? I work at Kota Damansara, can you recommend a patient instructor for me?

    Thank you very much.
    Hope to hear from you soon

    • Cikgu Yap August 16, 2015 at 12:40 pm - Reply

      Will contact you via your email.

  45. satiq August 10, 2015 at 4:42 pm - Reply


    Thanks a lot for your great info. I am indian and married a Malaysian girl on may. As per new regulation in emigration office I have to wait 6 months from the date of marriage to get the spouse visa. So that now I have only the long term social visit pass (6 month). Now as I understand from your previous reply since I have the marriage certificate I can get the Malaysia DL rite?. If I am correct please let me the best driving school who can teach me in English or Tamil in Bayan baru -penang. And if possible please let me know how long it will take to get that DL and fees terms.

    thanks in advance


    • Cikgu Yap August 11, 2015 at 9:06 am - Reply

      Please contact Metro Driving Academy.

  46. Kestrel October 2, 2015 at 4:12 pm - Reply

    i am a foreigner without any driving license in my country. i am a syrian by the way. how do i apply for one? i do not want to sit for any examination. am willing to pay for the driving license. if you can get me one, do drop me a line.

  47. Jane November 1, 2015 at 1:12 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu,
    I am a new student at …University in KL. Iam attending Intensive English course before taking department of Law. I know I should take the Highway Code test first in order to take Malaysia license later.
    So may I ask which standard English they’ll require and what documents I need to show. Besides that, I have Vietnamese motorbike licence, I am wonder if I can use it for riding and owning a bike here?
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

    • Cikgu Yap November 17, 2015 at 6:48 pm - Reply

      Vietnamese motor license usable here. Also to own a bike too.

  48. Jane November 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm - Reply

    Now, I would like to learn from beginning to get driving license. So where I can take course and is there any class on Saturday and Sunday?
    Please advice in details.
    Thank you

  49. zhiwei December 6, 2015 at 6:00 pm - Reply

    i am a singaporean i am currently working in sg but i am staying in jb. i read back quite a few comment that stated that singaporean citizen can apply for malaysia driving licience. but i need t get licience fast as i need it to travel in jb. if i went back sg to take the licience it will take me months to get my licience. Mr yap can you please advise me what should i do. thanks alot.

    • pearl December 30, 2015 at 3:14 pm - Reply

      For sg you can get license in malaysia but cannot convert to sg afterwards unless you have reason for long stay in malaysia(like how i’m studying long term: more than 6 months/1 year in malaysia). I’m a sgrean and got my license here too, but i have valid reason for conversion to sg license after I go back.

  50. Linda January 6, 2016 at 3:43 pm - Reply

    I am an Indonesian married to a Malaysian, currently living in Singapore as Permanent Resident. We have a marriage certificate done in Malaysia, but I occasionally come back to KL on a social visit pass only. Can I learn driving and obtain a Malaysian driving license?

  51. Bari January 8, 2016 at 9:51 pm - Reply

    I had an international driving license until i lost it a few days ago unfortunately. I have filed a F.I.R. I would like to seek advise on whether or not with that paper i could secure a local motorbike driving license??

  52. Shashi February 22, 2016 at 3:10 pm - Reply

    Good afternoon.

    I have three (3) office colleagues, foreigners who would like to learn driving and take-up a Malaysian DL so that they can drive whilst they are working here.

    The concern is that their BM language proficiency is limited.

    Please advise on the following,

    1. KPP course
    2. driving school in KL able to teach in English.

    Thank you so much.

  53. Cassy February 23, 2016 at 5:05 pm - Reply

    Hello! I am from Philippines and for now I am holding social visit pass, because my employer is processing my professional visa at the moment, so my question is am I qualified to get a malaysian driving license here in Malaysia even I am still holding a social visit pass?

  54. Lily See February 26, 2016 at 2:34 pm - Reply

    Good Day,

    i have a question, my husband is a Burmese, Myanmar Citizen and i’m a Malaysian citizen, can he get a Malaysian car licence? Not all the Driving licence company will teach the foreigner right? Coz i had ask a company of a instructor do they teach the foreigner, but he say nope. He’s holding a visa with multi entry. i know the charges quite expensive for foreigner who want get a car licence right?

