List Of Licenses Issued By The Malaysian Road Transport Department

The JPJL6 lists the driving licenses that are issued by the J.P.J. (Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan) or Road Transport Department.

I always felt the above list was self explanatory until one of our blog reader wrote in to comment that he wished to be given a satisfactory explanation regarding the list of license therein.

Please be informed in this article, two Bahasa Malaysia “terms” are used extensively. They are:

i) S.P. – Sentimeter per segi

ii) B.T.M. – Berat Tanpa Muatan

1) Class A Disabled person’s license for motorcycle and cars.

2) Class B – Motor license for motor cycles (501cc + above) or “Super bikes”.

3) Class B1 – License for motorcycles 251 cc – 500 cc.

4) Class B2 – License for motorcycles below 250 cc.

5) Class C – Three wheeled motorcycles.

6) Class D – Motor car B.T.M. weighing not more than 3000 kg.

7) Class E – Heavy motor car B.T.M exceeding 7500 kg.

8) Class E1 – Heavy motor car B.T.M. not exceeding 7500 kg.

9) Class E2 – Heavy motor car B.T.M. not exceeding 5000 kg.

10) Class F – Tractor / light movable machinery (with wheels) B.T.M. not exceeding 5000 kg.

11) Class G – Tractor / light movable machinery (with chains) B.T.M. exceeding 5000 kg.

12) Class H – Tractor / heavy movable machinery (with wheels) B.T.M. exceeding 5000 kg.

13) Class I – Tractor / heavy movable machinery (with chains) B.T.M. exceeding 5000 kg.

Please note that vehicles E, E1 and E2 refers to lorries and trailers.

By | 2012-09-22T10:30:10+08:00 November 3rd, 2009|Driving License|16 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Rick April 21, 2010 at 1:10 am - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, just to enquiry something with you
    If i want to have a van licence for own use, what should i do and which 1 should i choose for it? E1 or E2?
    What is price for B full test for your driving school?
    Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

    • Cikgu Yap April 22, 2010 at 2:11 am - Reply

      Ordinary cans like Datsun C20 or 22 requires only D (cars) license.

      It has been a time since I did a B Full. Give and take the cost now should be around RM500 – RM600.

  2. Fed September 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm - Reply

    Hi Mr. Yap

    Just wondering. Is there a minimum age limit for the B1 license?


    • Cikgu Yap September 3, 2010 at 8:51 am - Reply

      B1- age limit is 16 years old.

  3. kay September 4, 2010 at 11:01 am - Reply

    Okay i have a my B2 license (motor) 3 years ago and i took it when i was 16,
    now, I was wondering If B2 class Motor Can Ride a 250CC motorbike?for example (Ninja 250 RR).
    Thank you ^_^

    • Cikgu Yap September 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm - Reply

      B2 motor license allowed to ride a 250cc machine.

  4. Liew C S May 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm - Reply

    Cikgu Yap,
    What license is required to tow a light trailer or wagon?

    • Cikgu Yap May 10, 2012 at 11:39 am - Reply

      It’s my opinion that a D license can be used to tow a light trailer or wagon. Ideally, do get JPJ advice regarding requirements which has to be fitted to the trailer and wagon to be towed.

  5. Mr Ching October 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap, I would like to verify something that I heard from the internet that Malaysian Driving Schools are moving towards online / multimedia e-learning method of training students. When I attended my Class D training in 2001, I also heard of something like this as at that time, we had exams in a graphic / computerized method. Kindly let us know that about the e-learning progress.
    Looking forward to your expert opinion.
    Mr Ching

    • Cikgu Yap October 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

      Unlike other types of business, the driving school is slowly but surely moving more towards online and elearning methods of training our students. Firstly, students of today are exposed to computerised tests compared to former objective tests using 2B pencils. Certain institutes students, after attending their 5 hour KPP nowdays sit for their Highway Code test the same afternoon itself at the institutes’s premise without having to physically be present at the Computer test centres.

      Another proof of elearning advancement in the driving school industry is JPJ’s ability to provide potential driving school students free text books which can be downloaded without any payment from its web site.

      Through e learning also, driving students can in the foreseable future be able to sit for their theory tests on Highway Code using their own computer without having to leave their homes at all. They can be linked to MyEg and MySpeed computer test centres all over the country.

  6. Mr Teoh April 25, 2014 at 7:13 pm - Reply

    Hi Cikgu Yap, I see from the net that the requirement to become a E class driver should be a one year D komoeten driver. Can I know how to qualify as D komoeten as I already have D license.

    • Cikgu Yap May 1, 2014 at 11:10 am - Reply

      You seem to already know the requirements.

  7. dixon May 20, 2014 at 9:24 pm - Reply

    to drive a 12 or 15 seater van like nissan urvan, existing D license is sufficient ?

    • Cikgu Yap May 22, 2014 at 6:01 pm - Reply

      The van you mentioned needs a D license only.

      • Theresa Chin November 4, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

        Cikgu Yap,
        Further to this, how about a 20 seater van like Maxus?

  8. K.C. October 27, 2014 at 11:56 am - Reply

    Dear Cikgu Yap, does E1 & E2 still exist or it there only E license available for now? I need to get a E1 license, how much do you charge? Tq.

Leave A Comment