  55. Agnieszka May 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm - Reply

    Good day,
    I have a question. My husband passed driving exam 3 months ago, but every time when he is going to driving school to check if license is ready, they say next week and next week, and they don’t speak English, so we cant get detailed explanation. From your experience how long does it take from exam to receiving license. How can we check if some documents are missing or where to call. My husband is Polish, with working visa here.

  56. Liew Tung Hoe May 27, 2016 at 8:35 pm - Reply

    I am a Malaysian on a ‘Dependent Pass’ staying in S’pore and holds a S’pore driving licence. When applying for the S’pore driving licence, I had to get a clearance letter from JPJ. My Malaysian licence will be expiring next month (5 years) and I found out that I am unable to renew my Malaysian driving licence ‘online’. It indicated ‘blacklisted’. I do not believe I have committed any traffic offence. Could it be that you are not allowed to hold both a Malaysian and a S’pore driving licence at the same time?
    Thanks and kind regards

  57. yong July 11, 2016 at 11:29 am - Reply

    Hi cikgu yap
    i have a question, my wife is a Burmese, Myanmar Citizen and i’m a Malaysian citizen, can her get a Malaysian car licence? But the question is she dunno know read malay and English, Chinese language, i worried the theory test. please advice. thank you

  58. SHIEK DAUD August 20, 2016 at 7:03 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu

    I have question i am singaporean but we stay in JB for my mum medcial purpose so we rented a house for agreement of 1 year and we would extend further as we wanted to stay in JB for long term. so i am planning to get an malaysia licenese am i elgible for it?

    • Cikgu Yap November 1, 2016 at 10:56 am - Reply

      Yes, you can get a Malaysian driving license.

    • Majumder November 22, 2016 at 1:16 am - Reply

      I am a Non-Malaysian, residing now in the UK. I worked in the Malaysia from 2001-2004 and my driving license expired in 2005. Can I renew my driving license now? please let me know.

  59. Nik November 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm - Reply

    I went to test.. I stopped going driving classes due to my studies and at that time only qti left so I asked my instructor when can I go.. He said your kpp2 already expired do you have to pay the course RM360. My license expired because it’s been a year but after I renew he said my kpp2 is expired.. Is it true.. Well not 2 years yet!

  60. Le Viet Hai November 23, 2016 at 10:48 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu.
    I’m from Vietnam, and I’m studying in Malaysia. I have Vietnam license motorcycle, it has also Vietnamese and English. Now I want to buy a motobike in here. Today I went to JPJ and asked them, but they said only people who study PhD can conversion license (With Vietnamese). So what can I do? Can you give me some advise? Thanks!

  61. Sandra Mariana Soars January 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm - Reply

    Good evening, Cikgu.

    Can my Boss who is working here (on work permit), holding a British Driver’s License (Normal – not International) apply for a Malaysian Driver’s License?

    • Cikgu Yap March 27, 2017 at 3:30 pm - Reply

      Hi can use his Brithis license to drive in Malaysia.

  62. Jern January 16, 2017 at 5:10 pm - Reply

    Hello, Cikgu,

    My husband from Netherlands wants to get a Malaysian Driving license, he do not hold a foreign driving license. We are married in Malaysia. He is currently waiting for the Long term visit visa, can he go for a driving license in malaysia? I am currently helping him to look for a driving academy. Hope you can help.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2017 at 10:55 am - Reply

      As a PR, he can apply for a Malaysian driving license.

  63. keith lee February 22, 2017 at 11:08 pm - Reply

    hi cikgu,
    i am a singaporean who has bought a house in malaysia [but not under mm2] and is a majority shareholder in a Sdn Berhad . i do not have a driving license in singapore but would like to learn driving in malaysia.
    am i allowed to take the driving exams in malaysia n if i pass the high way code n driving test, will i be able to get the driving license in malaysia?
    i have asked about this matter with a few driving schools n they are not sure. looking forward to your reply.
    thank you very much

    • Cikgu Yap June 27, 2017 at 10:52 am - Reply

      Answer to all of your queries is Yes!

  64. paul williams March 4, 2017 at 10:47 am - Reply

    I am a UK passport holder, 46 years old. Currently live in Thailand and I hold a Thai car and motorbike license and also a UK driving license. I am moving to KL in May/June and would like to secure a Malay driving license. I have been driving for almost 30 years. How do I obtain the licenses?

    • Cikgu Yap May 3, 2017 at 12:32 am - Reply

      Go to your state JPJ office and request to convert your UK driving license to a Malaysian driving license.

  65. Wengyan March 9, 2017 at 6:35 pm - Reply

    My boyfriend is Thai and he is working in KL. He has a driving license obtained from Thailand.If he wish to ride motorcycles here. Does he need to take the test or just simply convert the license to Malaysia’s license?

    • Cikgu Yap May 3, 2017 at 7:57 pm - Reply

      Not sure if JPJ allows Thailand license to be converted to Malaysian license. Go to JPJ office and make enquiry. If he cannot convert his license, he has no other choice and has to go through the process to acquire a local driving license.

  66. Lim GL March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am - Reply

    My husband is from Portugal and we have been living in KL for more than 3 years. He has a spouse visa and a driving liecense from Portugal but unfortunately non-convertible. He would like to get a local driving liecense. Please advice.

    • Cikgu Yap May 3, 2017 at 7:53 pm - Reply

      Application process for a Malaysian driving license by foreigners is the same as local. Just go to the nearest driving institute and do his application.

  67. Khalid March 27, 2017 at 12:41 pm - Reply

    Cikgu, Will,

    Thanks a lot for the information you continue to provide your readers with. Love the idea of this blog as well as your storytelling writing style.

    I’ve been traveling since the age of 16 so I haven’t had much time to get a driver’s license – I’m 27 and married now! If I have the time, I would like to get my license later on this year. Having read your ‘about’ section, as well as your posts, I’m convinced that I should seek your expertise.

    Could you please email me your rates and the estimated time/schedule, if any? Keep in mind that I’m a foreigner on a spouse visa, married to a Malaysian.

    Thanks in advance!

    • Cikgu Yap March 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm - Reply

      Our driving institute is based in Klang. If you are staying in Klang town area, we can help.

  68. sheryll April 11, 2017 at 11:12 am - Reply

    A blessed day Sir/Madam
    Im a filipina and i have a working permit here as a employers are expat and alwys ask me to use their motorbike as my service to come and go back home but im scare to drive wothout licence coz i dont want to do any violation.. is there any chance that i could have a motorbike licence…
    thank u so much…. Sheryll from Masai

    • Cikgu Yap April 15, 2017 at 12:00 am - Reply

      Foreigners can apply to get a Malaysian driving license. Just go to the nearest driving school or driving institute to apply and test for the license.

      • Hello May 24, 2019 at 10:51 pm - Reply

        May I know what are the documents required to register for a foreigner who wish to get a Malaysian license?

        • Cikgu Yap May 25, 2019 at 12:42 pm - Reply

          A work permit or a visa are important documents.

  69. Malik October 27, 2017 at 4:50 am - Reply

    Hi if i have a USA valid driving license can i convert to malaysian driving license

    • Cikgu Yap October 28, 2017 at 8:40 am - Reply

      You can convert your USA driving license to Malaysian driving license, but there are certain procedure you have to go through which are set by JPJ.

  70. Glenn April 12, 2018 at 12:50 pm - Reply

    Hi. Can my Filipino maid to take the Malaysian driving test to obtain a Malaysia driver’s license?

    If so will she be able to convert it into the Philippines driver’s license when she goes back?

    Thank you

  71. Joycee May 14, 2018 at 8:17 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu,

    I’m a Singaporean but intend to learn driving in Penang as I travelled to Penang often and will settle down in Penang in the future. I am quite in a dilemma as I do not know where should I learn driving. I would much prefer to learn in Penang as it is much cheaper, faster and can understand Malaysia’s traffic rules and roads. I also have a car in Penang and not intend to drive in Singapore. I am going to take Automatic classes but can I apply for international license in case I want to drive overseas? I heard that Auto license are not eligible to convert. I also worry that I cannot get an English instructor for my lessons and exams. I am hoping to get registered in June, attend classes in Sept and hopefully can settled all by Dec as those are the months that I will be in Penang for a longer period. Just want to hear your suggestions on this. Thanks.

  72. Mona November 8, 2018 at 9:27 am - Reply

    Hi, I’m an Indonesian woman from Bandung, married to a Malaysian. I have been holding Malaysian Driving license for almost 15 years now. I’ve been living in KL for about 17 years. I actually already got an Indonesian driving license when first time I came to KL but i didn’t drive so much especially when i was in my pregnancy so by the time i was going to drive few years later, my driving license went expired.

    I was suggested to take a driving class all over again here in KL since there was no way my expired Indonesian license to be converted.
    There were no problems at all for foreigners to get a malaysian driving license. Just follow the procedure given by JPJ.

    I registered at a driving school near my house that there was only manual car license and soon i was placed in a class. They charged me RM800 (back in 2004)
    I passed the highway code test straight away, passed in parkings but i fail in road test once due to miscommunication i guess.
    So to take another road test it was necessary for me to pay another extra rm50.

    During my class/test i noticed there were foreigners too. Some are workers, some are spouses of expats living in KL (my expats wife friends also took driving class in KL).
    To me it was no problems to follow the class and exams for Indonesians since the explanations and exams are delivered in Bahasa Malaysia which is undrstood by Indonesians in general. But for people from other countries with different language it’s very crucial for them to learn Bahasa Malaysia first so then they can follow class and understand the traffic rules and proceed with exams.
    That’s all from me and thanks.

  73. Omar May 3, 2019 at 2:43 pm - Reply

    Hello. I am a University Student in Miri.
    I want to ease the burden on my dad and earn for myself a little. I thought of driving GRAB and earn a bit. I do have a license from Pakistan. It’s of the main capital. For some reason the Islamabad (capital) license is given a lot of importance in Pakistan (my background).
    I wonder if it can be used here in Malaysia?
    Or I can aquire a new license based off my current one?
    Any ideas?

    • Cikgu Yap May 3, 2019 at 3:24 pm - Reply

      Foreigners are not allowed to drive transport vehicles here.

  74. Tyler Dykstra May 8, 2019 at 12:55 pm - Reply

    I am living in Malaysia on the 90-day tourist visa, but I want to get a motorbike license. I do not possess one in my home country(USA) although I have an international drivers(car) license. Is there any way to get a motorbike license or drive a motorbike legally in my situation? Thank you!

    • Cikgu Yap May 8, 2019 at 3:34 pm - Reply

      Tourist not allowed to get motorcycle licence.

  75. Max Chua May 24, 2019 at 5:17 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap. I need your service for my rental tenant from China which she is studying here. She just reach 17 years old and will be continuing her study here. She ask me to help find driving instructor. Can you be her instructor?

    • Cikgu Yap May 25, 2019 at 12:45 pm - Reply

      She is qualified to apply for driving licence. Sorry, this instructor is unavailable.

      • Max Chua May 30, 2019 at 4:23 pm - Reply

        What if not fully 17 years old? Can he/she go through theory first then when age 17 only go for the practical.

        • Cikgu Yap June 1, 2019 at 7:19 pm - Reply

          The answer to your question is NO, reach seventeen first.

  76. Grace July 22, 2019 at 11:51 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu, I have a Maid Visa but i dont have a Philippine driving license.Can i get a Driving license here in Malaysia?Can u recommend which driving here in Serdang ?
    Thank u…

    • Cikgu Yap July 25, 2019 at 4:45 pm - Reply

      A work visa enable you to get a driving licence. Go to any good institute. They will be able to help.

Leave A Comment